Club Carlson Free Nights

bayguy

Level 2 Member
I didn't call and secure messaged US Bank after hearing about free night. Did not get any phone calls but got a letter in snail mail that I am eligible and will get a free night cert in 6-8 weeks.

It finally came through today: Club Carlson Visa Global Free Night with 31 October 2016 expiration.

I have a trip planned for Chicago in December 15(I know its a bad time but wanted to travel Amtrak in a family bedroom before devaluation). Is it a good idea to use for one night in Chicago as I don't travel much and next summer vacation to Peru(Lima) is already booked on Hilton points(I am diamond with Hilton). I might get one more free night as my anniversary is in November(spent 10K on the card).

Any advice for me?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Ok, my wife and I both got our global certs today, too. Perfecto!

As apparently is the norm, ours both expire 10/31/2016. Anyone have experience with these? I've got no real room for additional trips before then, we've got a busy schedule. Does "expire" mean we have to BOOK with them before then, or do we have to stay and use them by then?

smittytabb

Staff member
I didn't call and secure messaged US Bank after hearing about free night. Did not get any phone calls but got a letter in snail mail that I am eligible and will get a free night cert in 6-8 weeks.

It finally came through today: Club Carlson Visa Global Free Night with 31 October 2016 expiration.

I have a trip planned for Chicago in December 15(I know its a bad time but wanted to travel Amtrak in a family bedroom before devaluation). Is it a good idea to use for one night in Chicago as I don't travel much and next summer vacation to Peru(Lima) is already booked on Hilton points(I am diamond with Hilton). I might get one more free night as my anniversary is in November(spent 10K on the card).

Any advice for me?
I really enjoyed the Rad Blu in Chicago. Go for it! It's a cool building and a very nice property in a good location. If you can wait to use it as domestic that would be a great use, but if it is your one chance to use the global, why not?

bayguy

Level 2 Member
Thanks smittytabb. I am staying 4 nights in Chicago and if i get my free cert on time, will stay for 2 days at Rad Blu Aqua.

wasser

Level 2 Member
I tried to use my "Club Carlson Visa Global Free Night" and every circumstance it showed no availability anywhere - even in cheap, remote locations in middle America. Apparently some people on FT have posted about having the same problem.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I tried to use my "Club Carlson Visa Global Free Night" and every circumstance it showed no availability anywhere - even in cheap, remote locations in middle America. Apparently some people on FT have posted about having the same problem.
I just tried it at the Radisson Blu, Lucerne & it worked.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Make sure you know the expiration date of your certs. I don't believe they are good if you try to book anything beyond the expiration date (I remember trying and it didn't work, but dates before expiration did)

smittytabb

Staff member
Did you try to call Club Carlson? I recall having some issues at first and they were able to book it for me. I used mine at the Radisson Blu Waterfront Cape Town, SA. along with some rooms on points I had them book me at the same time.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I booked mine and hubs on Sunday in Split for next Aug. I wasn't using the promo code WITH the Ecert # and couldn't find availability in Split or Dublin. Once I added in the promo code I was able to book the room no problem.
Meanwhile I called CC twice to help me and neither CSR could figure out why it wasn't booking. The corporate CSR got frustrated, called Croatia and then gave me a 50k to book a room without canceling the cert. Yay me for being a ditz! I'll take a free 50k pts for nothing!

Last edited:

bayguy

Level 2 Member
I got my renewal free night today which I couldn't use for Chicago Blu stay. Hotel was good, weather bad but we enjoyed the snow.

singerbabe

Level 2 Member
We enjoyed using our Global Free Night cert at the Radisson Blu Alcron in Prague. Very nice property with a great restaurant. With the dollar so strong right now Prague is a wonderful destination.