Chase Cyberattack - potential for over 76M households impacted

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
"As they analyze the contours of the breach, investigators in law enforcement remain puzzled, partly because there is no evidence that the attackers looted any money from customer accounts."

I don't find it puzzling. I think it's a test run to see what can be accomplished at perhaps another bank.
A proof of concept for a product that could be resold perhaps?

Haley

I am not a robot
Guys, they just got enough info to dox(x) 87 million people/businesses. They also got loan info and net worth. This might just be the foundation work for something bigger. Such a fun circle, criminals dox targets, then get caught by their own tricks.

There are already reports of phishing emails, but those may not even be directly related. The old enter old password to select new password scam.

Some advice: Your favorite color? Seven. Place of birthday? TheKinks. Pets name? Conjunctionshookupnounsandverbs. Never use answers that make sense for security questions. But do remember them.

In case the term is new to some:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

Haley

I am not a robot
A proof of concept for a product that could be resold perhaps?
you are giving them way too much credit. Given the scope of this, odds are it was super easy to pull off. Like checking to see if anyone forgot to reset a default password, or used something like 'admin' or qwerty. Sort of counterintuitive but those kind of numbers tend to mean someone didn't lock the door.

Which isn't to say they didn't hit the jackpot, just that it might have been easy.