CLT To Tokyo on 7/1

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
Hey there, I'm looking for some help on a near last minute trip to Tokyo for a trip in July to meet up with a friend...
I've looked around for availability and finally want to use some miles but want to do it the best way possible and hoped that I could get some guidance here...
I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

1. What route are you looking for?
CLT to Tokyo

2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)?
Depart Wed 7/1
Return Sat 7/11
Would like to stay with these dates if at all possible as I'm meeting up with someone who will already be there.

3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight")
Was thinking to use the United miles to go Business to get to Tokyo and then return with AA miles in Business, but am very open to suggestions and better options.
No problem for coach on positioning flights.
Goal is have shortest travel time and longest flight in greatest comfort (I'm 6'-3").
Looked at United Business Saver and AA Business return, but very limited availability and Seat Guru did not like what was available on these flights.
Are there other/better airline options to use these points?

4. How many passengers?
Only one passenger

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?
83K on United (no status)
359K on AA (Gold/Ruby)
Also have these relevant cards:
United Explorer
Barclay AA Aviator Red
Citi AA Executive

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If I were you, I would book the closest thing I find on AA now, then switch to a better option close to departure. Last minute JAL availability is usually very good and I would be shocked if you don't find fully flat J or F for one pax. The best part is no change fee if you do it right.

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
If I were you, I would book the closest thing I find on AA now, then switch to a better option close to departure. Last minute JAL availability is usually very good and I would be shocked if you don't find fully flat J or F for one pax. The best part is no change fee if you do it right.
Thanks, any comments on using United miles for one-way and AA for the other?
And how do I avoid the change fee for AA?
I'm familiar with the way to avoid the United close-in fee, but not AA.
Thanks again for the advice!

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Thanks, any comments on using United miles for one-way and AA for the other?
With UA there is no way (that I know of) to avoid change fee if you lack status and find a better flight later on. I would say if you find something good on Star Alliance now, go ahead and book it.

And how do I avoid the change fee for AA?
There is no change fee is you keep the same origin and destination (co-terminals are OK too), and you don't change the award type. The latter is a little complicated; for the most part you can freely change operating carriers, but supposedly there are some corner cases such as if you change from a non-oneworld partner ticket to all-AA, that changes the award type and you have to pay. I've never run into this case. If you stick to oneworld partners and AA, and not one of their non-alliance partners (like HA, which you want to avoid anyway on a transpacific route due to their underwhelming hard product), you should be fine.

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
With UA there is no way (that I know of) to avoid change fee if you lack status and find a better flight later on. I would say if you find something good on Star Alliance now, go ahead and book it.

There is no change fee is you keep the same origin and destination (co-terminals are OK too), and you don't change the award type. The latter is a little complicated; for the most part you can freely change operating carriers, but supposedly there are some corner cases such as if you change from a non-oneworld partner ticket to all-AA, that changes the award type and you have to pay. I've never run into this case. If you stick to oneworld partners and AA, and not one of their non-alliance partners (like HA, which you want to avoid anyway on a transpacific route due to their underwhelming hard product), you should be fine.
Thanks, your help is really appreciated!