Chase branch success - way over 5/24

Hey folks. Just offering up a data point here. Hope it helps...

I've read a lot about in branch offers being better or more lienient and can finally verify that is TRUE. Went into a bank (Chase) for the first time in probably 15 years a week ago to set up a small business bank account. Asked the nice personal banker to humor me and tell me what personal cards I qualified for. 820+ score. $100k+ income. Only light mortgage debt. Probably 20/24 (maybe 17 at the time).

Response: "Sir, you qualify for pretty much all of our cards."

Shocked, and as I had not expected to get a Chase CC that day, I had to have her explain some of the details/differences between Sapphire Preferred vs Reserve. Ultimately went with Preferred...had all I needed (primary rental car insurance) and a higher bonus. Will wait for the 100k Reserve bonus to come back eventually.

So for those of you like me that may be too lazy or doubtful about walking into a branch, follow the Nike slogan...just do it...you may be 55k UR points richer.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I highly doubt the Reserve 100k bonus will ever come back. I hope I'm wrong. But anyway, congrats on the approval. I never had any luck going in branch.

I hate to temper your enthusiasm, but there have been numerous datapoints of people getting approved for a Chase CC then getting all of their accounts shutdown shortly thereafter as they notice the high number of recently opened accounts (any accounts, not just Chase). Now there are also success stories of being reinstated after pleading your case it's not always permanent. Not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up so you're not blindsided should Chase decide to drop the ban hammer.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Opening a business account should have also qualified you for an INK card of some variant. That would have had more punch, IMO, than either of the Sapphire cards. Both in the sign up bonus AND everyday spend, if you are willing to not necessarily use it strictly for business. If you don't have one already, you might plan on chasing this angle.

Knick - Yes, they offered up the INKs. Already have the old school INK Business Plus for my soul proprietorship. Hit that heavy (but don't max out) at office supply stores. The business account that I recently set up was for an LLC and partner wasn't ready (he's only started dipping his toes into churning) - so I didn't push for another INK. He wasn't convinced we'd have all the "business expenses" that I felt we'd have to meet minimum spend. Just my luck - I go into business with a honest guy - ha! Besides, I really wanted that primary rental car insurance coverage the Sapphire (and Reserve) offer...two recent break-ins on rental cars. And this way I don't have to share the points. 55k from the Sapphire is better than 80k split two ways.

ProjectX - Thanks for the word of caution. I've tread very lightly on Chase since 5/24 was implemented. Only opened the British Airways card about a year ago. No other actions with them. But I understand I'm now poking the bear... I've been reading on these shutdowns and see no real discernible pattern. Seems to be largely a matter of luck. Despite those concerns, I think I'm going to stop by the branch this week, make a business deposit and ask what I'm qualified for...with the goal of getting that no AF INK Cash 50k (for my SP). Will post DP.

gumercindo

Level 2 Member
I think the 50k CIC is a tremendous value. For me, that's my UR bread and butter. No AF, great spend cats, etc.

Maybe in-branch isn't such a great deal after all.

I previously hit a home run when I opened a checking account for my LLC and was qualified for everything Chase offered in late March despite being 20/24.

Went back two weeks ago to press my luck. Opened a personal checking for the free $300 and in hopes of the nice lady offering me more pre-qual cards. Nothing. Nada.

Interesting how the winds so quick.

I offered up a personal British Airways as a sacrifice hoping for a Hyatt or Freedom or something. She couldn't do anything with it. Honestly, she looked lost as to what I was trying to do.

I went ahead and applied for the no AF 50k CIC for my SP just to press my luck. Pending. Two weeks later, no letter and no new account online. Never taken so long to get a reply...Like the late great Tom Petty said - the waiting is the hardest part.

In light of recent Chase shutdowns, what's the consensus thought here assuming I'm ultimately declined? Call reconsider and ask to move credit lines around? Or take what I got, be happy and leave Chase alone for a while? Shutdowns seem pretty rare, but don't want to loose the UR program.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly...

Opened a biz checking a month ago. Were you "prequalified" or "preapproved"? The latter will get you what you want, the former gets you jack squat. You didn't apply for anything at that time right?

Recently opened a personal checking, and had no preapprovals.

You offered to cancel your BA card in hopes they would approve you for a different card? That will never work.

