Chile in July?

Panache

Level 2 Member
We're deciding about the summer 2017 trip and I've been thinking of Chile. But, it will be winter. Yay? Nay? Pros/cons?

From what I gather, going to Punta Arenas/Torres del Paine in July is feasible but a lot will be closed, but also no crowds. Worth it or skip and go to Easter Island? Or would it be better to save this trip for December?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
TDP would be inconvenient at that time - at least for the W hike since most facilities might be closed. Might be OK if you want to take it easy and stay in a hotel.

For me meeting other travelers in TDP was a highlight, so winter wouldn't be my first choice.

Another option is Atacama Desert: the driest, most Mars-like place on the planet.

p.s. I highly recommend TDP, and personally I'd go in Spring or Fall to avoid the crowd. Don't miss the penguins @ Punta Arenas, and if you have time consider checking out Fitz Roy and Glaciar Perito Moreno on the Argentine side (though Grey Glacier at TDP is already quite awe-inspiring).

Panache

Level 2 Member
Thanks! TDP sounds great, is the only way to see TDP through some trek? I only see lonely planet guides come up that involve camping or staying in shelters? SO dislikes camping and/or listening to others snore in bunk bed sleeping arrangements (and I'm not particularly fond of it either). I see several nice hotels on Tripadvisor but I can't figure out if they are part of the W or not.

Unfortunately I am on an academic schedule so I only get time off June-August and 2 weeks over Xmas, which may not be enough for such a long haul trip. Which sucks for being in the points game so we have to plan way in advance. Some reviews say winter is quite nice as no crowds and no wind in spite of cold.

I'd definitely want to include Atacama and Easter Island as part of the journey. Any advice greatly appreciated.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Thanks! TDP sounds great, is the only way to see TDP through some trek?
It's possible to enjoy TDP without subjecting yourself to dorms and camping. You can stay in a hotel inside the park (Hotel Las Torres, for example) and do some day hikes, to the namesake towers (a strenuous hike) and Mirador Cuernos, for example -- the 2 most photographed scenes in the park. You'll see some magnificent views if the weather cooperates, which is always a gamble in southern Patagonia.

Hiking the W puts you more in touch with the awesome nature that TDP is famous for, but you can still see a fair amount with day hikes (combined with bus and boats) from a hotel, if you plan well.

Think of it like the Grand Canyon: where accessible by car, the views can be spectacular. The more you want to see, the more walking required. Some of the gems are only accessible by hiking and camping.

SO dislikes camping and/or listening to others snore in bunk bed sleeping arrangements (and I'm not particularly fond of it either).
I have to be ready for this every time I sleep on a plane, so I always have world-class earplugs and eye mask ;)

I see several nice hotels on Tripadvisor but I can't figure out if they are part of the W or not.
The W and the roads/hotels never meets. The closest hotel to the W would be Hotel Las Torres, which is about a 10 min walk to the W. Otherwise the W and the roads (where all hotels are) are separated by lakes.

Unfortunately I am on an academic schedule so I only get time off June-August and 2 weeks over Xmas, which may not be enough for such a long haul trip. Which sucks for being in the points game so we have to plan way in advance. Some reviews say winter is quite nice as no crowds and no wind in spite of cold.
It's a toss up. I would just read lots of trip reports from both seasons and see which one your heart leans towards.

Having said that, you might want to consider Fitz Roy as an alternative to TDP (in the same region but on the Argentina side). FR is better suited for day hikes and comfort, while TDP is better for serious hiking (though as mentioned, it's possible to get around it). And the consensus seems to be FR has the better sunrise. See this article for a comparison:

Code:
https://beachesandbackpacks.com/2015/01/06/trekking-in-patagonia-el-chalten-vs-torres-del-paine/

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I like the Grand Canyon analogy, makes a lot of sense now. I will look into Fitz Roy, that sounds like a great suggestion!

SO is also thinking we should just burn the miles and go to Australia and leave Chile for some other time. Hmm....

Anyway, this is a great starting point, thanks for the detailed response!

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
2 years ago I went on a month long trip to Chile and Argentina, but during their summer/our winter. I made it to Easter Island, Atacama Desert, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Mendoza, and Tierra Del Fuego (not TDP).

I can definitely recommend all the places I went to. The only place I think I spent too much time was in Mendoza. EI and AD should be about 4 days each to get a good feel and see the majority of what you would want to see. Mendoza has a bunch of wine tours, some trekking, and a few other things. We went to TDF to check out ushuaia which was cool and i'll probably spend more time there went I make it back to Antartica. They apparently have famous cross-country skiing there if you are interested in that.

smittytabb

Staff member
We're deciding about the summer 2017 trip and I've been thinking of Chile. But, it will be winter. Yay? Nay? Pros/cons?

From what I gather, going to Punta Arenas/Torres del Paine in July is feasible but a lot will be closed, but also no crowds. Worth it or skip and go to Easter Island? Or would it be better to save this trip for December?
I have family in Santiago and travel to Chile regularly. I would go to the south of Chile a different season than our summer, but the rest of the country is rather temperate even in winter. The climate in Santiago is similar to Northern California. I think a trip to Easter Island is totally worth it and of course one of the best ways is flying from Santiago!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Our neighbors just came back from a week in Chile. He's a biochemist, and presented a paper at a conference there, then they went sightseeing. Said it was cool, not cold, for them. We live in MN, so cold is relative, I realize. OTOH, they're both originally from the south of India, and they understand both very cold AND very hot.

I trust that cool means cool.

smittytabb

Staff member
Our neighbors just came back from a week in Chile. He's a biochemist, and presented a paper at a conference there, then they went sightseeing. Said it was cool, not cold, for them. We live in MN, so cold is relative, I realize. OTOH, they're both originally from the south of India, and they understand both very cold AND very hot.

I trust that cool means cool.
Yeah. I am going next month and it will be cool, not cold.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
My cousin and his wife took a cruise along the Pacific coast of South America, the January after he retired, with plenty of stops at amazing places. It caught my interest, and now, hearing about the neighbors' trip, I'm trying to convince Husband that Chile or Argentina would be an excellent destination for next winter's vacation.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I looked at the weather reports for Patagonia, and looked at long-term averages on the Chilean and Argentinean weather bureau sites. And, with average highs in the ~4-6 C range at this time of year, and less than 8 hours of daylight (it is a lot further south than I thought!), that is best left for another time. The rest seems like a good plan, though!

SO may be able to take a slightly longer break next year, so we've kind of changed tracks and are aiming for Australia since we do have the miles and so much is in flux now. Will remember the advice for next time or plan a trip in Dec/Jan, thanks to all for the feedback!

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
SO may be able to take a slightly longer break next year, so we've kind of changed tracks and are aiming for Australia since we do have the miles and so much is in flux now. Will remember the advice for next time or plan a trip in Dec/Jan, thanks to all for the feedback!
Let me know where you are thinking to go in Aussie, I just went there for a month. Tasmania is definitely a cool/under-visited place