Christian Healthcare Cost Sharing

ldylwr

I am rethinking not carrying actual health insurance. My family (2 parents mid 30s and 2 kiddos 3 and 5) are healthy. We have been members (gold plan plus brothers keeper) of Christian Healthcare Ministries since May and have had no occasions to actually use it. (Thankfully, our only medical costs this year have been flu shots and well visits for about $500 oop. ) The monthly cost is $450 plus $75 per quarter. Basically if we were not doing something unmoral and got sick/hurt we would pay $500 per accident/illness. No preventive care or preexisting conditions are covered (we have none).

We do not qualify for a subsidy on the exchange or employer health plans. The lowest cost exchange plans are completely worthless as the only covered hospital and most of the providers are 100 miles away (zero coverage if we do not use these), and the hospital is crap.

To get coverage we may be able to use the monthly cost is $890 per month plus with 6k per person deductible (or so it varies within a few hundred bucks) and 13k or so per family deductible.

There is no tax penalty for not having insurance as the Ministry is grandfathered in under Obama care.

Questions:
1. I am concerned about plan solvency given lack of regulation and large influx of new members (although I assume most are healthy otherwise they would get real insurance.)
2. I would like to be able to use a HSA but, I think I am not eligible with this Ministry. Am I wrong?
3. If a family member were to become ill, would a life event (like a divorce) trigger the ability to enroll mid-year in an exchange plan?

Thanks,

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I am rethinking not carrying actual health insurance. My family (2 parents mid 30s and 2 kiddos 3 and 5) are healthy. We have been members (gold plan plus brothers keeper) of Christian Healthcare Ministries since May and have had no occasions to actually use it. (Thankfully, our only medical costs this year have been flu shots and well visits for about $500 oop. ) The monthly cost is $450 plus $75 per quarter. Basically if we were not doing something unmoral and got sick/hurt we would pay $500 per accident/illness. No preventive care or preexisting conditions are covered (we have none).

We do not qualify for a subsidy on the exchange or employer health plans. The lowest cost exchange plans are completely worthless as the only covered hospital and most of the providers are 100 miles away (zero coverage if we do not use these), and the hospital is crap.

To get coverage we may be able to use the monthly cost is $890 per month plus with 6k per person deductible (or so it varies within a few hundred bucks) and 13k or so per family deductible.

There is no tax penalty for not having insurance as the Ministry is grandfathered in under Obama care.

Questions:
1. I am concerned about plan solvency given lack of regulation and large influx of new members (although I assume most are healthy otherwise they would get real insurance.)
2. I would like to be able to use a HSA but, I think I am not eligible with this Ministry. Am I wrong?
3. If a family member were to become ill, would a life event (like a divorce) trigger the ability to enroll mid-year in an exchange plan?

Thanks,
Link to the plan?

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
There's several organizations that have been around for years. Most people are against them because it's not "insurance", there's no government regulation or guarantee payment. However, it's extremely difficult to find complaints about the companies from people who have been involved. I wonder what Ben Carsen's thoughts are about them. Hmm, maybe I should try google.

.chministries (dot) org/default.aspx

/samaritanministries (dot) org/how-it-works/guidelines/