Didn't realize how valuable URs really were...(Hotel Booking)

MaiJohnson

Level 2 Member
I'm getting ready for a long distance move of myself, friends, and family, and I've got to say I'd heard that UR has some of the best partners, but I really wasn't expecting the kind of value per point I just received.

I transferred 20k URs over to a newly opened Hyatt account, and managed to book nice two double + sofa rooms about every eight hours to stop and rest, then off to the next hotel spot the following day, ending with a two night stay in Denver while waiting for our AirBNB to open up. For a total of 4 nights/3 stays, or around 700$ in hotel stays over the 4th of July holiday weekend. I know I've seen other people do better, but getting around 3.5 cents per point is just amazing, and likely something I wouldn't have looked into without this forum or Reddit.

So thanks to everyone here, and encouragement to everyone else to take advantage of these things.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I love Hyatt. I just made a C+P booking for a 4-night stay in Raleigh at $55 + 4K points night, when the cash price on the room was $178/night. My OoP after tax was $248, when the cash price after tax was going to be $801. That makes my 16K points worth 3.45 cents a piece.

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
I didn't use them to book a hotel (since I had a lot of Starwood points), and I booked 2 First class tickets on United and get the same 3.5 cents per point. Ultimate Rewards are by far the most valuable and most flexible when it comes to points. I've always loved URs cause I always liked United as an airline, but as you've seen you can get solid value out of them almost anywhere.

Good Luck on your move/trip!

MaiJohnson

Level 2 Member
I love Hyatt. I just made a C+P booking for a 4-night stay in Raleigh at $55 + 4K points night, when the cash price on the room was $178/night. My OoP after tax was $248, when the cash price after tax was going to be $801. That makes my 16K points worth 3.45 cents a piece.
That's another smart piece of advice for me to consider if I want to stay at a higher category hotel at some point.

I didn't use them to book a hotel (since I had a lot of Starwood points), and I booked 2 First class tickets on United and get the same 3.5 cents per point.
Thanks for the well-wishes, but that's also good info to consider, I'd looked into Southwest being close to one of their hubs for the redemption CPP was kinda low at around 1.3, so United will probably be something to consider.

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Yea Southwest is usually a pretty terrible rate for some odd reason (don't know orbits because they are a low cost carrier or what). I live near EWR which is a United hub, so I usually fly them because the redemption rate is usually around 3ish cents per point.

MaiJohnson

Level 2 Member
Yea Southwest is usually a pretty terrible rate for some odd reason (don't know orbits because they are a low cost carrier or what). I live near EWR which is a United hub, so I usually fly them because the redemption rate is usually around 3ish cents per point.
Yeah, from my understanding DIA is United/Frontier/Southwest as far as their primary carriers, and Frontier is no where near as awesome as it was when I flew it a bit 7 or 8 years ago so that's probably going to be a big help.