Chase Freedom worth it for 2nd credit card?

Chase Freedom worth it?

• Nah (if so, because...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mcflyer

Level 2 Member
Hi I was just approved for a Barclaycard Arrival+ as my very first credit card but depending on whether or not i can downgrade to the no AF rewards MasterCard(I've seen mixed DP on being able to do so after last year or so), I probably won't keep it after a year. I need something that will stay with me forever to increase my Age of account seeing as I have such a limited credit history.

Considering the 5/24 rule... I plan to either go for a CSP or a Chase freedom next month. I do plan to get both sometime, and downgrade the CSP to a second Freedom (also mixed DP on being able to so recently). Is the freedom worth the hassle with the 5x rotating UR rewards or should I just skip my double Freedom plan entirely? If I need to be redirected, thanks in advance for the help. Beginner but constantly reading on topics.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Hi I was just approved for a Barclaycard Arrival+ as my very first credit card but depending on whether or not i can downgrade to the no AF rewards MasterCard(I've seen mixed DP on being able to do so after last year or so), I probably won't keep it after a year. I need something that will stay with me forever to increase my Age of account seeing as I have such a limited credit history.

Considering the 5/24 rule... I plan to either go for a CSP or a Chase freedom next month. I do plan to get both sometime, and downgrade the CSP to a second Freedom (also mixed DP on being able to so recently). Is the freedom worth the hassle with the 5x rotating UR rewards or should I just skip my double Freedom plan entirely? If I need to be redirected, thanks in advance for the help. Beginner but constantly reading on topics.
Note that if you succeed in this plan you will be generating UR (and perhaps have some from the CSP if you don't transfer out) that cannot be transfered. You need the CSP (or other premium/fee card) for transfers. You can only use your UR for a small subset of things.

To answer the overall question, it would be beneficial to hold both the normal Freedom AND the Freedom Unlimited to maximize bonuses. I tried for the pair once but was 5/24 denied.

Last edited:

GRiZ

Level 2 Member
To continue what knick said the power of UR is when pairing a 5x card with a card that can transfer to airline partners or gets more than 1ppc for travel redemptions. As far as I can tell no chase cards that have a higher points redemption/partner transfer are also fee free, so you have to figure out which card you're willing to pay for or churn that will provide the most value to you.

Mcflyer

Level 2 Member
Note that if you succeed in this plan you will be generating UR (and perhaps have some from the CSP if you don't transfer out) that cannot be transfered. You need the CSP (or other premium/fee card) for transfers. You can only use your UR for a small subset of things.

To answer the overall question, it would be beneficial to hold both the normal Freedom AND the Freedom Unlimited to maximize bonuses. I tried for the pair once but was 5/24 denied.
Regarding the points that I can't transfer, are you mainly referring to the fact that i (theoretically) downgraded from the CSP and I can't transfer without a premium card correct? I was ok with this scenario as I figure i'd just wait to stockpile pts, try for a CSR and use them during that time period, but as it is brought up, I've read that the sapphire cards are considered a 1-per-person when applying now. As policies are now, Would I have issues getting a CSR if I, say PC the CSP down and wait a year?

If I downgrade the CSP to a freedom or FU, I keep the UR pts I attain w/ that account right? seeing as they're still UR rewards cards

GRiZ

Level 2 Member
You can have one sapphire card, so if you downgrade the CSP you could get the CSR the following day (theoretically). alternatively, you could PC the card up to a CSR or CSP if you so desire, or you get denied for the new CSR. You maintain the UR points as long as you don't close the card (AFAIK) even then you get either 30 or 60 days to use them.