Club Carlson 6/1/15 Devaluation - Is this the end?

lpaca

Level 2 Member
After the Carlson took away the last night free benefit from the credit card, many people (myself included) were leaning toward or cancelling the card. With today's devaluation, where every decent Carlson (Rad Blu) in the US is raised to Category 7 (70k points per night) and most of the nice European properties went up a category or two - is anybody going to bother with Club Carlson program and/or credit card going forward?

I got some nice value redeeming in Philly, NYC, Aruba, and Rome (coming up). Can't see myself using the card or the program going forward. It almost feels like Carlson decided loyal customers aren't really worth it to them... or they're trying to get rid of the MS crowd. Either way, I think the annual fees on the cards just became a lot harder to justify.

pillow25

Level 2 Member
I'm done with this program. Largely crappy hotels (especially in US). Going to burn them all before the end of the month in Northern Europe. Going to cancel all the cards too.

In other words, if anyone needs some CC points to finish a trip (free transfers between accounts!), PM me. I'm sitting on ~175k of them and looking to dump them all.

Dr Moose

Level 2 Member
It wasn't that great to begin with, only because of the second night free did I have their cards. I'm now finishing up my stash and closing the cards.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
I put this in the other thread too, but going to change it some now. I initially planned on keeping my CC biz card open. I probably still will.

$60 annual fee = 40k points
cost of $10k spend (purely MS at $5 per $500) $100 = 50k points
cost of $2k spend to get to 100k points $20 = 10k points
free night cert for $10k spend and 100k points for $180 (or less depending on your method of course)

50k points used to be able to get off peak award at Rad Blu Chicago. For me, I would probably spend a net $100 (annual fee plus some MS) for a free night and 100k points a year. Not as good of a value as it used to be, but still good to me.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I've got 106K points left and I'm trying to figure out the best option for 3 night in Paris (9/16-9/18). It's the final 3 nights of a 17 day trip through Europe, so I'm debating booking somewhere super nice (non-CC) 9/18 as a last hurrah so to speak, which would leave my points available for the BOGO 9/16-9/17. Any recommendations?

My flight leaves CDG at 1:05PM.

Joseph

Level 2 Member
I need 1,500 points for a booking. Does anyone have a extra points laying around that can be transferred to me? Maybe trade or cash? Thanks!

Last edited:

Joseph

Level 2 Member
Thanks everyone for PMing me regarding Club Carlson points. I have enough points to book my hotel stays before the devaluation. Thank you!

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
If anyone is having trouble with award availability, just call in to club carlson support to have them contact the hotel to open up and book reward space for you. I have successfully booked three two night stays at the Radisson Martinique on Broadway this way for later this year (some week nights, some weekends). Their calendar shows no availability until 2016, ha. I assume that this would work with many other properties. The phone agents that I've talked were more than willing to help with this.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
Hope everyone is remembering to get your bookings done. Just did a speculative booking in Reykjavik for next summer for 2+2+2. Last time I was there I stayed at the Hilton and loved it. Prices at the Radisson Blu 1919 seem inflated compared to the Hilton right now. Seems improbable that they could charge over 500 Euros a night for the Rad Blu property, but that is why these points were so great for these inflated room costs. RIP

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I booked mine last night, but different tactic than most it seems. I looked at the travel is free map for Club Carlson, and found Cat 1 hotels on the Red Sea and booked 6 nights for 3 at a Radisson Blu Resort El Quseir in fall 2016. Will book Hilton low category hotels in Sharm also probably. Also booked 4 for 2 in Nepal at Cat 3 levels for Dec 2016. I'll hang on to my other 100k for now. I'll product change personal card to no fee version, and biz card isn't due til Nov so I'll think that one over if I want another 40k or not.

I was able to talk to someone on the phone just now who helped me shift some points. The CLub Carlson office isn't open til tomorrow, but there is someone there now who can do it if needed.

Booked London, Minneapolis and Mall of America (at the request of the kids:)).

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Yup, that's the second report I've heard of folks moving points today. At least they were smart enough to make sure people could do it even if the office is closed. We're all annoyed enough at Carlson already - imagine the annoyance if people couldn't do the bookings they left for the final minute. Me, I'm still wondering what to do with 20K orphan points. but I did manage to book 22 nights so I don't feel too bad!

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Yup, that's the second report I've heard of folks moving points today. At least they were smart enough to make sure people could do it even if the office is closed. We're all annoyed enough at Carlson already - imagine the annoyance if people couldn't do the bookings they left for the final minute. Me, I'm still wondering what to do with 20K orphan points. but I did manage to book 22 nights so I don't feel too bad!
Same here. I've got about 13K left over.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have 15K and my husband has 3K. Was hoping the 30K bonus for the recent stay would hit his account in time to change a standard award to a business award, but alas no. I will get my 30K later in the summer and 40K to keep the card and that gets me a room at the May fair in London. Could be worse things. Never mind that the last time I stayed there, it was 50K for two nights. Frankly I had some terrific stays with their points. Glad I took advantage. All the outsize benefits always end.

