Cuba!

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
So, who (of the American participants on the board) is excited to do some traveling to Cuba in the near future? I'm not interested in starting a conversation about politics but I've always wanted to visit Cuba and am excited that is seems like it will be possible soon. If you've been before, please share your experiences!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Mememe. One of the attractions to me to living in, say, MX in the winter is that you can travel freely to Cuba. Regular flights from Mexico City. And, once in Cuba, the officials there put a note into your passport, rather than stamping it, if you are from the US. Why, after all, would they jeopardize the American tourist money?

But being able to go there legitimately? Even better.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
As soon as they make it easy to go there I'm there. Even if it is just for a long weekend. Should be fascinating!

Also, they were talking about letting US banks work with Cuban banks now, which means we can use our credit cards in Cuba! Apparently you could only do cash as an American before.

smittytabb

Staff member
So, who (of the American participants on the board) is excited to do some traveling to Cuba in the near future? I'm not interested in starting a conversation about politics but I've always wanted to visit Cuba and am excited that is seems like it will be possible soon. If you've been before, please share your experiences!
I've been and am glad I can say I went before it opened up. I am glad about today's announcements and look forward to seeing how it will be different the next time I go.

Tim R

Level 2 Member
I went to Cuba in March 2000.....it was in the middle of all the Elián González madness so we got to see a government-organized rally with lots of Cuban flags being handed out and waved for maximum propaganda effect. Havana was amazing....the people, the food, the mojitos, the architecture, the Malecón. The biggest downside was that I caught the Cuban equivalent of "Montezuma's Revenge" from something I ate and wound up vomiting away some of my sickest hours ever in a small hotel room. I'm really glad I got to experience the frozen-in-time version of Cuba, but I too would love to go back at some point in the next 5 years and see a more open, Westernized, and touristy Cuba.....without having to change airlines in Cancun, ask Cuban customs to NOT stamp my passport, play dumb when coming back through US customs, etc.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
If I can find award seats on an inagural flight, I'll be there. If not I'll be there as soon as the schedule allows! I'm not willing to risk something going wrong with the family in tow until visits are allowed.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I would love to, but the tourism travel ban has to be repealed by Congress, i.e. the institution that can hardly appropriate funds each year to keep the government from closing down.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
It's really not that hard to travel to Cuba legally/legitimately right now. I know a half dozen folks who have done it in the last decade with absolutely no problems. You can't go on your own but you CAN legally go with a licensed and permitted --religious, educational or cultural group. There are also humanitarian groups who travel yearly- one is IFCO/Pastors for Peace:

http://www.ifconews(dot)org/CubaCaravan
http://insightcuba(dot)com/
http://www.centralholidays(dot)com/Destinations/Caribbean/Cuba
http://www.plazacuba(dot)com/travel.html
http://www.baccagroup(dot)org/faq.html
http://cubatravelservices(dot)com/travelers

smittytabb

Staff member
Academics have long been able to get an educational license. When I went I kept copious notes to document my experiences and was expected to keep them for 7 years.

Main thing regarding 7 years I am looking forward to is being able to get Havana Club 7 years in the US. Always order it when I see it abroad.

smittytabb

Staff member
It's really not that hard to travel to Cuba legally/legitimately right now. I know a half dozen folks who have done it in the last decade with absolutely no problems. You can't go on your own but you CAN legally go with a licensed and permitted --religious, educational or cultural group. There are also humanitarian groups who travel yearly- one is IFCO/Pastors for Peace:

http://www.ifconews(dot)org/CubaCaravan
http://insightcuba(dot)com/
http://www.centralholidays(dot)com/Destinations/Caribbean/Cuba
http://www.plazacuba(dot)com/travel.html
http://www.baccagroup(dot)org/faq.html
http://cubatravelservices(dot)com/travelers

There are a lot of travel companies offering people to people trips to Cuba, many more than listed here. I suspect it will be a fairly long time until travel is normalized, and so at this point there will be few changes to the legal ways that one can travel there.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Keep in mind that the rest of the world has been able to travel to Cuba since 1959. So it is not really that frozen in time. I went twice via CUN and never had a problem.
Be prepared to get ripped off, but it is worth a visit in my mind.

You can get real Havana Club in Mexico duty free.
Also, Havana Club is owned by Bermuda based Bacardi. The actual Havana Club has applied for a US trademark "Havanista" and that will be the rum you want to buy in the USA if and when commercial export of liquors becomes legal. So don't buy Havana Club in the USA thinking it is Havana Club. I know its confusing.

The laws and rules have not changed as of today. The treasury department has to rewrite the rules. However, I would go now rather than in 3-4 months if and when the rules are official. Kind of like East Germany. The first few months were very different from the next 6-8 months. I highly doubt that any customs official will hassle you if you now brought in some rum and cigars.

