Costco Travel - A hidden gem

LoriB

Level 2 Member
I just signed up for the Amex coverage. The only downfall is there is zero liability coverage. After doing some reading online it seems that no credit card company offers liability coverage so that is where having to pay for Supplemental Liability Coverage or SLI, comes into play. It seems there is no way around extra charges.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I just signed up for the Amex coverage. The only downfall is there is zero liability coverage. After doing some reading online it seems that no credit card company offers liability coverage so that is where having to pay for Supplemental Liability Coverage or SLI, comes into play. It seems there is no way around extra charges.
Also check with your US insurance carrier. There may be liability coverage built in there. Worth a call, and I would take detailed notes.

mateo9999

Level 2 Member
I too have gotten great rental rates at both Costco travel and through Chase UR portal. Just to clarify though, the UR car rentals are non-refundable.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I too have gotten great rental rates at both Costco travel and through Chase UR portal. Just to clarify though, the UR car rentals are non-refundable.
I think it may depend upon which rental car company you book thru UR. I know I booked thru UR and was able to cancel prior to the date after I found a better rate. I believe they could have charged a fee, but I was not.

hsinaz

Level 2 Member
True.. AX primary does not cover liability. Good idea to check if your own insurance will cover. Visiting Cabo next year and Mexico forces you to have/buy minimum liability for car rentals. I am going to rent with AX and buy liability coverage at the rental place. Pay it off finally with ** cough ** Arrival ** cough **

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Anyone interested in some Club Carlson (CC) points if you have been using Costco Travel (CT) to book at Budget specifically? On a generic note, give lower priority for booking at Avis or National through CC website link. In case of Avis, the code for CC points almost always returns high prices compared to CT (YMMV - so give it a try as you will still get 9k CC points for booking at Avis though CC link). In case of National, the number of CC points are not that attractive compared to Avis or Budget (only 1500 CC points per day). However, things change with Budget for weekend rental. For a recent booking, I was just playing around with the CC link. I used both the CC link (after logging to my CC account) and CT for a weekend travel need for comparison sake. Note that you can earn 9,000 Gold Points on rentals for 3+ days when you use BCD# U106508. Use that link from CC website and also try for any budget coupons through retailmenot.com. Currently if you use coupon code "TUGZ022", you get one free weekend day when you rent a minimum of 3 days. Cool. I used the CC link to Budget, entered BCD U106508 and coupon code TUGZ022 and voila - the price was just a few dollars different from the CT pricing. In my case it was $6 for a weekend rental. I will gladly pay $6 for 9000 CC points. There are coupons for weekly rentals as well. So please try out all those options and then take a call if this is in your favour. Also note that there was no way i could enter my CC number at the time of booking. So, i will ensure that at the time of pickup the Front office staff at Budget enters my CC code to my reservation so that my points are credited properly. I am anyway willing to take this risk. Sigh - my only regret is i didnt know about this last year itself when i was booking so many weekends with Budget. I could have made 1-2 hundred thousand CC points easily. Anyway, better late than never. I will update this post if the points post or Budget gives me any headache (my booking is for this weekend - friday evening to monday morning).

Any one has any data points to share?

LoriB

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the information! I have not tried this yet but definitely will in the future.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Anyone interested in some Club Carlson (CC) points if you have been using Costco Travel (CT) to book at Budget specifically? On a generic note, give lower priority for booking at Avis or National through CC website link. In case of Avis, the code for CC points almost always returns high prices compared to CT (YMMV - so give it a try as you will still get 9k CC points for booking at Avis though CC link). In case of National, the number of CC points are not that attractive compared to Avis or Budget (only 1500 CC points per day). However, things change with Budget for weekend rental. For a recent booking, I was just playing around with the CC link. I used both the CC link (after logging to my CC account) and CT for a weekend travel need for comparison sake. Note that you can earn 9,000 Gold Points on rentals for 3+ days when you use BCD# U106508. Use that link from CC website and also try for any budget coupons through retailmenot.com. Currently if you use coupon code "TUGZ022", you get one free weekend day when you rent a minimum of 3 days. Cool. I used the CC link to Budget, entered BCD U106508 and coupon code TUGZ022 and voila - the price was just a few dollars different from the CT pricing. In my case it was $6 for a weekend rental. I will gladly pay $6 for 9000 CC points. There are coupons for weekly rentals as well. So please try out all those options and then take a call if this is in your favour. Also note that there was no way i could enter my CC number at the time of booking. So, i will ensure that at the time of pickup the Front office staff at Budget enters my CC code to my reservation so that my points are credited properly. I am anyway willing to take this risk. Sigh - my only regret is i didnt know about this last year itself when i was booking so many weekends with Budget. I could have made 1-2 hundred thousand CC points easily. Anyway, better late than never. I will update this post if the points post or Budget gives me any headache (my booking is for this weekend - friday evening to monday morning).

Any one has any data points to share?
Quick update here. Good prices are available for Avis too. Only trick is dont go through the link from CC website. Go directly to avis.com and enter AWD G639300 along with any coupon code from retailmenot.com and you will get a good price. If you click directly from CC site, they have hard coded with another coupon code which does not reduce the price.

5280miles

Level 2 Member
I have found that if you get a price from Costco entering in your reservation into Autoslash has saved me lots of money in Hawaii. Good luck.