Changing Companion Pass companion

mateo9999

Level 2 Member
Long time reader, first time poster...

So the wife and I both have Southwest Companion Passes - and each of us have one of our children as our companions. We have a family trip booked right after Christmas through New Years and I fully expect those flights to be sold out at some point in the near future. The wife and I would like to take a long weekend trip for just the two of us the weekend before Thanksgiving - also expensive points tickets. So WN allows you to change out your companion 3 times over the life of the CP. What are my options if I want to (temporarily) change my CP from child over to wife for our November trip (and then change it back to child before the December trip)? I assume I cannot hold a CP ticket for my child for the December trip while my wife is my companion? I could hold a ticket for my child with points, but I'm trying to avoid that route as it would require me transferring 50k UR points over to WN (though no doubt we'll eventually use them). I could gamble that there will be at least one seat left on the December trip flights or that a (kindly) WN agent would do an override and put our child on the flights with the rest of us.

Just trying to see if there are any strategies that I haven't thought of?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
You should be able to cancel the child's ticket, change your comapanion and add her on both tickets. That should hold the Christmas seat until you switch back after taking the Thanksgiving trip, and you'll only be without that seat for a couple minutes twice. EF isn't tracking WN availability.

mateo9999

Level 2 Member
Thanks Kenny. Other thought I had was to actually buy a fully refundable ticket for child to hold the spot for the Christmas trip. Then cancel it when I change the CP back over to child.