Discover Cashback Checking

smittytabb

Staff member
Have an offer for Discover Cashback Checking with a $50 bonus. Anyone have any experience with this account? Seems like a good deal and comes with a debit card as well.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I have this, its an ok account, almost free $50, the cashback debit card is not scalable, their terms say if you structure payments through debit card, they will close it.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I opened it to get the $50 and it is helpful for MO deps using WU MOs, but the mobile banking Deposit a Check feature seems to go on the fritz periodically and it won't accepts MG MOs. MO deps to UFB seem to always work; Discover Bank just seems more finicky.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Free ACH push/pull, neither quick nor slow.

Alas, I get the following message every time I log in (typos are theirs, not mine):
We are currently performing system maintenance
We’re sorry. We are currently undergoing a scheduled system maintenance. At this time, your current and available balance information may not reflect the recent transactions posted to your account.You wil be able to view the past 45 days of your account information, and it has been updated as of <DATE>.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
They're also doing a promo of 20c back on each transaction with their debit card, max 100 transactions a month, ending December 31st. I'm using this for $2-3 purchases at 7/11 in place of OBC.

ACL

Level 2 Member
Is that 20c per transaction promo targeted @PainCorp? I have this card but am not finding any info about the promo you mentioned, although it could be useful if I'm eligible!

ACL

Level 2 Member
I received the email a few days ago as well and it does seem to indicate it is open for all.

ACL

Level 2 Member
Was considering buying multiple 50 cent Amazon GCs during this promo period to essentially get 40% off a 50$ Amazon GC but am worried that would get shutdown if I maxed it out... I' going to do at least a bit though and see how it goes.

MnWolf

Level 2 Member
This seems like the right thread to bump for this question. I opened a Discover checking account back in mid-November (2015), using an offer code that I had seen on the DoC website. The application said that the bonus ($300) was only available to people who had directly received the offer via mail (or email, I forget which). The requirement was 500 in direct deposit in the first 30 days, and the bonus would be allocated to your account 30 days after that requirement was completed. I completed the requirement on December 4th, with actual payroll direct deposits.

My question to the community: Since it's been well over 30 days, should I call and ask about the bonus? It could certainly be argued that I am not entitled to the bonus. On the one hand, I don't see that I would be hurting anybody's gig to call, but on the other hand I've learned enough that that "Don't call" is my default action in times like this.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
This seems like the right thread to bump for this question. I opened a Discover checking account back in mid-November (2015), using an offer code that I had seen on the DoC website. The application said that the bonus ($300) was only available to people who had directly received the offer via mail (or email, I forget which). The requirement was 500 in direct deposit in the first 30 days, and the bonus would be allocated to your account 30 days after that requirement was completed. I completed the requirement on December 4th, with actual payroll direct deposits.

My question to the community: Since it's been well over 30 days, should I call and ask about the bonus? It could certainly be argued that I am not entitled to the bonus. On the one hand, I don't see that I would be hurting anybody's gig to call, but on the other hand I've learned enough that that "Don't call" is my default action in times like this.
This is one of those instances where its ok to call, the offer is long gone in the past :)

Umashankar

Level 2 Member

I got the bonus a month ago.. When did you open you account. ?? I know discover has later changed the terms,, $ 30o bonus is a unique and can be applied only by email invitation.... Talk to discover customer service if you think you are eligible for the bonus, also you can open a complaint with CFPB as well

MnWolf

Level 2 Member
I called today, they are being strict on only allowing accounts which had the email invitation. I just used to code that I found on DoC. Nothing that I could do.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I called today, they are being strict on only allowing accounts which had the email invitation. I just used to code that I found on DoC. Nothing that I could do.
The terms changed after a certain date (check reddit or doc of credit), your only hope is that you applied before the change in terms.

RobWV

I don't think anyone that applied before the term change had any problem getting the bonus credited to their account.

MnWolf

Level 2 Member
Yes, I applied with just a few days left in the offer. When I called to ask whether I'd get the bonus, I don't think that I had an unreasonable case. I have a couple of savings accounts with them, and I had been getting offers a couple of times a month for their credit card and to open a checking account, but I didn't consider it until I saw the offer online, by that time the mail had been shredded. The CSR said that they would check into it, but by the specifics of the offer, I don't qualify.