Disney

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
So, my wife told me last night that her and my mother have decided next years trip should be to Orlando. Of course, that means at least a couple days as Disney (my son is 6). Trying to figure out what points options I have.

Flights are easy, I'll just use UR transferred to whomever is good at the time and pay taxes/fuel with my CSP for the trip delay benefits. My flight will be paid for, working my my lifetime status and still need more butt in seat miles. My uncle has a house about 6 miles from Disney so accommodations are already taken care of for us. Also have his car available, as long as I top off the gas tank before we leave.

For the tickets, the only thing I'm seeing is the Arrival+ and buying from undercover tourist so they can be wiped off. I would need 2 adult and 1 child, probably buy them separately so I can wipe them off one at a time.

Anyone know of other options? Something I'm forgetting?

Peridot83

Level 2 Member
Buy discount gift cards and load to a Disney Savings Account. You get a $20 bonus for every $1000 you save.

Lappie

Level 2 Member
Capital One Venture may work as well. Similar to Arrival+.

I live in the area and I try to stay away as much as possible.

I wish I had some good tips for you, but Disney has pretty much locked down all the "hacks" that used to work because they were all shared so much. I have a buddy that works there now so if we go, we get in free, so its been awhile since I bought tix.

We usually park @ Disney Village and take the bus to a hotel and then wherever we are going to save on parking. Not sure with a 6 year old that's a good idea to save a few bucks since you will probably be carrying a bunch o stuff.

Dont forget this as well:
https://saverocity.com/forum/threads/disney-fastpass-hacking.117/

Last edited:

Sesq

Level 2 Member
For the tickets, the only thing I'm seeing is the Arrival+ and buying from undercover tourist so they can be wiped off. I would need 2 adult and 1 child, probably buy them separately so I can wipe them off one at a time.
You can also buy them from orbitz or cheaptickets (same company) and pick up a portal bonus. A couple years ago there was a moment when ebates had a 20% portal bonus, but that seems to have no happened again. You have to watch the portals since they have different rates for different purchases. I got 5% back from TCB to orbitz. At the time they had 8% as events and the tix were listed as "events" but ultimately coded as activities at 5%. There was at the time 6.88% for activities for cheaptickets, so I lost a little there. Since Orbitz/cheap tickets are travel agents you can redeem them as travel for arrivals.

Sometimes the rate is only 1-2%, so you have to watch it a bit.

Make sure you family doesn't take an interest in universal, since doing both is expensive. My Harry Potter obsessed daughter had my arrivals card working hard this spring to build up the points for that redemption.

Mike @ The Hustle Blog

Level 2 Member
I don't know if this is possible, but I was just there the other week for wife's conference at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. They had discounted rates sold at the Disney gift shop in the hotel so I guess, technically, there would be a way to hack your way into that. Saved us a cool $30 a ticket.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
So, my wife told me last night that her and my mother have decided next years trip should be to Orlando. Of course, that means at least a couple days as Disney (my son is 6). Trying to figure out what points options I have.

Flights are easy, I'll just use UR transferred to whomever is good at the time and pay taxes/fuel with my CSP for the trip delay benefits. My flight will be paid for, working my my lifetime status and still need more butt in seat miles. My uncle has a house about 6 miles from Disney so accommodations are already taken care of for us. Also have his car available, as long as I top off the gas tank before we leave.

Anyone know of other options? Something I'm forgetting?
Undercover Tourist is a good option, but a better option is to subscribe to mousesavers.com newsletter. Once a month, you'll get a newsletter with a link to Undercover Tourist with even cheaper options for tickets.

Haley

I am not a robot
Your Uncle can buy discounted local tickets that may be your best option, so check those.
Buy discounted gift cards and use them to pay for the tickets.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
They just announced free dining dates! As usual with Disney, it's not free as you give up all other discounts and have to buy a full package from Disney! But, COULD be a good value (do the math). Disney's site reminds of Ticketmaster 15 years ago where everything keeps timing out....

