Citi AA Executive Card Annual Fee Error

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
This is sort of a 2 part post regarding Citi AAdvantage cards. First of all it looks like the annual fee pricing per the new Citi AAdvantage cards on the main landing page is showing up as $95 (link below). Upon reading the T&C it states a $450 annual fee, however I think with a simple screenshot you may have a great case to get the other $350 waived when the full $450 hits. I'm sure there will be pushback (because you agreed to the $450 in the fine print but it is obviously misleading to list $95 on the main screen) I have no doubt with some verbal maneuvering I will be able to avoid.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-aadvantage-executive-credit-card&category=travel-reward-credit-cards&afc=150

Secondly are these new cards considered "new products"? I.e. would you be able to apply again if under the 18 month rule? Also it looks like the AAdvantage Gold has a nice little 25k sign up bonus which may be a nice bump, I'm not sure I've ever seen this card offered before.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
ss.PNG

Screenshotted FTW. Nice find. $95 for the Admirals Club membership alone is a winner.

Edit- I don't see the $200 statement credit either- strange looking bird.

Last edited:

KennyBSAT

Staff member
From the application page:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi Executive®/AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months.

AFAIK Citi has been enforcing this, issuing the cards that have this language with no bonus. So if you got an Executive card earlier this year and want to keep churning, I'd go with the still-churnable (updated 2/7/15) working zombie link, 50K after 5K spend, and can be cancelled for AF refund within 37 days of AF posting if you like.

Last edited:

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Good call brotha, I didn't realize the zombies were still around. It looks like the old lady and I will be doing another round.

Although if you do need lounge access, $95 is hard to beat :D

wildcanuck22

Hey Citi is telling me they will not honor the $95 fee, they are saying it was an error, but we should have seen the fine print. I do not want to pay 450 a year. Has anyone had luck getting them to honor the 95 fee?

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Hey Citi is telling me they will not honor the $95 fee, they are saying it was an error, but we should have seen the fine print. I do not want to pay 450 a year. Has anyone had luck getting them to honor the 95 fee?
Move it up the chain of command, the managers won't want to deal with the headache. Ask them what sort of shady bait-and-switch marketing they are doing where one thing is advertised but another is slipped into the fine print.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I would HUCA, and if all else fails I believe some folk have had success taking the points and cancelling the card. Typically I would say that might be beyond my ethical line, but if they are trying to screw you over on their mistake then bollocks to them.

EDIT - Can someone remind me of the window for this, is it 30 days? That then becomes your fight window, and bail if all else fails.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
I would HUCA, and if all else fails I believe some folk have had success taking the points and cancelling the card. Typically I would say that might be beyond my ethical line, but if they are trying to screw you over on their mistake then bollocks to them.

EDIT - Can someone remind me of the window for this, is it 30 days? That then becomes your fight window, and bail if all else fails.
30 days is correct. Although not a great deal I'd still pay $450 for 50,000 AA miles and lounge access.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
T&C say 30 days from when the statement is delivered. In practice they give 37 days from the statement date.

If it is within 35 days, a simple SM 'Please close my card account ending with 1234' is all that is needed. If you cut it really close it's better to call and cancel. Don't talk about the fee, that will only confuse them. The CSR cannot and will not refund the AF but the system will automatically refund it.

TravelDean

Say NO to road trips
From the application page:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi Executive®/AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months.

AFAIK Citi has been enforcing this, issuing the cards that have this language with no bonus. So if you got an Executive card earlier this year and want to keep churning, I'd go with the still-churnable working zombie link, 50K after 5K spend, and can be cancelled for AF refund within 37 days of AF posting if you like.
Is there still a zombie link that works for the churn? Tried this one today and it does not work.
Thanks!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Here's the link called 'option 2' from the FT thread. 55K miles posted to Bonnie's acct this morning from that app.

Last edited:

KennyBSAT

Staff member
How long was it from receiving the card to points applied in Bonnie's AA account?
Applied & approved 1/18, received the card 1/22, met spending 1/23, Statement closed 2/4, miles posted 2/6. Quick cycle, and the card is ready to be closed as soon as she gets another (Exec or Prestige) card 2/18.