Cruise ship cabin Feng Shui

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We've been cruising a lot recently due to their affordable pricing and having a toddler. One thing I've taken notice of for the balcony cabins is that they aren't always organized in the same way, and it makes a huge difference (for me at any rate).

I've not yet figured out how to know which is which, but if you take our cabin from the Escape recently, it was not like this floorplan:

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 4.04.17 PM.png

Instead, our cabin was flipped around so that the order was: Bathroom>Sofabed>Bed>Balcony. I found that this really changed the 'flow' of the room in that it created two living zones, the one near the Sofa, and another on the Balcony, both of which were more cramped. Whereas, if you had what would be in the photo above, you'd get an indoor/outdoor living space that would be a lot more usable.

I poked my head into next door and saw that they had the opposite design to us.. but haven't figured out how one could tell in advance. We have one more cruise booked this year (thus far) and would like to ensure the Feng Shui is on point. As an aside, for those booking cabins and looking at the size of the floorspace, that is a lot of wasted room in the bathroom!

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
When I was trying to figure out cabins for our cruise, I went to cruise critic. People said to be sure and get a room with the bed closer to the balcony door. When I booked, it was through TYP and the CSR was able to see the floor plans.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
When I was trying to figure out cabins for our cruise, I went to cruise critic. People said to be sure and get a room with the bed closer to the balcony door. When I booked, it was through TYP and the CSR was able to see the floor plans.
For me, I really didn't like that - not sure if there was a reason they suggested it (perhaps a bigger overall room?) I much prefer a large living space, since the corridor/bathroom is deadspace already.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
For me, I really didn't like that - not sure if there was a reason they suggested it (perhaps a bigger overall room?) I much prefer a large living space, since the corridor/bathroom is deadspace already.
Sounds like the couch is uncomfortable and essentially nonfunctional, so not sure how much living space there is. I'll probably be out on the balcony a lot. :)

sriki

Level 2 Member
I am not claustrophobic but that floor plan is making me claustrophobic. Other than that, I do not have much to add to this discussion. Carry on.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I am not claustrophobic but that floor plan is making me claustrophobic. Other than that, I do not have much to add to this discussion. Carry on.
Gotta look on the bright side. Figured it would convince my husband the RV life isn't for us. :p

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the couch is uncomfortable and essentially nonfunctional, so not sure how much living space there is. I'll probably be out on the balcony a lot. :)
Absolutely. For me it isn't the use of the couch, but the floor space in front of the couch (where there is a counter space/bar area) if you have that near the door rather than the balcony you just have deadspace (you don't sit on the couch).

It's a little small, but for perspective from that image the bed is a King and the sink in the bathroom is about 5-6ft wide. Our more recent cruise in the same category of room, but an older ship was about 50% bigger.

plane2port

Level 2 Member
We had that exact cabin on the Breakaway. It was my first balcony cabin so to me it was the height of luxury. We had the balcony door open almost the whole time (kept the a/c off too) so it didn't feel cramped.

CruisingFlying4life

Level 2 Member
Functionality is more important to us. When we are out and about, we carry wallets, purses, flyers, cruise activities, snorkel, sunglasses, etc. On our re-entry, we like to drop stuff immediately and having that counter as we enter appears to be highly desirable.

Also, that small walking space between the bed and the wall is a deterrent to go to the other side of the bed - probably the balcony would not get visited often.

bgh10788

Level 2 Member
I would prefer the bed closer to the window as well. Celebrity S class has the same arrangement of every other cabin having a different alignment as well. We were in the one with the bed closer to the bathroom and it really felt like the room was divided in half and thus smaller. Family members had the other arrangement and it felt more open. On the other hand, it made us keep our stuff more cleaned up since we couldn't just throw it on the couch as easily.

Xingu Bob

Matt, I have only cruised Celebrity, but the cabins with the bed closer to the bath are always on the right side when you face the entry. Celebrity's balcony cabins are grouped to have two entry doors from the corridor, the right door is the lucky door. Suites, however, have a single entry door.
After 17 cruises in five years, we have a strong preference for the bed away from the balcony configuration. Easier to reach the ample storage areas and, to us, just feels roomier.
Another favorite of mine are the hump cabins on the Celebrity S class. Some can have balconies that are 2x bigger than a normal balcony and at the same cruise fare.