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
They just announced free dining dates! As usual with Disney, it's not free as you give up all other discounts and have to buy a full package from Disney! But, COULD be a good value (do the math). Disney's site reminds of Ticketmaster 15 years ago where everything keeps timing out....
It seems that for most people, you can get a better deal with a % off on a hotel. The problem with the dining plan is it can just be too much food. I frequently see people at the end of their trip buying up a bunch of overpriced snacks to use up their snack credits, etc. . . For a family of five, we average $100 a day on food. But, we also don't do character dining.

projectx

Level 2 Member
It seems that for most people, you can get a better deal with a % off on a hotel. The problem with the dining plan is it can just be too much food. I frequently see people at the end of their trip buying up a bunch of overpriced snacks to use up their snack credits, etc. . . For a family of five, we average $100 a day on food. But, we also don't do character dining.
Each person has to do the math. But if you are paying for the meal plan as opposed to out of pocket, for the most part just pads Disney's bottom line. Unless you go to the priciest restaurants and order the most expensive items, you're better off paying out of pocket. When we went on a short 5-day trip last year, I actually kept a tally just to see if my estimates were correct. We ate whatever we wanted to eat, whenever we wanted it. Sometimes that meant dessert, sometimes not, sometimes a soda with a meal, etc. We also did two character meals and had an additional quick service that we wouldn't have had enough credits for under the DDP, and still came out ahead $100.

Last edited:

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Exactly. The meal plan, for the most part, just pads Disney's bottom line. Unless you go to the priciest restaurants and order the most expensive items, you're better off paying out of pocket. When we went on a short 5-day trip last year, I actually kept a tally just to see if my estimates were correct. We ate whatever we wanted to eat, whenever we wanted it. Sometimes that meant dessert, sometimes not, sometimes a soda with a meal, etc. We also did two character meals and had an additional quick service that we wouldn't have had enough credits for under the DDP, and still came out ahead $100.
Financially, I agree that buying the meal plan outright is a poor financial decision in probably 99%+ situations. However, the "FREE" dining plan is worth considering, if you're going during those dates. You're giving up your room discount and ticket discounts and in exchange getting a FREE dining plan. I would say that generally the FREE dining plan can actually save you money.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Financially, I agree that buying the meal plan outright is a poor financial decision in probably 99%+ situations. However, the "FREE" dining plan is worth considering, if you're going during those dates.
Oh absolutely. I was more agreeing with the fact that the dining plan, if paying for it, is not a good offer. I do think that the free dining plan is usually worth it, but obviously I did a bad job of explaining all that! Unfortunately for us we are only able to travel during peak times, so we haven't had the luxury of choosing.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Make sure you family doesn't take an interest in universal, since doing both is expensive. My Harry Potter obsessed daughter had my arrivals card working hard this spring to build up the points for that redemption.
If she is Harry Potter obsessed, the Universal Season Passes are only a little more expensive than the 2-day pass. Plus it is really nice to have the luxury of dropping in an hour or two before closing, or just go for a couple of hours at park opening (when there are almost no lines) and not having to waste a day of admission.

Of course Disney has 'Disney Power', but I think the Seuss land at Universal is very well done for little kiddos (say under 5), and the rollercoasters, etc are actually better at Universal for older kids. Plus Harry Potter... Universal park days can be a cheap way to pad a Disney trip.

Also, be sure and get a ticket with Water Park days. It's only a little bit more expensive, but they can be used on different days than the park tickets. I think you have up to 14 days to use a multi-day Disney Pass, so a 3-day pass with water parks can really last you six days of park time if the kids like the water parks.

Last edited:

Sesq

Level 2 Member
If she is Harry Potter obsessed, the Universal Season Passes are only a little more expensive than the 2-day pass. Plus it is really nice to have the luxury of dropping in an hour or two before closing, or just go for a couple of hours at park opening (when there are almost no lines) and not having to waste a day of admission.
Ha, just bought the tix yesterday. Perhaps some one else benefits. We are staying one night at the Loew's to get the early entrance perk and the cut the line benefits. Its the last day before we head to Tampa to visit family. Then again, we are back to Tampa for almost a week at Thanksgiving . . . .

