Changes to Level 2, The Exchange and introducing Level 3

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
A quick announcement on some changes that I have implemented on the Forum.

Level 2 Areas
These are invite only areas of The Forum. There is no post requirement, but I need to get a feel for your approach, there are a lot of great people sharing their hard work in these places and its not an all you can eat buffet. I want to see people with the right attitude joining this area.

The Forum is newbie friendly - we all started somewhere. I am not restricting access to people who have X years in the game or earn Y amount per month. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. However, as I attempt to vet people coming through the doors, there will be times that I ask a bit more of you. For example, if you have zero posts, or one saying 'Hi I want to MS' then I might ask that you hang out on Level 1 so I can get a feel for your attitude.

I'm not asking for 50 posts, or a resource to be built, I am asking that you let me see that you care enough about the community to put in a bit of time to share some wisdom. I have granted access to Level 2 based on a single post if I can get that feeling from people, and I have reservations about others that have posted 20 times but aren't really bringing anything to the table.

In short, you are welcome to enter Level 2 as long as you are a decent person who is putting in a little effort. If you want to read the Wikis, I don't want you here.

The Exchange is closed.

This was created to allow people to trade miles and points. I shamelessly got the idea from Flyertalk Coupon Connection, which had shut its doors. However, I have only attempted one trade on Coupon Connection and I felt that I was being abused by the other party - it was a disgraceful offer on their part. It is my feeling that such sub-forum attract too many unsavory characters, and as such I am shutting the doors.

There have been no reports of anything untoward on The Exchange, but it is only a matter of time that a scalper slips through and takes advantage of one of the members here. I have said this before, and will re-iterate, the biggest difference between this forum and a place like Flyertalk is that I care about you guys, and I don't want to see you getting screwed over.

I recommend that you forge relationships instead, and trade with people you trust, hopefully those you have met in person.

Level 3
The first Level 3 area is now open. It focuses on LM. This area is open only by invitation, though you can reply to a thread I started in Level 2 Travel Hacking to be considered. You are more likely to forge friendships than score deals of a lifetime from this area. There will be more Level 3 areas in the future, and they all will be by invite only, and invisible to other users. If you want to start such an area you can PM me to discuss setting it up.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Consider this the first challenge of the discovery team :)

It's in Travel Hacking>flight deals laboratory

Chris

I apparently lost Level 2 status (likely due to a period of inactivity of no new posts). Matt, given that, is there a specific criteria for regaining it besides simply overall contributions?

youpaiyou

Level 2 Member
Matt, you are going to read posts from every member on here to determine his/her status? That's quite an endeavor....

Chris

Certainly, not trying to be difficult. I was just trying to determine what a Level 2 member looks like. Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, you are going to read posts from every member on here to determine his/her status? That's quite an endeavor....
It's not perfect, but yeah, I do. I also reply to a few hundred emails and PMs a day right now.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly, not trying to be difficult. I was just trying to determine what a Level 2 member looks like. Thanks!
It looks like someone who wants to be here. You hadn't posted in 2-3 months, and those posts weren't really offering a ton of value (sorry to be a meany). I'm not one for saying you must write X posts, because people just write filer, I just want people who are active and helping out where they can. I do understand that people have lives, so there will be times of inactivity, but generally speaking I think there should be a feeling of buy in or commitment that I can't see from your posting history.

That doesn't mean that you aren't awesome, and wouldn't be a great addition here, I am just explaining why, based on what you had done, I pulled you out.

I also don't think that being in Level 2 means you have to give up all your own 'secrets' - if there is a person who knows a lot about Bonds for example, and is helping people out in the personal finance section, I see them as being a useful member of the community, and think that there is a quid pro quo knowledge exchange there.

I know some people work better with firm numbers, but I don't want to go that route. If you (anyone) is really stuck understanding this let me know, and I'll just make up a number of posts for you to achieve, and discount any that I feel are filler.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Geez that sounds like a job I used to have. It's very time consuming.
One reason I like the forum is that it is easier to do this than comments on the blog/emails etc. But yes it takes time. It is my goal to answer every question and I think that helps build loyalty and respect around here, but some I miss.

Today I did give a rather short answer to someone asking to be allowed into Level 3.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and for you lovelies who haven't read the 10 posts in this thread and think there is now a Level 3 for MS - read the 10 posts in this thread before asking me to be part of Level 3... it would help your case for admittance to know it doesn't exist.

smittytabb

Staff member
Oh and for you lovelies who haven't read the 10 posts in this thread and think there is now a Level 3 for MS - read the 10 posts in this thread before asking me to be part of Level 3... it would help your case for admittance to know it doesn't exist.
Yeah, that was amusing, sort of. I suggest you put all the people who ask for Level 3 in their own level with no access to anything else and let them try to figure it out then.

Chris

Matt, Thanks for the prompt and cogent reply. I fully agree that any member worth their salt has to contribute. I was traveling quite a bit and with family commitments couldn't do a whole lot. Frankly, I would have booted me out too. I have a legal background and will try to assist with that, whenever possible. Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, Thanks for the prompt and cogent reply. I fully agree that any member worth their salt has to contribute. I was traveling quite a bit and with family commitments couldn't do a whole lot. Frankly, I would have booted me out too. I have a legal background and will try to assist with that, whenever possible. Thanks!
I understand, life takes over - that's why I don't want to pull the 'you need 100 posts, and 10 posts per week thereafter' I think that's daft. In your case, I've learned more about you in this thread than in the rest of your months on the site, so thats good! I take the approach of if we find good people, they have lives too, so lets find a way to identify good people, through a few posts perhaps, and then get them involved in higher level stuff.