Cryptocurrency

GRiZ

Level 2 Member
I keep wanting to get in but it feels too dangerous... there was someone on FT who had a whole thing going re: MS but I'm just too risk averse to consider it. I had like $100 of btc back in the day but dropped it before it went anywhere.

Back when it first started I was trying to figure out how to mine with my rinky dinky laptop but eventually gave up because it was too complicated, boy do I feel like an idiot. Still knowing my luck, I'd probably end up like that dude who threw his HDD with his private keys in the trash.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
I think we are all kicking ourselves for not investing in BTC in the early days.
I just started looking at the currency but wanted to get some input from other members here like what platform they use, long term - short term holding, advice, etc..

GRiZ

Level 2 Member
I think we are all kicking ourselves for not investing in BTC in the early days.
I know but I was like so close, most people hadn't even heard of BTC at that point (I think I literally StumbledUpon it), and here I was ahead of the curve and yet ended up holding air because I didn't wanna spend the extra 2-3 hours figuring out how to set up the mining thing.

Mcflyer

Level 2 Member
I feel like these moments will happen regardless. I facepalm when BTC went down to ~$3000 after the whole China ban a couple weeks ago. It's near double now, and surpassed it's highest point ever prior. But coming down from 4.7k to 3k is scary. Happened in days.

JuanG

According to Bitcoin Price Index, the number one cryptocurrency fell below $7,000 at 11:25 UTC this morning and hit an eight-day low of $6,793. A minor bid wave seen during the Asian session today quickly ran out of steam above $7,300.

UNHBuzzard

Level 2 Member
I'm interested in buying the next ether, mining are too cost prohibitive since all GPU graphic cards are sold out unless you get a deal in Asia.

Ttitle

Level 2 Member
I dabble a bit. I finally joined Kucoin, which is an exchange for buying bitcoin and all sorts of other cryptos (since bittrex is still not open to new accounts). The cool thing with this exchange is that if you buy their coin (KCS), you are paid in dividends of all the other transactions that happen on the exchange that day (50% of their fees go to dividends). It is a little bit of each coin (pennies really), but it's cool to have a little piece of a bunch of different crypto.

You have to buy at least six KCS to get dividends and they pay out daily.

MnWolf

Level 2 Member
My feeling is that any big bang for the buck is over, it was a wild ride. Volatility still seems to be with Bitcoin, looks like there are still opportunities ($6200 a month ago, $11,450 right now). But it's mostly gambling, without the M Life. I'm still using Coinbase, which takes 1.5% going in and out. Square claims to be fee-free, but I noticed that I paid about 1% more to buy bitcoin from them than Coinbase was asking. Robinhood is coming with fee-free bitcoin purchases, I'm pretty impressed with them. I'm pretty much just hodling on right now.

Ttitle

Level 2 Member
Coinbase is fee free if you use gdax.com, which is their trading platform. Choose a limit buy and pick your purchase price-- it will be fee free when it hits.

Orin

Robinhood from what I know is a bit fake as you cannot withdraw the crypto you buy there to another wallet. Makes me wonder if you are actually buying crypto or just a concept

StealthyMSer

Level 2 Member
I am, but I have less than $500 in it.

Unfortunently I bought that $500 in crypto when it was at 10K per coin, so now it's down to $150.

Looks like i'm gonna be waiting until the next crypto boom to get my money back.

StealthyMSer

Level 2 Member
Robinhood from what I know is a bit fake as you cannot withdraw the crypto you buy there to another wallet. Makes me wonder if you are actually buying crypto or just a concept
Really, I thought you could? I wonder if it's just some sort of futures contract then, because if you can't withdrawl the bitcoin then it might be just a speculative thing.