Citibank AT&T Access More Card - $650 Smartphone Rebate

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Help me out folks. I'm currently a post paid ATT customer. So not a new customer or adding a line. Just want to keep my existing post-paid plan with new phone. I think that makes me eligible for the rebate. Anyone believes contrary?
Yes, you're eligible. However, see post #27 in this thread for tips on process to take for transfering your existing phone number.

mmax1

Level 2 Member
iPhone 6s preorder seemed to go without a hitch. I was about two hours past midnight and stock was still available for the one I wanted. The link from the citi website took me straight there and the ordering was simple. The confirmation email even mentioned the Citi Access rebate.
I initially ordered via Safari on iphone, and didn't get the confirmation email mentioning the rebate. Cancelled the order and redid in Firefox and got it. Make sure you get the pop-up message where you confirm you want to use the $650 credit or it won't work. I never saw this pop-up in Safari.

sriki

Level 2 Member
This is a question for people who are trying to resell the phone. The T&Cs say that the phone needs to be activated and have service for atleast 15 days. So, we cannot sell it as unopened item. What's the best way to maximize reselling this?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
how long is it taking everyone to get the $650 credit? Applied in July, got phone in Aug, met $2k by Sep 6. Still no reimb.

sriki

Level 2 Member
how long is it taking everyone to get the $650 credit? Applied in July, got phone in Aug, met $2k by Sep 6. Still no reimb.
I chatted with a Citi rep last week which is when I completed the 15 day service requirement and he said it could take upto 2 months for the credit to show up and there is no way to expedite it.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
@sriki: what did you end up doing with your phone? The 6s+ silver/grey 64GB and 128GB are the white whales and hardest for stores to keep in stock (ATT unlocked and SIM-free versions)

sriki

Level 2 Member
@sriki: what did you end up doing with your phone? The 6s+ silver/grey 64GB and 128GB are the white whales and hardest for stores to keep in stock (ATT unlocked and SIM-free versions)
I got lucky. A family member wanted to gift another member with an iphone. So, I "sold" my phone to her for a little discount.

I do not know how anyone could have made much profit if they had to unbox it to activate the service. On the other hand, now that I opened the box to activate the phone, it actually did not need to be activated as it was already activated when I turned on the phone. Does that make sense?

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I haven't yet activated mine because I'm really not going to use it at all. Can I just take the sim back out and start using my other phone or will ATT/Citi have to see that it's been active? I don't see how or why that matters...

sriki

Level 2 Member
I haven't yet activated mine because I'm really not going to use it at all. Can I just take the sim back out and start using my other phone or will ATT/Citi have to see that it's been active? I don't see how or why that matters...
My interpretation of T&Cs is that you need to maintain 15 days on service. Service is not necessarily tied to the phone in general. So, you could be ok

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
My interpretation of T&Cs is that you need to maintain 15 days on service. Service is not necessarily tied to the phone in general. So, you could be ok
I had the same interpretation. I've had ATT anyway, and still maintain the service, so I figured I'd be fine. Your post about activate and maintain service had me confused.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
@sriki

I called Citi, and they say the new phone must be activated and maintained. I don't know how they'd know that it's being 'maintained' if I pop the sim out and put it in my regular phone. Unless they're scraping that info from ATT.

sriki

Level 2 Member
@sriki

I called Citi, and they say the new phone must be activated and maintained. I don't know how they'd know that it's being 'maintained' if I pop the sim out and put it in my regular phone. Unless they're scraping that info from ATT.
For me maintained implies continuation of service for the required term (15 days). Other than that, there is no metric dictating a certain amount of usage on that phone/service. I got the cheapest plan and opened up the box to turn on the phone, made one call and switched the phone off to never turn it back on until I cancelled the service. But, before I cancelled the service, I chatted with a Citi rep and he said I completed the requirements for the credit and should get it in 2-3 statement cycles. Though their assurances are not 100%, I believe buying the phone and having the service for 15 days is good enough for the credit.

lochquel

Level 2 Member
For me maintained implies continuation of service for the required term (15 days). Other than that, there is no metric dictating a certain amount of usage on that phone/service. I got the cheapest plan and opened up the box to turn on the phone, made one call and switched the phone off to never turn it back on until I cancelled the service. But, before I cancelled the service, I chatted with a Citi rep and he said I completed the requirements for the credit and should get it in 2-3 statement cycles. Though their assurances are not 100%, I believe buying the phone and having the service for 15 days is good enough for the credit.
Got this card in May and went through with 1 month of paid service to get the 15 day service completed. After meeting initial spend in first full month, I got phone credit the next full month statement.

lochquel

Level 2 Member
For reference on online retail purchases:

3% -Working list:
GCM.com (old-wl)
Target.com
Amazon.com
Staples.com
BestBuy.com

1% -Not working list:
Raise.com (not working as of 2/1/2016)?
NW Buxx
Plastiq
Giftcards.com
AGC

Last edited:

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Received my $650. It hit with the statement cut date in the month I met the requirements. In other words, I met the requirements at the end of Nov., statement cut 12/11 and credit appeared on my account the next day. Very quick, I'd say.

Someone

Level 2 Member
Anybody tried to see if Costco gets 3x online? I'm guessing it codes as discount or warehouse but I've never used anything beside amex there so I dunno.

duffman

Level 2 Member
I don't have ATT. I ordered the phone on my friends ATT account and was able to get it unlocked using the instructions on the FT wiki. Do I need it activate it with an ATT sim and let my friend use my new phone for the next 15 days? Or can I start using it with T-Mobile?

Thank you