Credit Monitoring/Reporting Services

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
I'm wondering what services everyone uses to monitor their credit scores and reports. I know you can get each report for free, once per year. I previously had been subscribed to TrueCredit (I think that's what it was called) where I paid $10/month and could access my Transunion score as often as I wanted, and could pull Equifax and Experian once per month for free. I ended up cancelling that a few years ago because I just didn't utilize it much.

I now have CreditKarma which is free. I'm wondering if anyone on here finds enough value, or has found a good enough subscription service that they pay for credit monitoring/reporting features. I'm not sure what it'd be worth to me, maybe $5 per month if I could access each agencies report through that one service, once per month.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
You can get your FICO 08 scores through Credit Check Total. I believe you can still sign up for the $1.00 trial, cancel and resign up later again.

When I'm doing a Mortgage then I will buy a 3B pull from MyFico so I can get all three FICO mortgage scores which are different from FICO 08's.

For just reports CreditKarma is fine for both TU and EQ. Just know the score they use is basically worthless.

Ian

Level 2 Member
CK and experian.com are OK at best. The numbers they give are sometimes off by 50pts compared to paperwork I get with a new credit card (stating the number they pulled)

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
@Ian - So do you use any real-time monitoring services? Or do you just look at the numbers when you request something that results in a new hard inquiry?

HariOm

Transcendent Level
We pay the $14/month for Amex CreditSecure because when my business partner experienced identity theft last year, the police told him that's the best one.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Amex CreditSecure includes 2 reports per month covering all three credit bureaus, plus automated alerts for hard pulls.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
hard pulls from any of the 3 bureaus?
I'm not sure. I don't keep track of which bureau each bank pulls from, but we've received alerts for hard pulls from Chase, Barclay, B of A, Citi, Amex, and City National, if that helps.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
When the alerts come, they're from CreditSecure, not the specific bureau. Then it's necessary to log in to view the alert. I just checked and see that all the alerts we've gotten have been generated by Equifax or Experian, so apparently we haven't applied with any bank that pulls TU, as we seem to get alerts for every app. Anyway this is probably a question that CreditSecure CSR could answer better than me.