Diamond Upgrade

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK. I have Diamond status, at least through March and I must say that it is less than stellar. I have gotten lounge privileges and breakfasts which we were permitted to eat in the main restaurant.

I have limited experience but I think I have about six stays and have never gotten an upgrade. I guess it's never been "available." To contrast I am Accor Platinum and always get upgrades, often double and once the Presidential Suite! Even in Ritz Carlton with zero stays I got a nice upgrade just for being a member!

The reason I'm asking is I can book a cheap room and get club access and (maybe) an upgrade, or book a better room and pay more. Any suggestions or advice?

Craig

Level 2 Member
OK. I have Diamond status, at least through March and I must say that it is less than stellar. I have gotten lounge privileges and breakfasts which we were permitted to eat in the main restaurant.

I have limited experience but I think I have about six stays and have never gotten an upgrade. I guess it's never been "available." To contrast I am Accor Platinum and always get upgrades, often double and once the Presidential Suite! Even in Ritz Carlton with zero stays I got a nice upgrade just for being a member!

The reason I'm asking is I can book a cheap room and get club access and (maybe) an upgrade, or book a better room and pay more. Any suggestions or advice?
What exactly are you asking? Whether to book a cheaper room and hope for an upgrade, or pay for the more expensive room to guarantee you get it?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
What exactly are you asking? Whether to book a cheaper room and hope for an upgrade, or pay for the more expensive room to guarantee you get it?
Yes. What's the point of status if it doesn't get you anything but what's the point of staying in a not nice room? A lot of people say that they are nearly always upgraded with Hilton Diamond but we have not. Also most hotels with club lounges allow you to have breakfast in the main restaurant if you choose, but in Columbus OH they did not.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Yes. What's the point of status if it doesn't get you anything but what's the point of staying in a not nice room? A lot of people say that they are nearly always upgraded with Hilton Diamond but we have not. Also most hotels with club lounges allow you to have breakfast in the main restaurant if you choose, but in Columbus OH they did not.
I've stayed at 4 Hiltons over the past 2 months and have been upgraded at all of them - and they were all award stays. Sounds like you've just had bad luck. You can always call the hotel and ask if they upgrade Diamonds - if they say not generally or something along those lines, then book the room you want. Have you asked for an upgrade at the properties that you haven't been?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a loyal Hilton and Hyatt Diamond. Status means little beyond the terms offered: IE things like free breakfast and whatnot.

I've not stayed in a Hilton in years, but one of the last ones we did stay at was a Waldorf Astoria in Panama with an upgrade to the Presidential Suite, it was on the top two floors of the building.

The other notable upgrade was in India as SPG Golds where we got three bed suites with massage chairs and dining rooms...

Other than that, we've had some nice rooms, but no other major upgrades.

All the above stays have been on points. I haven't paid for a room that I can recall (might have happened in small places like Sri Lankan towns but nothing in a chain in at least the past 7-8 years)

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK. I only have Hilton as backup to Sofitel and the places that my wife insists on like Mandarin Oriental in Singapore and(especially) Bangkok. When we take a driving trip we always used Hampton so drifted towards Hilton for that reason. We spent 186 nights away from home last year with a handful at my brothers home, 50 on a ship and 85 at Sofitels or other Accor properties.

I don't know how you get so many points for hotels. Ours have mostly gone for flights. We put what we can on credit cards but other than the few things we purchase, travel, cable and mobile phone we just don't spend a lot.

I have about 260K Hilton points, mostly from card bonuses and paid stays. I'm still never certain when to use points. TPG says they are worth half a cent so 40000 for a $200 room but the price never seems right.

Our philosophy is also not yours as we would nearly always pay for a room in a hotel we like than use points for one we don't. I have just noticed that we have never gotten an upgrade in Hilton, although buffet breakfast is a nice perk.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have leveraged status matching and various credit cards to get high status with most of the hotel groups. I get upgraded all the time. Really. I am Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Best Western Platinum. I've been in this a long time and I have benefitted countless times. I have gotten upgraded with all of these programs and often with award stays. For special occasions, I write the hotel manager. For other situations I just wing it at the desk. Maybe it's the charm:) But how you treat the desk staff and all the staff matters IMHO.

mrredskin

The Mac-Daddy of low-ball status
depends on your definition of an upgrade, too.

I have leveraged status matching and various credit cards to get high status with most of the hotel groups. I get upgraded all the time. Really. I am Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Best Western Platinum. I've been in this a long time and I have benefitted countless times. I have gotten upgraded with all of these programs and often with award stays. For special occasions, I write the hotel manager. For other situations I just wing it at the desk. Maybe it's the charm:) But how you treat the desk staff and all the staff matters IMHO.
any type of leverage you could recommend for someone with hilton diamond and IHG Plat for retaining or having in 2018?

smittytabb

Staff member
depends on your definition of an upgrade, too.

any type of leverage you could recommend for someone with hilton diamond and IHG Plat for retaining or having in 2018?
All kinds of things are upgrades. Business class rooms with Club Carlson (got three of those this month), amazing suite at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago (when I was using my Hilton free night), incredible suite at the Bentley in Miami using my two free night certs, beautiful suites with Marriott at the JW in Macau (on points), in Waikiki at the Marriott. I cannot even remember them all....

Check statusmatcher.com

My best advice is don't be an asshole when you check in. I am serious. So many people are thinking they are throwing their weight around. Humility works better.

mrredskin

The Mac-Daddy of low-ball status
yeah i've never understood why people have such issues getting an upgrade if space is available. I assume they let the status go to their head and think they are entitled to one, and lay that out at the beginning. Chatting up the front desk gets you a lot farther and often times they will work with you.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I never assume and status is nothing but so far have never ever gotten any sort of upgrade from Hilton but from sofitel always including some huge suites. I kno0w space has to have been available at least once! I just say got free breakfast and extra points and avoid Hilton whenever possible.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Just booked a Hilton in Minneapolis and got the message that Diamond members receive upgrades "subject to availability" We'll see what that means in a couple of weeks.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We're at the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina in Key West and this weekend the hotel is completely full. We didn't get any upgrade. Our room is an odd-shaped affair too tiny to keep the closet door open. In another era, this room is where the ladies' maid would have slept. Overall this historic hotel has disappointed us. I guess the quality of the room can make or break the entire stay.

Thankfully we aren't out money since we paid in points. But it's a sad last harrah for our expiring Diamond status.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
We're at the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina in Key West and this weekend the hotel is completely full. We didn't get any upgrade. Our room is an odd-shaped affair too tiny to keep the closet door open. In another era, this room is where the ladies' maid would have slept. Overall this historic hotel has disappointed us. I guess the quality of the room can make or break the entire stay.

Thankfully we aren't out money since we paid in points. But it's a sad last harrah for our expiring Diamond status.
Enjoy! We stayed at the Hyatt Centric two weeks ago for the first time. It was nice enough. I do like to be closer to the port end of Duval street so I've yet to try either Waldorf.