Also, if you are really dying to go soon and want to make it legal, create an association, such as the Saverocity Association and have your first annual meeting in HAV. Problem solved

smittytabb

Staff member
Keep in mind that the rest of the world has been able to travel to Cuba since 1959. So it is not really that frozen in time. I went twice via CUN and never had a problem.
Be prepared to get ripped off, but it is worth a visit in my mind.

You can get real Havana Club in Mexico duty free.
Also, Havana Club is owned by Bermuda based Bacardi. The actual Havana Club has applied for a US trademark "Havanista" and that will be the rum you want to buy in the USA if and when commercial export of liquors becomes legal. So don't buy Havana Club in the USA thinking it is Havana Club. I know its confusing.

The laws and rules have not changed as of today. The treasury department has to rewrite the rules. However, I would go now rather than in 3-4 months if and when the rules are official. Kind of like East Germany. The first few months were very different from the next 6-8 months. I highly doubt that any customs official will hassle you if you now brought in some rum and cigars.

Also, if you are really dying to go soon and want to make it legal, create an association, such as the Saverocity Association and have your first annual meeting in HAV. Problem solved
Despite travel by other nationals than Americans, I would argue that Cuba is indeed frozen in time for the locals at least. The experience tourists have is extraordinarily different from life of the people. Read Yoani Sanchez's Generation Y blog for an idea of how things are inside. It takes some discernment to be a tourist and really understand how life is under a regime like that in Cuba.

Bacardi, founded in Cuba in 1862, was banished from Cuba during the beginning of the revolution. They won a legal battle to use the Havana Club trademark in the U.S. The Havana Club 7 year that I have had outside of Cuba in Europe should be same as the original.

I think the changes could be quite slow for now. The embargo will take a long time to be sorted out. Travel will evolve slowly too is my guess. This will be a very complicated transition. Organizing a meeting in Cuba would be extremely cumbersome. Things move slowly there. The infrastructure is not in place for so many things we take for granted. The bureaucratic layers are not transparent and are hard to negotiate. Not as simple as it sounds.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
We were not talking about conditions for locals but what a first timer from the usa can expect in havana. It is third world, it is backwards but not much more than say bolivia or Burma or certain parts of Detroit.
just trying to manage expectations of people who may expect a 1950s Hemingwayish Havana.

Regarding havana club: what you bought in Europe is the real deal. If and when bacardi sells havana club in the usa it is a replica. If you want to buy havana club in the usa you will need to buy havanista

styxfire

Just curious, what can you see in the Cuba that you can't see in Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Turks & Caicos, etc. All the ingredients of Cuba can easily be found on the other islands. There is nothing new under the sun. Cubans die monthly trying to leave Cuba, and (like others have posted) Cuba is already easily accessible from other countries. So why your renewed interest in travelling to Cuba?

Badassity

Level 2 Member
We've been to Cuba about ten times over the years - Havana, Cienfeugos, Holguin, Guardalavaca, Jibacoa,Varadero, Santiago de Cuba, Santa Lucia. Both with kids and without. As early as 1995 and recently as last year.

In the earlier years Havana was an experience I looked forward to again but that was back when they used old Montreal buses for transportation (with original route names still on the front of the bus) and it was mandatory for vehicular traffic to pick up hitch hikers. Multiple families crammed into assigned housing in beautiful crumbling old mansions in Old Havana. And there was no convertible peso. It was certainly like being stuck in some kind of time. Now lots of Old Havana has been restored and all those families were kicked out. There is a tourist shop at the end of every street and gringo prices for everything.

Now unless you get off the beaten track you can get confused and think you're in Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo.

There are still many things that remind me its a communist country and subject to an embargo... sneaking to a black market dinner with a shower curtain for a table cloth, political slogans on crumbling walls and icy cold Old Milwakwee beer with a South American customs stamp on the bottom of the case at a beach bar... But those moments are watered down now. Or we're not as adventurous anymore.

I think pretty much every time we went there was an American or two at our Canadian departure point positioning for Cuba. The most recent was a man from Washington who came up to Edmonton to go to Havana for his semi annual visit to his wife. She'd just found out that they were being relocated from Havana to a small town inland and he anticipated a bit of a battle and friendly handshake to keep their housing assignment. As I recall she was a government worker.

Interesting place for sure but not much different than many parts of Dominican Republic. You have to go deep into the mountains or away from the main towns to get a different vibe.

All that said, we are planning one last trip to Havana before tourism picks up there.

Oh, and Havana accommodations are a bit worn. Cuban five star is North American three star, IMHO.

MaryE

Level 2 Member
Academics have long been able to get an educational license. When I went I kept copious notes to document my experiences and was expected to keep them for 7 years.

Main thing regarding 7 years I am looking forward to is being able to get Havana Club 7 years in the US. Always order it when I see it abroad.
I still have a bottle of Havana Club 3/4 full. Best rum ever.