Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

Chase IHG

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Hanoi IG, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hanoi IG

Hanoi IG Level 2 Member

OK, was gonna pass on this as we rarely stay in InterCon but I recall that Mark Hopkins is in this group and we plan a week in San Francisco next summer. Prefer the Fairmont but if some was free, the Mark is certainly at least acceptable. Shabby chic as I recall from a visit in 2008

2. GetawaysRus

GetawaysRus Level 2 Member

What's your question?

I (and my wife) have had this card for a number of years. The annual fee has so far stayed at $49. It offers one annual free night at an IHG property and IHG Platinum status. I find it easy to get more than $49 value from the annual free night. For example, I might need a one night stay at an airport hotel before an early flight. Or perhaps I need a one night stay in the middle of a road trip. And sometimes I can use the free night at a more expensive hotel. I remember that we stayed at the Intercontinental in Porto, Portugal for 2 nights using each of our free night certs. As Plats, we got a corner room facing the main square.

3. Belisarius

Belisarius Level 2 Member

Are you the guy who just starts chatting to me in the grocery line about crab grass?

4. knick1959

knick1959 Level 2 Member

My wife and I each have an IHG card. Have for a long time, although I canceled mine awhile back and scored a new one, for the bonus, back when that was easier than it is today.

It IS worth the annual fee as at $49 you get a free night. However, I've been questioning the value of these certs over time. Holiday Inn is easy ... we used to pick them when we paid (and still often do) and they are everywhere. It's a no-brainer for a basic overnight, and quite often they have surprised us.

However, paying $49 for a $100-110 score isn't all they exceptional. I'll keep doing it, because to stop now would shock the system. I had to spreadsheet re-evaluate my Club Carlson scheme recently (spending $10k a year on 3 cards to get 3 certs). The value of one of these certs for us has been in the same range - low level hotels usually. The MS work for this is not too much, but a number of trips to WM and floating GCs? Well, the spreadsheet shows that each cert PLUS the 50k points ($10k x 5) are worth the cost. Again, we're not killing it with these, but this is another couple of free basic nights.

The Hyatt certs seem harder to use. I have managed to use my last one (I killed my own card) on this SUNDAY actually, 2 days before it expires. Was left over from a previous trip mishap where I missed using it and for whatever reason, they credited it back. I need to take a look at my wife's card to see if we should keep going with this scheme. I know I have had a Hyatt cert or 2 expire in the past. Can't have that happening when we're paying a fee!

All small potatoes, but it adds up when you multiply 100+ (as a bare minimum for a hotel room) times a number of certs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. GetawaysRus

GetawaysRus Level 2 Member

If you think about it, a lot of the what we do in this hobby isn't all that exceptional. As knick says, it's largely about small gains, over and over and over. There's the occasional big score, such as meeting the spend on a new credit card. But, by staying at the little stuff consistently, by the end of the year I've accumulated enough miles/points to start planning another grand vacation at a modest cost. All those small potatoes allow my wife and I to travel in a style that would otherwise be unaffordable and to create some wonderful memories.

6. AnyNameYouWish

AnyNameYouWish Level 2 Member

It's not exceptional but it's still a no brainer. I don't recall if it's still going on now but getting 80k points for a 1k spend is easy peasy too. We had no problem finding use for those points.

7. misenlai

misenlai Level 2 Member Premium Supporter

There are several Intercontinental hotels that make this card $49 fee easily worth it!

8. DavidNJ

DavidNJ Level 2 Member

We used both our free night for NYE Time Square a couple years ago @ the Crowne Plaza. Cash cost for two rooms w/ tax was $5K. Stay was counted as paid, received 40K plus points and they threw in breakfast for 4. I'd say that was a good return! Used our two nights in Feb. 2017 @ IC Cancun. There was a swim from Cancun to Isla Mujeres so the hotel was fully booked. Standard room was $600. Typically, standard is about $300 that time of year. Having Ambassador & Spire gave us two upgrades to Oceanfront suite & they threw in lounge which is worth about $600 per night including tax. We won't be getting rid of the IHG card anytime soon!

9. misenlai

$2.5k per room per night? how? I'm looking at crown plaza and it's only $250 per night

10. Suzie

Suzie Level 2 Member

I can recommend The Willard IC in DC. Gorgeous and great location. They upgraded us to a two room corner suite with two full baths. And the service was outstanding. We used two free night certs - mine and spouse, under two different reservations and it was no problem to stay in same room both nights.

The nights we were there the regular king rooms were upwards of $550/night - so definitely worth $49. We've used free night certs at IC's in Aqaba, Amsterdam and Hong Kong, also. I find the certs easy to use.

11. heavenlyjane

heavenlyjane Level 2 Member

The I/C Willard is one of the best redemptions in the United States. Historical hotel where multiple historic events took place.

12. Suzie

Suzie Level 2 Member

Yes! I learned where the term "lobbying" came from! Very interesting hotel.

13. Hanoi IG

Hanoi IG Level 2 Member

Wasn't a question was just a post telling what I decided to do. One time I was told I was a "taker" and to post info if I had it. Guess this doesn't qualify.

14. Hanoi IG

Hanoi IG Level 2 Member

?????? Doubtful. I have always hated lawn care and lawns in general so we sold our house in 2005 and never looked back.

15. Hanoi IG

Hanoi IG Level 2 Member

So I took the 100K/$2000 and signed my wife up for the 80K/$1000. I got instant approval for $33000 line. She was delayed but they called and approved her by moving a few bucks from CSR which we won't miss. We always stay in Sofitels where they exist and have been using Hilton as backup but I'm sure we can find a place(like SF) to use these points.

16. DavidNJ

DavidNJ Level 2 Member

NYE means New Year's Eve. Crown Plaza Time Square is already sold out for NYE this year.

17. misenlai

oh that's smart. I should do that next year. Not that hotel but more interested in a hotel with a good view of firework :)

18. currid7

currid7 Level 2 Member

Not the best redemption mathematically, but I was able to do cash / points for upgraded room at Intercontinental Times Square to watch the ball drop in Times Square and next day propose in Central Park. Ended up spending < $1,000 on basically a last minute trip for rooms that were over that per night.

19. ChrisM

ChrisM New Member

I can echo sentiments about the Willard. I proposed to my wife in one of the suites at the hotel - the hotel's employees really went above and beyond to make it a special weekend for us.

20. misenlai

going there for a friend's wedding soon. Will find out :)

21. heavenlyjane

heavenlyjane Level 2 Member

When we were there, we commented to the front desk that their locally-made turn-down chocolates were classy. That evening we have a complimentary gift basket awaiting us full of chocolate by the same chocolatier. It's the little touches that make lifelong happy memories.

22. SanDiego1K

SanDiego1K Level 2 Member

I also like getting the 10% rebate on points stay that is a perk of this card.

23. currid7

currid7 Level 2 Member

Pretty off topic, but another decent benefit is $0.06 off per gallon at Shell stations. Link up to Fuel Rewards and you'll get the discount at the pump after putting in your phone number. Better than nothing

24. Suzie

Suzie Level 2 Member

There is a very small "museum" off the lobby. Worth 15 minutes of your time. Lots of photos and history.

Enjoy!

25. Mack14

Mack14 New Member

If you do a proper research, you will find several hotels that will make $49 fee card useful. All you need is some research.