Cuba trip 2016-17 advice

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We are heading to Cuba at the end of the month and have a CUC/money question.

I am ordering Euros today from my bank and my bank is asking me to select (a) large bills, (b) small bills, or (c) mixed denominations. Not knowing how Bank of America defines large bills, does anyone know which Cuba prefers?

With the absence of ATMs on the island, I want to make sure I get this right.

mtnAVman

Level 2 Member
It seams to me that smaller is always better. Having to break a lager bill creates issues for the merchant. They're never going to turn down multiple small bills that make a payment, but could turn down a large bill because of not having sufficient cash to change for it. If it were me, I would do mixed. To me it seems the only downside of smaller bills would be having to carry a larger bundle of cash!

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
It seams to me that smaller is always better. Having to break a lager bill creates issues for the merchant. They're never going to turn down multiple small bills that make a payment, but could turn down a large bill because of not having sufficient cash to change for it. If it were me, I would do mixed. To me it seems the only downside of smaller bills would be having to carry a larger bundle of cash!
This wouldn't be merchants, it would be a Cuban bank or at airport. We would need to convert our Euros to Cuban CUCs.

mtnAVman

Level 2 Member
This wouldn't be merchants, it would be a Cuban bank or at airport. We would need to convert our Euros to Cuban CUCs.
Oh, I see. I did not realize that this was what you were asking, and didn't think about this being necessary for a trip to Cuba! I'm curious to know how this works for you. Cuba seems like it would be an interesting place to visit. I live close to Charlotte, and with the deals from there to Cuba it might be an interesting place, and a good time, for a visit to Cuba.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Oh, I see. I did not realize that this was what you were asking, and didn't think about this being necessary for a trip to Cuba! I'm curious to know how this works for you. Cuba seems like it would be an interesting place to visit. I live close to Charlotte, and with the deals from there to Cuba it might be an interesting place, and a good time, for a visit to Cuba.
Yeah, it looks like AA is having a difficult time filling their Charlotte to Cuba flights. There are some great deals, if this is your home airport.

Mars

I'd definitely get mixed denominations.
Not sure about Cuba, but in some countries exchanges will give you lower rate if you try to exchange small denomination (or old, crumbed, outdated) banknotes.
Also, having a bunch of smaller bills (5-100 EUR) will give you flexibility to exchange only as much as you need.

humancar

Level 2 Member
I am heading to Cuba in March and was wondering the same thing. Also does anyone is it possible to open a Canadian or other foreign bank account/credit card without physically being in that country. Was hoping to use a dc/cc in Cuba instead of having to bring a bunch of euros for a three week trip.

smittytabb

Staff member

smittytabb

Staff member
Do you know if there is a way around the $40k annual spend requirement, e.g. can i cancel the card after the trip after only spending approximately $3-5k
I don't know anything more about the terms & conditions than is printed on the website.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Got back from Cuba yesterday. Money situation went fine. We loved the country and learned a lot.

Happy to share lessons learned with anyone.