smittytabb

Staff member
22 nights is a lot! Enjoy!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Like @smittytabb I think I will just keep the 20K towards to next stay. I will miss the 2 for 1 but so it goes. Will probably close 2 of the 3 accounts we have in our household. Hoping that paying for parking in Vancouver in mid-June might kick in the 30K bonus, as was reported, I think, by FM. That is, that charging something to the room resulted in getting the 30K on award stays. I need to go back and read his posts on that promo as well as his advice on cancelling cards after making reservations.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I tried moving points at 4 pm EST and no one could do it. Also couldn't gets hubs the 7500 pts. They stopped giving them out apparently. Was 6k short to book a 2:1. Was bummed.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I tried moving points at 4 pm EST and no one could do it. Also couldn't gets hubs the 7500 pts. They stopped giving them out apparently. Was 6k short to book a 2:1. Was bummed.
Bummed for sure. Sorry that happened. I'd heard that we had to move points by Friday at 4PM so did my scrambling then. I guess my daughter missed out on the 7500 points too. I'm assuming you did escalate to a supervisor....

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I did, twice. Second time held for nearly 22 mints. That one said they "were giving out 7500 pts until their legal team heard about it and stopped it." I doubt legal would squash giving out points, but what do I know. Anyway. I have rooms booked in Iceland in Sept and in Grenada in March. I was trying to swap out GND for Aruba...But, only because I thought airfare might be cheaper to Aruba. If we get to GND it'll be awesome....Its been on my list for a long time. If not, I hope to rebook CUR since we had to cancel the night before our trip this past March due to my daughter's ungodly illness....that still hasn't been figured out after coming back with a vengeance this month. Let's just hope its finally run its course because prom is in three wks and I'm heavily invested in a dress!

Maria Sangria

Level 51
Bummed for sure. Sorry that happened. I'd heard that we had to move points by Friday at 4PM so did my scrambling then. I guess my daughter missed out on the 7500 points too. I'm assuming you did escalate to a supervisor....
What's the 7500 points about? Missed that one.

smittytabb

Staff member
What's the 7500 points about? Missed that one.
People were calling in right after the devaluation to get points to compensate for the deval. Some were getting 7500 if they escalated to a supervisor. Like most things of this kind, it got harder to get the same result.

Maria Sangria

Level 51
Good question. I suspect it was US Bank. Haven't done this yet myself. Probably should have. Got past me.
It is with US Bank (800-236-4012). Just got off the phone with them. First line rep had no idea what to say in response to "dissatisfied that the bonus night award benefit" is gone after today. After she tried to sell me on other US Bank cards, she put me on hold and then transferred me to a supervisor. The ssupervisor did offer me the 7500 max credit that they can do. It takes 6-8 weeks to credit.

The glimmer of hope here with CC after speaking with CC and USB, is that they both are telling me that CC is restructuring the program and the way, or rate, you will earn points. They realize taking away the bonus night is unpopular and they are redoing the program. You would think they would announce both things at the same time to avoid the backlash.

ETA: And she did say that there would be more promotions.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I did, twice. Second time held for nearly 22 mints. That one said they "were giving out 7500 pts until their legal team heard about it and stopped it." I doubt legal would squash giving out points, but what do I know. Anyway. I have rooms booked in Iceland in Sept and in Grenada in March. I was trying to swap out GND for Aruba...But, only because I thought airfare might be cheaper to Aruba. If we get to GND it'll be awesome....Its been on my list for a long time. If not, I hope to rebook CUR since we had to cancel the night before our trip this past March due to my daughter's ungodly illness....that still hasn't been figured out after coming back with a vengeance this month. Let's just hope its finally run its course because prom is in three wks and I'm heavily invested in a dress!
@nickelfish1 - FM is reporting that it will be live until 11PM tonight (Mon)! Maybe you can still get the transfer done!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
And... Drew of TIF just reported that one of my hotels went down from 44K to 38K. I just called 1 800 613 3333 and pressed 5 for an agent to help with elite benefits. He added 12K to my account, easy peasy! No need to cancel and rebook. Just call in.

I mentioned to the CSR that I’d heard rumors that they are revamping the program to make us happier and he said two things: “I don’t know much about it” and “We hope they will bring the extra award night benefit back.” Now this could just be a wishful CSR tired of hearing our complaining but wouldn’t that be nice!

Check the latest TIF post to see if any of the hotels you booked went down, and if so call in. Easiest 12K I've earned in a while.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
@ElainePDX
Ok. The properties I booked all went up.
Aruba went from 50k to 70k a night. Grenada from 44k to 50k and Reykjavik from 44k to 66k. I'm gonna leave Grenada and hope for cheap flights!
I'm guessing they extended a day because they were closed yesterday and people complained like crazy.
Thank you for letting me know!!

PS...we'll be in Iceland while my entire family is at my nephew's wedding in Portland. Figures, right? Woulda met you for drinks!

G1ant

Level 2 Member
As long as the Blu in Prague stays at 44/66 I'll keep the card. A Club room for $125 in MS costs is a total steal. It was much better with the last night free, but I'll still take that over paying $300+ cash for the same room.

mbo_nc

Level 2 Member
I'm still getting some decent value out of Club Carlson points. I've been able to find some hotels in Europe that go for only 15k/night - the Park Plaza Berlin Kudamm and Radisson Blu Budapest are two that I have recently booked. They might not be luxury 5-star hotels, but you get 5x on normal spend with the credit card, and in my view, getting a free night at a decent hotel for only $3k in spend isn't bad at all.