Chase changes statement close date to "help"

Brenton

Level 2 Member
I have a friend who recently applied for the Chase southwest card. I told him to make the purchase to put him past the bonus threshold in 2017, but that he would probably be fine, as the points don't post before the statement closes. I then emphasized that I would wait to finish the spend until 2017.

12/13/16 - opens card
12/20/16 - receives card
12/24/16 - makes big purchase(s)
12/27/16 - statement closes

When he called in, the chase rep claimed they made the changes to "help him get the points sooner". They did this without his consent. They also told him that b/c the points have already been sent to southwest, there's nothing they can do.

Does he have any recourse? I've seen cases similar to this, like the guy who sued southwest, but nothing exactly the same.

TIA

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
That is crazy. In hindsight of course he really should have waited until January to finish the spend. But as for right now I have no idea if he can do anything at all. I am afraid he is just out.

Did it actually give a statement close date before? Because sometimes I have had cards that never posted the close date until it actually closed so you never really knew when it would.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
I talked to him again, and interestingly enough, he had applied for the business sw card a week prior to the personal, but that statement hasn't closed yet. So it looks like they were able to post the bonus points on either side of the year to prevent his companion pass...

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It's not prevented, just delayed. He's got the 50K+the spend points for Jan, and it's pretty easy to MS the rest. Sucks, but better than MSing from scratch.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
Sure, prevented the easy way. But not everyone belongs in a world of MSing, especially if they can't listen to the good advice of delaying the spend.

projectx

Level 2 Member
That's unreal. What was the original close date? When I went for the CP last year my closing date was 1/3... did all my spend in December. I would have been pissed if they pulled this on me.

I'll keep this in mind next year if my wife tries for the CP. It looks like moving forward, it's OK to spend in December, but don't get anywhere near the $2k threshold until January.