DAN Trip Insurance

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I've heard DAN trip insurance is good and since we're going to be gone for a month this fall, I'm looking into it. Our trip is paid for with miles and points, so I'm not sure how much to put in as far as the cost. They offer three tiers of coverage. Costs are for both of us. Thoughts or personal experience with the company, anyone?

Trip Expense, $15K: $824,$965,$1247
Trip Expense,$5K: $294,$344,$438
Trip Expense, $2.5K: $200, $236, $291

Our trip will be covered with points, miles, and CB so there's very little "actual" expense. Benefits for the $2.5K trip expense are listed below and are per traveler.

Medical Protection
Emergency Assistance & Transportation

($10,000 Emergency Companion Hospitality Expenses)
$250,000
$500,000
$1,000,000

Medical & Dental
$25,000
$50,000
$100,000

Accidental Death & Dismemberment
(Travel Accident)

$10,000
$25,000
$50,000

Trip Cancellation
$1,250
$1,250
$1,250

Trip Interruption
$1,875
$1,875
$1,875

Travel Delay (Per Day Limits Apply)
$1000
$1,500
$2,500

Missed Connection
$500
$1,500
$2,500

Rental Car Damage(not available to Residents of Texas)
n/a
$25,000
$50,000

Trip Cancellation for Any Reason(Optional Coverage) (not available to Residents of NY.)
n/a
n/a
Available

Baggage Protection
Baggage

$1,000
$1,500
$2,500
Sporting Equipment
n/a
$1,500
$2,500
Baggage Delay
$250
$500
$1,000
Sporting Equipment Delay
n/a
$500
$1,000
Assistance Services*
24/7 Emergency Assistance Services

Yes
Yes
Yes
Concierge Services
Yes
Yes
Yes
On Demand Medical Services
Yes
Yes
Yes
ID Theft Resolution Services
Yes
Yes
Yes

plane2port

Level 2 Member
Is this insurance per trip? I am aware of a DAN policy that offers coverage on a yearly basis, but I'm not familiar with any policies that they have on a per trip basis. The Deal Mommy's latest blog is about her experience using Allianz insurance is helpful because it is hard to get data points from people who have actually used their trip insurance.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Yes, it's per trip. At least I'm assuming that since you put in the dates and the cost of your trip. I believe they also have annual options, but any other trips will be in the states. Course a lot of the CCs have trip delay/cancellation coverage. I was primarily looking at DAN in case someone needed an emergency flight home.

I'll check out the blog you mentioned. Thanks.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have an annual policy with DAN as we are divers, and we added on something.. but anyway:

I've a mixed memory on the ability to cover a miles/points trip. I think most policies fail here, IE the credit card covered ones I believe won't cover the flights/cruise etc if not paid with cash... but I think that there was one out there (maybe Allianz) that covered these trips?

There's of course a difference in trying to get the value of the trip back vs pure medical insurance coverage.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I care but I don't care about the miles. If one of us had to be flown out, I imagine there would be more important things to care about.

However, I would like the medical/evacuation coverage. Maybe it would be different if we actually put out $15K for the trip :)

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
For a trip down to South America we used World Nomads. Got robbed pretty aggressively and loads of stuff stolen. They were such a hassle to work with. Likely had 20 conversations with agents regarding coverage on items. Total mess. Wouldn't work with them again. Will be looking into DAN now.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
For a trip down to South America we used World Nomads. Got robbed pretty aggressively and loads of stuff stolen. They were such a hassle to work with. Likely had 20 conversations with agents regarding coverage on items. Total mess. Wouldn't work with them again. Will be looking into DAN now.
What a horrible experience! I'm actually going with Allianz.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I had a quote saved with Allianz. When I went to the site to pay for it (after a new CC arrived), the quote was no longer available. I then tried incognito and again nothing available for international trips. Cruises, domestic, and annual plans are still available.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Have you looked at GeoBlue? I've heard that they are reasonable to work with and have coverage at reasonable costs.
I'm wondering if the change with Allianz is due to Brussels and if it's permanent or temporary.

I hadn't looked at GeoBlue(until you mentioned it). I compared it with Dans's Travel Insurance (which I've also heard good thing about) and the latter is quite a bit cheaper. I don't care about trip insurance per se but I do want emergency medical/evauation coverage if necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion! It's always good to compare plans.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Didn't look into them that much. There are also some higher end options that offer more coverage, but ours was definitely a dirt-bag trip, so we were not too worried.
Actually, since I wrote that, I saw Amex trip insurance coverage which is much better. :)

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
I use Allianz. And I have experience with getting reimbursed as I had my grandmother passed away while I was traveling in the Philipines. Getting reimbursed wasn't too bad. The claims originally got held up because of the agent not being able to get one item check off the list, but they did pay out in full.

Besides that I think it is probably the most affordable travel insurance out there. I often travel on miles and points. Allianz will pay up to $250 for points to be returned. When I buy an insurance policy I set the trip amount to $500 as I really dont have too many prepaid expenses that are not cancellable. This gives me access to the trip interuption insurances, medical evac, theft insurance, etc.. Your rate will depend on your age, but for me it costs about $50. Even better, you can make the trip length 364 days and it still costs the same as a trip lasting 7 days. So you can get a 1 year travel insurance policy for $50. An added bonus. A few cb portals give $6 cb on alliaz.

My wife and I have done quite a bit of long term travel. Always thought it was funny that when we had no health insurance at home because we were unemployed for a while, we had a $50,000 medical insurance policy for $50 a year while we were traveling.