Chase auto-close CC

sriki

Level 2 Member
I had a Chase Slate CC, my second oldest card I ever had. I applied for the Hyatt CC couple of weeks ago and it went to pending. Fast forward a few days and I got an approval email. Everything seemed fine. Few days later, my Slate card was closed. I was not pleased but I wasn't seasoning it with any transactions for a really long time. Today, I received a letter from Chase explaining that they closed my Slate account to open this Hyatt account. The credit limit (5k) is the same on the Hyatt and Slate. I know companies close cards that are not being used but I never came across an account being auto closed by someone for opening a new account without the customer's input. The weird part was my I do not have a lot of Chase CCs though I have a decent CL.

Card 1 (Slate): $5000
Card 2: $1500
Card 3: $25,000
Card 4: $25,000

I have no freaking idea why they wouldn't just take CL out of the 25k cards if that was an issue. If my non-usage was an issue, then they could have closed it on some other day. But, this letter they sent out specifically said that in order to approve my new credit application, they closed my card 1. I am a bit miffed at this.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
FIA took CL from one of my cards, the one that has the lowest CL of all cards, when I opened a new card the other day. No alerting me at the time of the call, or asking me which card, nothing. Seems to be a new m.o. perhaps? Still closing a card seems way harsh

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I haven't gotten a new card in a few months. But, nah nah nah boo boo, Amex just nearly tripled my CL with them. Make it a lot easier when I offer to transfer some credit, if need be, for the business card I'm applying for after the first of the year.

May

I am new to the game and am not sure where to ask this question. I just received my FIA Amex last week. I try to link this cc to serve since it is a 2% card. The site kept saying try again something went wrong. I finally called Serve CS and she said my address was off. She link me with the American Express CS and she said this is a co brand Amex therefore I couldn't link it. Is this true? I just thank her and left it at that. Nothing that I have read anywhere said I couldn't link a cobrand Amex to serve. Sorry to post this question here I couldn't figure out where. Please Advise.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
What bothers me about this is if they start pulling CLs from cards I don't want them to like OBC.

@May, unless something has changed recently there's not a problem linking cobranded cards. After making sure the address and information is the same, I would try again. With time you learn not to listen to the CSRs. I'm waiting for my card to arrive so I can link a co branded one.

Last edited:

SCC

Level 2 Member
Happened with BOA. Oldest account, which I probably hadn't used in a couple of years, was closed when I recently applied for travel rewards. And I had been meaning to try and product change to a better balance rewards card. Lessons: 1) don't procrastinate; 2) put some spend on your cards.

kellybme

Level 2 Member
Happened to me with AMEX. They closed my Hhonors card when I applied for a 5th card. They did give me the opportunity to reverse the closure if I contacted them. I didn't bother.

Miles Hustler

For most credit card companies, you can appeal (a non-fraudulent) decision to close a card--some give you 30days, others 6 months. So if you want that credit history back, you can try contacting first the Department that handles moving credit lines between cards. Explain what happened, and see if they can re-open your Slate, but just take some of the credit line from that (or one of your other Chase) card. If the first rep can't/doesn't, escalate to a supervisor. If that still doesn't work, try reaching out to the Executive Office.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
I had a strange situation going on
In Jan I used a friend's serve to BP 5k on my Ink plus, I got confused and sent the funds to Ink Bold and got a negative Balance . I was planning to use it but I was busy doing other things and traveling and it remained like this, negative balance for a couple of months . I did talk to a phone rep and she said it was ok.
Yesterday I found that the account was closed and that I have I owe 2.3k.
After calling several times I was told that yesterday the payment done in Jan from my friends Serve had been reversed and that I was considered by the system that I had not make any payment since Jan.
I have all the statements showing no payment due(including a statement from last week).
So the reversal of the payment has a retroactive effect and it turn out I have been defaulting since Jan and as a consequence My account is closed and I don't have access to my 139k UR points. I talked to someone today in a payments dept and.....essentially she didn't understand how this happened . She started an investigation.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
That is, in a word, illegal. You could start an action with the CFPB, now, and I would bet that you would get some fast action on the case.

Chase is no different from other CC banks: they'll do what they can get away with, and then tell the Feds that it was all a misunderstanding.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
That is, in a word, illegal. You could start an action with the CFPB, now, and I would bet that you would get some fast action on the case.

Chase is no different from other CC banks: they'll do what they can get away with, and then tell the Feds that it was all a misunderstanding.
excellent advice MickiSue, even though I was told by a person from the bank that an investigation was initiated, I still started a claim with the CFPB. I'll post updates. Thanks.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
the card they cancelled is a Mastercard Ink Bold. that no longer exist. They said that once they close an account, they cannot reopen it. Do you think they can reopen it if they recognize the error? I told them clearly I want my account back. If I have to apply , probably I would not get approved because I have applied to too many CC within last 2 years.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
good news. I called today and they kept bouncing me around but, the moment I mentioned I had filed a claimed on CFPB, the CR Lady got very nervous, tried to minimize the talking and transfered me to someone. I explained what happened and he asked me if I wanted the account back. I said yes. Waited a couple of minutes, he came back , asked general questions about income in my business and at my work and reactivated the account with all my points. I already sent them to my other Ink cc
Thanks MickiSue. You were right about CFPB.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
. I went to the Bank today to talk about it with someone and to pay the balance. Then I found out they added 2 fees: Late fee Adjustment $195 and purchase interest charge $275.35
So I had the rep call and find out what was all that. It was a long call but, essentially , because they received a payment of $4,999.99 from an account which is not mine, they had "concerns" and they decided to investigate. The payment comes from a Serve account that belongs to a friend. At chase they said it would take about 7 days and they have already sent some forms or documents by mail. When I asked if the payment had been reversed or withheld, they said it was being withheld until they finish investigating.
I don't really know what investigating really entails. The only concern is that my friend gave me the serve card a while ago and she doesn't' really remember and I don't want to bother her with problems. Also, although the account is still active, it has been blocked for use like most of us . So.. I cannot load money and I am not quite sure if it can receive money from a reversed payment. I don't know if Chase can contact amex with concerns and what amex would do or if they try to contact my friend, they would do it through phone, mail or email. They said it would take a week to clear up.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
They reactivated my account but the reversed $4.999 is not showing up in the serve Account It was initiated on Friday 5/20 at night. I have been calling and they said I requested a return of that payment because it was erroneously done. I requested a copy of that email but ... they put me to wait then the call "mysteriously drops".
The Serve account is still opened but is not being able to use since it has been blocked for use, specifically for loading. I don't know if this would affect the reversal. I just talked to a lady in the bank and told me that, the reason of the reversal was that the account's names didn't match . If I want to get those fees removed, I have to send a fax or letter to the executive offices , 1 from my friend , one from me, both have to be notarized, stating that there was permission to initiate this transaction.
All this makes me wonder that chase may be doing this systematically and be checking all the payments to credit cards initiated from accounts belonging to persons other than the owner. I know There were many people who were using Many Serve from friends and families , bluebird or Red card to load with debit cards then billpay their credit cards . It would be good to take a look.