Credit AA/Delta paid flights to Alaska

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I'm considering crediting paid flights on AA/Delta (and Alaska) to Alaska to consolidate miles with one carrier rather than having them spread out across all three carriers. And to take advantage of some of Alaska's friendly award redemption policies and partners going forward.

One concern I have is that CC-"earned" benefits like priority boarding and free checked bags on AA/Delta won't convey if I have an Alaska frequent flier number attached to my reservations.

I know from experience that it *was* a nuisance to credit United flights to Aegean. My priority boarding and free checked bag benefits did *not* convey when my Aegean frequent flier number was attached to my reservation.

Does anyone know how it works with AA and Delta?
Any other gotcha to be aware of when employing this strategy?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Yep, the CC benefits only apply if the FF number associated with the credit card is used on the reservation. They are tied to that number, not to the person. After all, the airlines want you crediting flights to their program ;).

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
OTOH, if you make it to AKA elite, your elite benefits do transfer to other airlines. And, upgrade to premium coach, and you get whatever benefits are there, regardless.

jmw

Level 2 Member
I had to bail on crediting to Alaska on my last trip because it meant $100 in bag fees without the CC benefit. Priority boarding doesn't matter to me. Delta won't let you change the frequent flyer number once you have checked in. The number of RDM was very sad since it was a leisure trip (cheap as heck) instead of a business trip, but I wasn't going to hand over another $100.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I would probably recommend going with just carry ons, if at all possible. Of course, a ski trip would, by definition, create a situation where it's not at all possible.

I have managed a 3 week trip to Italy with just a carry on sized bag, a purse and a tote. I checked the bag because I could, sitting up front. But, if I'd needed to, I could put the purse in the tote and still meet carry one restrictions. The size of the bags were more about traveling on trains with my luggage than about checked baggage issues, but the more I travel, the less I bring.