Diamond : Hilton vs Hyatt

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I recently attained Hilton Diamond status, and thanks to Hyatt's Status Match Bonanza am now also Hyatt Diamond. However, I have not had a chance to enjoy any stays at either chain at those levels, so am curious to know if there are any material differences between the two Diamonds? I ask with a view to staying in Tokyo in mid-Jan, and as of right now am staying at a Hilton, but wondering if maybe a Hyatt might be a better option?

DanT

Level 2 Member
Hyatt gives you 4 confirmed suite upgrades per year on paid stays. Each upgrade is good for a stay of up to 7 days. Hyatt has some great properties in tokyo by all accounts. Will this be a paid or award stay?

I recently attained Hilton Diamond status, and thanks to Hyatt's Status Match Bonanza am now also Hyatt Diamond. However, I have not had a chance to enjoy any stays at either chain at those levels, so am curious to know if there are any material differences between the two Diamonds? I ask with a view to staying in Tokyo in mid-Jan, and as of right now am staying at a Hilton, but wondering if maybe a Hyatt might be a better option?

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
Hyatt gives you 4 confirmed suite upgrades per year on paid stays. Each upgrade is good for a stay of up to 7 days. Hyatt has some great properties in tokyo by all accounts. Will this be a paid or award stay?
Award stay. Do both give breakfasts and free wifi? Anything differentiating?

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
All the benefits are detailed on their websites (you just need to fix links and replace DOT with .):
http://hhonors3.hiltonDOTcom/en/explore/benefits/index.html (View Diamond Status)
http://www.hyattDOTcom/gp/en/benefits/membership_diamond.jsp

With that said, you'll see variation from property to property. Some hotels have a great lounge whereas others are OK. Even though Hilton Diamond specifically excludes suite upgrades, I've gotten them as a Gold. If I had to rank them, I would say, in general, Hyatt Diamond is better than Hilton Diamond.

Billiken

Level 2 Member
I've been Hilton Diamond for approximately 10 years (last three via manufactured spending).
Upgrades are very rare, even more so on a multi-night stay.

Have been upgraded a few Hyatts, just as a platinum.....

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Hilton breakfast is only for 2 ppl, even if the reservation is for more than 2**. Hyatt is for 4.

** if another guest staying with you is also Gold or above, they get their own free breakfast and don't count towards the limit.

kellybme

Level 2 Member
It probably depends on the property but my experience has been that the upgraded rooms and breakfasts are better at the Hyatt.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Hyatt is generally better than Hilton and Hyatt diamond is better than Hilton diamond. But it really is more about the individual hotels in a circumstance like this.
If I were you, I'd look at the flyer talk reviews of the specific hotels I'm considering or ask on here. In the FT reviews people usually comment on their treatment as a diamond, so you can get your bearings from that.
We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. Probably best we've ever had. The little touches and consideration were just top notch. However, I found that customer service in Tokyo in general was very thoughtful, so my experience doesn't really help you decide, since the service and experience at the Hilton might be great too.
Seems like the obvious difference would be if you have more than two people in the room, your free Hilton breakfast probably won't cover everyone (unless someone else in the room is also an elite, as helpfully pointed out above - I didn't realize that)
(Fixed some typos)