I haven't been to Universal, but it actually looks like the better park. Disney is the "event" this trip. It may well be that Universal gets our repeat business on smaller side trips when we are back in the area.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Ha, just bought the tix yesterday. Perhaps some one else benefits. We are staying one night at the Loew's to get the early entrance perk and the cut the line benefits. Its the last day before we head to Tampa to visit family. Then again, we are back to Tampa for almost a week at Thanksgiving . . . .

I haven't been to Universal, but it actually looks like the better park. Disney is the "event" this trip. It may well be that Universal gets our repeat business on smaller side trips when we are back in the area.
If the tickets were unused, you might stop by the CS office and see if they will refund/credit the purchase price towards a season pass.

I have looked at staying at Loews, but couldn't justify the premium price over off-park properties. Did you find any interesting rates?

Sesq

Level 2 Member
If the tickets were unused, you might stop by the CS office and see if they will refund/credit the purchase price towards a season pass.

I have looked at staying at Loews, but couldn't justify the premium price over off-park properties. Did you find any interesting rates?
I have about 1M AA miles after the AA Exec fun last year (and other CC churning). Our burn rate is low (one big trip a year for a family of four, and a few smaller side trips), so following the advice of one of the bloggers here I cashed in AA miles for the Loew's redemption. It was like a penny a point (30k or so), so not something I'd do as a habit but for one night it seems worthwhile. I guess I'll find out in June.

https://saverocity.com/theamericantravelproject/2014/03/19/universal-studios-orlando-free/

In her post she got a great deal on universal tix via Amex MR. The rates I saw were quite a bit more and my stash of MR is only a bit over 100k. So we went the Arrivals route for that.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I have about 1M AA miles after the AA Exec fun last year (and other CC churning). Our burn rate is low (one big trip a year for a family of four, and a few smaller side trips), so following the advice of one of the bloggers here I cashed in AA miles for the Loew's redemption. It was like a penny a point (30k or so), so not something I'd do as a habit but for one night it seems worthwhile. I guess I'll find out in June.

https://saverocity.com/theamericantravelproject/2014/03/19/universal-studios-orlando-free/

In her post she got a great deal on universal tix via Amex MR. The rates I saw were quite a bit more and my stash of MR is only a bit over 100k. So we went the Arrivals route for that.
Cool, thanks! Won't be redeeming my AA miles at 1 cpp anytime soon, but then again, I'm not sitting on a 7 figure balance. :D

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Previously mentioned, but +1 on using discounted gift cards. Disney cards are also available at a surprising number of merchants, giving you the opportunity to double/triple dip if you have cards and/or portals that pay bonuses at those stores (think Lowes, Home Depot, Office supply, grocery).

Somewhat OT: I only have two tips on the park experience (been 10+ years for my family).
  1. You can ride in the front of the monorail (where the 'driver' sits) which kids love. You have to ask the attendants and you may have to wait 2-3 trains depending on demand. (Who am I fooling, *I* loved it too!)
  2. If you eat/snack at tomorrow land terrace right before the fireworks, Tinkerbell flies RIGHT OVER their outside patio at a height of about 20 feet. This was the most 'Disney Magical' moment of our trip for my daughter (then 4 1/2), and it was totally accidental for us.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
It's no longer allowed for anyone to ride in the front of the monorail. I think that stopped some years back.

Also the Tomorrowland Terrace viewing is reservations only for a 'dessert party' during the fireworks, but there are several other spots nearby to view Tinkerbell as she flies overhead.

Last edited:

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
It's no longer allowed for anyone to ride in the front of the monorail. I think that stopped some years back.

Also the Tomorrowland Terrace is reservations only for a 'dessert party' during the fireworks, but there are several other spots nearby to view Tinkerbell as she flies overhead.
Heh, so much for my two hot tips. :) Too bad on both accounts.