Despite having no preapproved offers this time around tried to apply for the CIC despite being 20/24. I'm guessing this was because you were preapproved in March? Sorry... if the offer isn't there now, that window is closed.

Two weeks later and no resolution. I highly doubt you will be approved for the CIC. And given the reports of shutdowns lately when applying for a card, I really hope you come out unscathed. Let us know how it all pans out.

gumercindo

Level 2 Member
Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly...

Opened a biz checking a month ago. Were you "prequalified" or "preapproved"? The latter will get you what you want, the former gets you jack squat. You didn't apply for anything at that time right?

Recently opened a personal checking, and had no preapprovals.

You offered to cancel your BA card in hopes they would approve you for a different card? That will never work.

Despite having no preapproved offers this time around tried to apply for the CIC despite being 20/24. I'm guessing this was because you were preapproved in March? Sorry... if the offer isn't there now, that window is closed.

Two weeks later and no resolution. I highly doubt you will be approved for the CIC. And given the reports of shutdowns lately when applying for a card, I really hope you come out unscathed. Let us know how it all pans out.
Yep, all this. Having blazed through Chase in 14 months (5 personal and 3 biz), I'm onto AA churning and Amex. There is no way I'm going to invite ANY scrutiny from chase. I won't even sniff a banking bonus from them. I'm done with them for good. With the recent shut down DPs, not sure why anyone would risk it with Chase, even if you go through a BRM.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Maybe in-branch isn't such a great deal after all.

I previously hit a home run when I opened a checking account for my LLC and was qualified for everything Chase offered in late March despite being 20/24.

Went back two weeks ago to press my luck. Opened a personal checking for the free $300 and in hopes of the nice lady offering me more pre-qual cards. Nothing. Nada.

Interesting how the winds so quick.

I offered up a personal British Airways as a sacrifice hoping for a Hyatt or Freedom or something. She couldn't do anything with it. Honestly, she looked lost as to what I was trying to do.

I went ahead and applied for the no AF 50k CIC for my SP just to press my luck. Pending. Two weeks later, no letter and no new account online. Never taken so long to get a reply...Like the late great Tom Petty said - the waiting is the hardest part.

In light of recent Chase shutdowns, what's the consensus thought here assuming I'm ultimately declined? Call reconsider and ask to move credit lines around? Or take what I got, be happy and leave Chase alone for a while? Shutdowns seem pretty rare, but don't want to loose the UR program.
You're 20/24, I'd stop applying to Chase for a while if I were in your shoes.

Finally got my "too many recent inquiries" rejection letter...

Was going to try to apply for the Hyatt and use BA as a sacrificial lamb, but based on what I'm seeing with Chase, I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks for input.

Vins68

Level 2 Member
My DH has a chase ink preferred for a business with an EIN number. Got an invitation in the mail with an code for 120k ink for the same business and his name. He is 3/24 now. should we use it and apply? can a person have 2 ink cards for the same business?

My business partner has another partnership for condo rentals. He has 2 Chase INKs for that business...one old Business Plus and one Business Cash.

If your guy is only 3/24 AND got an invite, despite shutdowns going on, that's too good to pass up. I don't think I'd hesitate to jump on that one. Legit business or not, I think I'm going after that.

Good luck.

projectx

Level 2 Member
My DH has a chase ink preferred for a business with an EIN number. Got an invitation in the mail with an code for 120k ink for the same business and his name. He is 3/24 now. should we use it and apply? can a person have 2 ink cards for the same business?
The only reason I would be hesitant is if that 3/24 was all in the last couple months. Otherwise, he has nothing to worry about. If it makes you feel any better I have an Ink+ that I've MS'd on to the max for nearly 4 years. I was at 4/24 in January when I applied for the CIP and got approval after 24 hours, then instant approval on the CSR that same day.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
The funny thing is that I have access to both a Private Client Banker and a Business Relationship Manager, but neither of them know about their abilities to get past 5/24. How might I nudge them in the right direction? Is there a copy of the fax able form available? I'm pretty sure they'd fax it along if I brought it to them filled-out.
He or she needs to mail in your application. This way, it doesn't get auto rejected by the computer algorithm. Also, the 100K Ink Preferred offer is only available in branch, not online. The agent can bring it up online, fill it out online, and then print it and mail it.