Convert Ink Bold from Mastercard to Visa

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
I have an existing Chase Ink Bold Mastercard that I got back in 2013. I'd like to convert it to a Visa so that I can use VSE. I tried calling the normal CS number, and they said I would have to apply as a new applicant. I'd rather not have another hard pull on my credit since I've had like 5 in the past year and don't want the negative affects on my credit score. Is it possible to do a change to Visa without a new application / credit pull?

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I have an existing Chase Ink Bold Mastercard that I got back in 2013. I'd like to convert it to a Visa so that I can use VSE. I tried calling the normal CS number, and they said I would have to apply as a new applicant. I'd rather not have another hard pull on my credit since I've had like 5 in the past year and don't want the negative affects on my credit score. Is it possible to do a change to Visa without a new application / credit pull?
I don't believe so, but at least you'd get the bonus on the new card!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Aren't they converting all cards automatically? That's what happened to me back in May/June.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Aren't they converting all cards automatically? That's what happened to me back in May/June.
Not yet.

Ironically, all three of my Chase CCs at this point (Freedom, IHG, Ink) are MCs. I'd gladly have them change my Ink MC to a Visa.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Not yet. Ironically, all three of my Chase CCs at this point (Freedom, IHG, Ink) are MCs. I'd gladly have them change my Ink MC to a Visa.
Strange. My card doesn't renew until November so I just thought that they were in the process of converting everyone. I'd love to have an MC still. I've got all Visas. The Ink was my last open MC.

I think this represents a great opportunity for some as you can still apply for an Ink Visa and get the bonus since the Ink MC is a different product.

http://romsdeals.com/2013/10/25/confirmed-getting-50k-bonus-chase-ink-visa-chase-ink-mastercard/

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
Thanks, I know it is tempting for 70 K points, but I have to keep my score high for mortgage refinances and such. I guess it's the classic question of how much are points worth. I value URs at 1.5 cpm (a bit more than the WN credit value), so we're talking about $1,000 in value. Certainly that's a lot, but if I ding my credit score too much I could be paying much more than that in interest on mortgages...

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
I asked when my card renewed last time and they wouldn't send a VISA.
I'm tempted to just do the re-app for 70k -- I mean ... if they're going to MAKE me.

penncomm

Level 2 Member
So, stupid question....I've had the MC version of Ink Bold and have canceled it about a year ago. What I am hearing is that I can re-apply and receive the Visa version of the card, earning a fresh 50K signup bonus. Is that correct?

TheBOSman

Staff member
So, stupid question....I've had the MC version of Ink Bold and have canceled it about a year ago. What I am hearing is that I can re-apply and receive the Visa version of the card, earning a fresh 50K signup bonus. Is that correct?
That is nearly certainly correct.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Is there a recommended waiting period between cancellation of Ink MC and subsequent re-application for Ink Visa?

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Depends. If your MC is a Bold you should be able to do it right away since the Bold is discontinued and the Plus Visa is a different product.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
If your MC is a Bold you should be able to do it right away since the Bold is discontinued and the Plus Visa is a different product.
Thanks Ed. Ink Plus MC and Ink Plus Visa are also considered different products, hence the ability to get the signup bonus again on the Visa version. My wife's MC was Plus and just wondering what would be a prudent waiting period before applying for Visa version.