From what I've read over the last several months, it sure seems like the Disney experience is going downhill to a very-much "Pay more to enjoy the magic". It seems that most/all of these experiences are being priced beyond the financial capabilities of even folks with solid middle-class incomes. Again, such a shame that Disney is losing touch with its roots.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
Heh, so much for my two hot tips. :) Too bad on both accounts.

From what I've read over the last several months, it sure seems like the Disney experience is going downhill to a very-much "Pay more to enjoy the magic". It seems that most/all of these experiences are being priced beyond the financial capabilities of even folks with solid middle-class incomes. Again, such a shame that Disney is losing touch with its roots.
Yeah, it's very expensive! People bitch and moan, but they still take their kids to Disney and worry about paying for it later. The parks are crowded even now, and school isn't out yet for the summer.

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
So... I've been doing some more research based off the good info provided on the forums. Got a few new questions.

My intention is to use my Arrival+ to wipe off the tickets, I figure (since I have a year before this trip) if I average around 2k USD/mo spend I should have enough points (counting the bonus, I just got the card). Can go lower due to the free points from the travel community and fan zone. This is doable for me, even with my lack of MS opportunities. I'm looking at 3 day passes for 3 people, we're only going to be down there for about a week and my son will be 7. I think 3 days, 3 different parks, should be more than enough for us.

Undercover tourist has the tickets, but basically no discount. It looks like their discounts really kick in around 4 day passes. I am a disabled vet (not 100%), so I know I can go to Shades of Green and buy tickets there. Vets don't get the good military discounts, but we are allowed to purchase there without sales taxes which works out to effectively being a 6.5% discount. It is a ticket agent in a hotel, so should code as travel but if it doesn't... From what I've read that people have had good chances getting Barclay to recode things.

Am I missing anything, or is going through Shades of Green (the military resort on Disney grounds) the best option for me?

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
So... I've been doing some more research based off the good info provided on the forums. Got a few new questions.

My intention is to use my Arrival+ to wipe off the tickets, I figure (since I have a year before this trip) if I average around 2k USD/mo spend I should have enough points (counting the bonus, I just got the card). Can go lower due to the free points from the travel community and fan zone. This is doable for me, even with my lack of MS opportunities. I'm looking at 3 day passes for 3 people, we're only going to be down there for about a week and my son will be 7. I think 3 days, 3 different parks, should be more than enough for us.

Undercover tourist has the tickets, but basically no discount. It looks like their discounts really kick in around 4 day passes. I am a disabled vet (not 100%), so I know I can go to Shades of Green and buy tickets there. Vets don't get the good military discounts, but we are allowed to purchase there without sales taxes which works out to effectively being a 6.5% discount. It is a ticket agent in a hotel, so should code as travel but if it doesn't... From what I've read that people have had good chances getting Barclay to recode things.

Am I missing anything, or is going through Shades of Green (the military resort on Disney grounds) the best option for me?
Disney usually has a military discount on tickets. Did you check on the Disney website for tickets?

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
Disney usually has a military discount on tickets. Did you check on the Disney website for tickets?
As I said, I am no longer active duty so all the military discounts do not apply to me. Shades of Green, the military resort on Disney, is allowed to sell veterans Disney tickets at normal cost but without Fl sales tax. That is effectively a discount of 6.5%, which is the best discount I can find for 3 day passes. If you know of a better discount, please let me know.

Lappie

Level 2 Member
What is "Disney Village"?
Actually, I call it that, it might be called Downtown Disney now. But its an area near all the Disney hotels that are outside the parks. Its got a bunch of restaurants and shops.

Its got a AMC Dine theater, that we go to alot, and a Cirque Soleil.

MK17

Love to Travel
Buy discount gift cards and load to a Disney Savings Account. You get a $20 bonus for every $1000 you save.
Do you know if this would include using VCG's (Metabank) or MCG's from Staples or OM/OD for loading the account?

mlick41954

Level 2 Member
We used parksavers.com to purchase our 7 day park hopper tickets for our family. This will save you $50 per ticket.

Also, Downtown Disney is now officially called Disney Springs.