Damaged Luggage

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

My wife just flew back from the east coast on American Airlines. Upon collecting her bag at LAX (Samsonite hard-body spinner--Fiero), the sides were completely smashed in. She immediately took it to baggage support, and filed a damaged baggage claim. Nothing inside was damaged (fortunately--she packs well), but we're a little miffed about the case. Once we got it home and emptied it, I pounded out the dents and it regained its correct shape for the most part, but lots of creases where the dents were, and I question the structural integrity of ABS plastic that has already been severly dented once. We asked for a replacement when we filed the claim, and they gave us a bunch of paperwork and claim number. We haven't done this before, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for moving forward. Attached are photos of the bag.

suitcase1.JPG suitcase2.JPG

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've filed a claim for a soft bag back in the day. They asked me to cut a huge hole in it to prove I wasn't going to use it again, and sent out a new version.. that was High Sierra.

Thanks for the tip to get this bag too :)

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
If they made me destroy this one, I'd be upset for sure. I'm wondering if they'd offer a $150ish e-cert or something instead. I could replicate the previous deal basically...$120 for a replacement + loading bag (wife wants one).

smittytabb

Staff member
Hi all,

My wife just flew back from the east coast on American Airlines. Upon collecting her bag at LAX (Samsonite hard-body spinner--Fiero), the sides were completely smashed in. She immediately took it to baggage support, and filed a damaged baggage claim. Nothing inside was damaged (fortunately--she packs well), but we're a little miffed about the case. Once we got it home and emptied it, I pounded out the dents and it regained its correct shape for the most part, but lots of creases where the dents were, and I question the structural integrity of ABS plastic that has already been severly dented once. We asked for a replacement when we filed the claim, and they gave us a bunch of paperwork and claim number. We haven't done this before, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for moving forward. Attached are photos of the bag.

View attachment 3410 View attachment 3411
I had a very similar thing happen to me with a bag very much like the one pictured. It was also with AA. I had bought the bag in Italy and it is a brand we don't sell in the US. AA completely replaced my bag with a Delsey bag that looked very similar and was the same basic size and qualifications. I no longer remember how long it took, but it was a satisfactory result. Sounds like you handled the thing well and just as you should to file a claim. Hope is goes as well as my claim did.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I had a very similar thing happen to me with a bag very much like the one pictured. It was also with AA. I had bought the bag in Italy and it is a brand we don't sell in the US. AA completely replaced my bag with a Delsey bag that looked very similar and was the same basic size and qualifications. I no longer remember how long it took, but it was a satisfactory result. Sounds like you handled the thing well and just as you should to file a claim. Hope is goes as well as my claim did.
Do they purchase the new bag, or reimburse you for replacing the bag? I ask only because Samsonite is having a pretty solid Memorial Day sale, and the AMEX $30/$150 offer makes it even sweeter, but it ends today. I'm wondering if I should just place the order. Assuming they'd go off the receipt, I could come out ahead from the statement credit.

smittytabb

Staff member
Do they purchase the new bag, or reimburse you for replacing the bag? I ask only because Samsonite is having a pretty solid Memorial Day sale, and the AMEX $30/$150 offer makes it even sweeter, but it ends today. I'm wondering if I should just place the order. Assuming they'd go off the receipt, I could come out ahead from the statement credit.
I would not buy a bag yourself as they may not want to reimburse you. My recollection is they sent me the new bag without involving me in the buying process.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
AA completely replaced my bag with a Delsey bag that looked very similar and was the same basic size and qualifications.
I should clarify, in my 'case' I got the replacement from the bag manufacturer... that might make this:

If they made me destroy this one, I'd be upset for sure. I'm wondering if they'd offer a $150ish e-cert or something instead. I could replicate the previous deal basically...$120 for a replacement + loading bag (wife wants one).
Possible.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I would not buy a bag yourself as they may not want to reimburse you. My recollection is they sent me the new bag without involving me in the buying process.
That's tough, given that it's a pretty solid deal. Too bad Samsonite doesn't offer free return shipping. I doubt I'd get any sort of finite answer from AA by the time the sale ends.

User2016

Level 2 Member
If you had booked the tics using CC , you might as well call them and relay back what happened. I had similar exp with SW last year and Amex handled it pretty well for me. I provided them with claim num and transaction details and they made a one time exception and reimbursed 125$ .

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
If you had booked the tics using CC , you might as well call them and relay back what happened. I had similar exp with SW last year and Amex handled it pretty well for me. I provided them with claim num and transaction details and they made a one time exception and reimbursed 125$ .
This was a cash-based fare, but booked using Citi ThankYou points.