Citi ThankYou "Go-to" Transfer Partner

mbo_nc

Level 2 Member
Hello, everyone! This is my first post - excited to be here! :) I have been involved with this hobby for about a year and a half now but am just discovering this forum.

Over the past year, I have built up a decent stash of TY points. I have researched all of the various transfer partners at a basic level (award chart, partners, surcharges, etc.), and for my purposes, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic, and Flying Blue (although I am a little nervous about them given some of the issues that folks have had) seem like pretty good options. I was wondering, though, if anyone on here had a "go-to" TY transfer partner/redemption (location-independent)? Just curious as to how others are using their TY points aside from 1.6 cents per point AA redemptions.

kodiak jack

Level 2 Member
I've got a good bunch of TYP too, and haven't used a single one yet. My plan is to primarily do AA at 1.6c as you suggest, b/c i think that's a very nice value when for an actual revenue ticket. Yes, yes, some people will crow how they got 2.4c or some big fat number b/c they redeemed for intl first class that retails for $8k. I don't buy into that though.

As far as "go-to" partners, I think you'll get a ton of value out of transfers to Flying Blue, especially if you can redeem them to a 25% or 50% off destination. Singapore will of course get many votes as well. Beyond that i think it all depends on where you're going, but those too strike me as the best values and most flexible.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Not necessarily the best use, but we're using TYP to pay for a Western Mediterranean cruise by going through their portal. Portal prices compared to cruise compete. Will book when another 2k points post. :)

jlang

Level 2 Member
I transferred points to EVA - I am flying TPE to SIN, and it was only 25k for business class. opening a new EVA account gets you 1k miles, so I only had to transfer 24k TY points. Plus its on EVA's 777 business product.

My advice is when you decide where to go, explore some of the programs that are based in that area that you can transfer to. you may find outsized value there

chacohen

Singapore, or redeem for hotels or AA flights through the travel center (their hotel discounts can be pretty competitive). If you need to fly Delta, Virgin Atlantic basically functions as a SkyPesos redemption partner. TYP is a good program, but doesn't have anywhere near the flexibility of Amex MR, Chase UR, or the holy grail - SPG.

Benqzh

Level 2 Member
Even AA becomes another Transfer Partner, I will still keep using TYP to book flights (as 1.6c for AA) directly.
Reason 1. I can enjoy all the trip protections from prestige.
Reason 2. GWU can be used for the cheapest AA ticket.

mbo_nc

Level 2 Member
Even AA becomes another Transfer Partner, I will still keep using TYP to book flights (as 1.6c for AA) directly.
Reason 1. I can enjoy all the trip protections from prestige.
Reason 2. GWU can be used for the cheapest AA ticket.
Yeah, those 1.6cpp redemptions are pretty hard to beat for cheaper domestic flights.

Bury

Level 2 Member
Yup. Other than on AA flights, the only other redemption I've used them for is a transatlantic business class flight through Flying Blue.

It's a little outdated, but TIF has a good analysis of the best TYP redemption partners and their respective award charts: http://travelisfree.com/2014/09/08/best-use-of-citi-thankyou-points-airline-transfers/
Thanks for linking this. I'm liking the transfer to AsiaMiles for CX Premium Economy LAX-HKG-NRT-LAX: 72k miles roundtrip. Personally I enjoy CX's soft product, and the hard product is nicer than anything I've experienced! (disclaimer: never flown J/F)

paulros624

PaulRos624
Just love the ability to get free flights woth cheaper fares and not waste AA miles. Recently found a 181.00 fare on AA from Ord-LGA had no problem parting with TYP to pay at 1.6