Denied again :(

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
Hello fellow travel hackers.

Today I was denied for a new card the 3rd time in a row. After years of very little resistance in the game, this is a bit depressing.

Here is the list of cards my spouse and I have applied for in the month of September and been denied for;
  • Spouse and I - Capital One Savor
  • Spouse and I - US Bank Altitude Reserve
  • Spouse - Bank of America Premium Rewards Visa - Denied
  • Myself - Terps Visa Signature Rewards (Michigan Education CU)
The main reason? Too many cards opened in the last X months (typically 24 months). Their reasoning is valid, as I am 16/24 (my wife is about the same), but I've never had so much denial in a row. Anybody else experiencing this or am I just hitting a bad string of luck? I'm contemplating taking a sabatical from applying for new cards and instead focusing on maximizing multipliers. Thoughts?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Our denial rates have also gone up significantly. It used to be maybe 10% of all apps. Now it's like 30%. You are getting the usual suspects - BOA, USB, and CapOne. On the other hand, no denial from Chase or Amex for last 6-8 cards in 2 years (per person), and only one Barclay denial in 2 years (3 cards per year).

Yes, denials are higher for me as well especially from the banks you mentioned. Success rate is higher if you have a long term banking relationship with them.

Yes, denials are higher for me as well especially from the banks you mentioned. Success rate is higher if you have a long term banking relationship with them.
This is sort of why since i'm in the early-to-mid game of credit cards, i'm trying to pick up at least one card from each issuer as soon as I can. Right now i'm looking at getting the BofA cash rewards, USB cash+ and citi DC as soon as some hard pulls fall off my report in a couple of months.

I don't see many other churners using this strategy, but I noticed banks are willing to extend you lot's of credit if you've been with them for over a year and trust you more if you sign up for another card. My discover card recently increased my credit line to $4300.

This is sort of why since i'm in the early-to-mid game of credit cards, i'm trying to pick up at least one card from each issuer as soon as I can. Right now i'm looking at getting the BofA cash rewards, USB cash+ and citi DC as soon as some hard pulls fall off my report in a couple of months.

I don't see many other churners using this strategy, but I noticed banks are willing to extend you lot's of credit if you've been with them for over a year and trust you more if you sign up for another card. My discover card recently increased my credit line to $4300.
Thats a good plan, any other type of relation like checking a/c, car loan, mortgage are very helpful as well.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I knew Cap1 could be finicky but I thought BoA was pretty loose with approvals. No?

Anybody know what both of these banks criteria is? I waited to get under 5/24 this year, but now have 5 pulls with 4 personal and 1 biz since January. Currently sitting at 4/24. 2 new cards in July. I plan on applying for the Cap1 Savor and BoA Premium Rewards in Nov.

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
It kind of hurts to me to do so, but ive resorted to just putting all spend on my unlimited card for now, give my credit history a break for a few months (maybe 3 months if I can manage the self control).