Chase Sapphire Preferred and buying gift cards

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
I don't have this card but DS travels a lot and just got it. It suits him well, but he has to spend $4k in the next 3 months. Would anyone know if buying Visa GC at staples will work toward that and if Chase will consider visa gift card purchases at Staples as purchases or cash advance? would like to be sure before anything is done.

Really appreciate the help. Thank you

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I don't have this card but DS travels a lot and just got it. It suits him well, but he has to spend $4k in the next 3 months. Would anyone know if buying Visa GC at staples will work toward that and if Chase will consider visa gift card purchases at Staples as purchases or cash advance? would like to be sure before anything is done.

Really appreciate the help. Thank you
Won't be a problem but VGCs are expensive at Staples. You could fund a checking account for at least part of it. Look up DoC's blog posts for information. Before getting any credit card, it's always good to have a plan to meet min. spend.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
Won't be a problem but VGCs are expensive at Staples. You could fund a checking account for at least part of it. Look up DoC's blog posts for information. Before getting any credit card, it's always good to have a plan to meet min. spend.
thank you for this. and yes, he does have a plan. He travels. heavily, so most likely he will get there anyway, but mommy always wants to help. Even if the child is no longer a child. thanks

btw, Staples this week has buy $300 VGC, get $20 rebate. even with the fees, I am still ahead by a few $$.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
thank you for this. and yes, he does have a plan. He travels. heavily, so most likely he will get there anyway, but mommy always wants to help. Even if the child is no longer a child. thanks

btw, Staples this week has buy $300 VGC, get $20 rebate. even with the fees, I am still ahead by a few $$.
Absolutely! If he already has the card, it's a good week to take advantage of the GCs and rebate. It's only one per household, but if he has friends and family with a different last name he could send the rebate to them too.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
Absolutely! If he already has the card, it's a good week to take advantage of the GCs and rebate. It's only one per household, but if he has friends and family with a different last name he could send the rebate to them too.
so, just to be sure, VGC at staples doesn't count as cash advance? I looked at DoC before I posted, but I don't see anything there specifically for that.
thanks again for helping

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
so, just to be sure, VGC at staples doesn't count as cash advance? I looked at DoC before I posted, but I don't see anything there specifically for that.
thanks again for helping
It doesn't count for a cash advance,but if you're worried about that, he can lower his cash advance limit to $0 or whatever they'll go to. Any cash advance charges over that amount won't go through.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
It doesn't count for a cash advance,but if you're worried about that, he can lower his cash advance limit to $0 or whatever they'll go to. Any cash advance charges over that amount won't go through.
great idea! I already passed it on to him and will do same for my cards. never occurred to me. thanks

Last edited: