Chase Card Signup Strategy Help (IHG + Hyatt)

knick1959

Level 2 Member
#1
I've been booking ahead for a couple of trips and come to find I can use a boost in a couple of hotel areas - both having Chase credit cards.

I currently have the IHG card. I've had it for well over 2 years, so that limitation is satisfied. I would like to obtain a new (highest possible, of course) signup bonus. If I close it, I read somewhere here (although I can't find the post via search) that folks have been able to get a new one relatively quickly. No 5/24 test.

This is my first priority.

I've also had the Hyatt card before (over 2 years ago) but closed mine awhile back. Want a new one for the signup points. This is a distant second priority, but could be important for travel in Jan 2019.

So, any recent experiences with close and reopen of the IHG card? How long should I wait after closing?

Assuming I get that in motion - how long should I wait for the Hyatt card? I can satisfy my Hyatt needs with a UR transfer, but would rather try for a new card. As long as it doesn't interfere with by priority one scheme for a new IHG card.

TIA.
 

italdesign

Level 2 Member
#2
I waited less than 2 weeks (more like a week) between closing IHG #1 and opening #2. No problem getting bonus.

5 months ago I would have no hesitation getting 2 Chase cards in one day, but with the recent shutdowns, I'm no longer doing that. I'd wait 2 months if possible.
 

knick1959

Level 2 Member
#3
I waited less than 2 weeks (more like a week) between closing IHG #1 and opening #2. No problem getting bonus.

5 months ago I would have no hesitation getting 2 Chase cards in one day, but with the recent shutdowns, I'm no longer doing that. I'd wait 2 months if possible.
Thanks. I've had my IHG account hacked twice in 2 years and I've gotten it all back fairly quickly after reporting it, but the certs were always slower and required Chase to confirm I had a card and a free cert. Hence, I've allocated the cert I have to a stay at the IC in Hong Kong (thanks for the advice on there, elsewhere). I will SM to close the account today then wait ~1 week before I reapply.

I can wait on the Hyatt, so I'll add something to my calendar to remind me in a couple of months.

Not quite on this topics, but I've also abused the Arrival+ and BoA Premium Awards card very recently. Is there any other card that allows for substantial rebates on Hotel stays. I have one more idea that requires some cash, if it even ends up possible to add to my schedule.

Brings up another question: I know you can't have 2 Arrival card at the same time. I suppose you also can't have 2 BoA PA cards? That would make sense, since the points are owned by BoA.
 

italdesign

Level 2 Member
#4
To be on the safe side, I would wait 2 weeks before reapplying. I only waited less b/c the 100k offer was about to expire. There's no such restriction right now.

Altitude Reserve is worth 1.5x towards hotels. CapOne works like Arrival without the $100 minimum. Of course CSR is also worth 1.5x, but we churning mortals can only envy.

Great use of free night on IC HK.
 

knick1959

Level 2 Member
#5
To be on the safe side, I would wait 2 weeks before reapplying. I only waited less b/c the 100k offer was about to expire. There's no such restriction right now.

Great use of free night on IC HK.
I did execute my IHG toggle and apparently just in time. I applied and was approved for a new card on 3/18. Looks like I am grandfathered into a full cert at the end of the billing-year. Not in time to use for the big trip in Jan (Hong Kong) but I'm scheming more trips through next year. I cert is not enough, tho. Losing the greatness of having a pair of cards between my wife and me.

It would have been slightly more beneficial if they would have just handed out 40k points. But alas, I'm sure they make out making the award fit into one night where you are likely to go under and you can't stretch it into multiple nights. I'm not sure we'll find the same utility with this card now. Will evaluate when fees come due.

Does anyone know? I believe the free night cert is awarded before or AS the fee is due. Is it possible to keep the cert and cancel the card? A bit risky to try, but if I decide I don't want the card for another year ...

My wife is due for a cert on 4/17, looking at what happened last year. Per what I'm reading, that should be a FULL cert, and her last. We will leverage this for a second night at the IC HKG. I may even pay for a third night, but the jury is still out on this. My wife would prefer not to switch hotels for one night AND the rates aren't really too terrible expensive. Well, ok, not cheap, but I could live with it. The points+cash rate is terrible.
 
Top