Citi Diamond to Citi TU Preferred?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Spouse received snail mail offer to convert Citi Diamond (an old card that I'm AU, no AF, just keeping for length - use once a year to keep active) to Citi Thank You Preferred. No HP - if they don't change the length of card when converting, any reasons to or not to? (Want to make sure there's no "gotcha" if he converts.

He has Prestige and Premier.

Thanks!

Someone

Level 2 Member
I had another citi card that was automatically converted to the diamond card when it came out, and my diamond was automatically converted to a thank you preferred several years ago. I didn't see any downside or gotchas. Way back, the diamond earned thank you points at a rate of 1pt/$. I think that went away and existing cardholders were converted to ty preferred.

If his current diamond doesn't earn points then the preferred is possibly an improvement. I don't know if you'd be foregoing a signup bonus on the preferred, but I don't imagine it's very high anyway.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I had another citi card that was automatically converted to the diamond card when it came out, and my diamond was automatically converted to a thank you preferred several years ago. I didn't see any downside or gotchas. Way back, the diamond earned thank you points at a rate of 1pt/$. I think that went away and existing cardholders were converted to ty preferred.

If his current diamond doesn't earn points then the preferred is possibly an improvement. I don't know if you'd be foregoing a signup bonus on the preferred, but I don't imagine it's very high anyway.

Thank you!