Cell phone for overseas

smittytabb

Staff member
Need help for someone who is moving to Chile and needs a smart phone that is inexpensive and can be used with a SIM card there. Any help with specific products or cost cutting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Need to get ASAP in the next week if possible. Thanks!

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Any GSM phone will work just fine I would think - GSM frequency bands are pretty universal. The issue would be what data frequencies the Chile providers use.

I just bought the Moto E 2015 edition -
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-2nd-Generation-Unlocked/dp/B00TFAVFKU
The Global GSM version is $89.99, the US 4G LTE version is $99.99. They both will work on all 4 global GSM bands for voice / data up to 2G speeds (850/900/1800/1900MHZ) and 2 bands for HSPA+ 3G/4G (850/1900MHZ). The Global GSM adds two additional 3g/4G bands (900/2100MHZ) while the US 4G LTE version adds several LTE data frequencies (compatible with T-Mobile / ATT 4G LTE networks).

For me, the US 4G LTE version is the best of all worlds. I get global GSM voice, US 4G LTE service, and global 3G/4G data in most areas with a local SIM card. Best of all, if you're tech savvy, it comes SIM/network unlocked and can be bootloader unlocked / rooted quickly and easily. This will let you install a custom ROM if desired; the stock firmware comes without the usual carrier bloatware.

Hope this helps.

smittytabb

Staff member
Any GSM phone will work just fine I would think - GSM frequency bands are pretty universal. The issue would be what data frequencies the Chile providers use.

I just bought the Moto E 2015 edition -
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-2nd-Generation-Unlocked/dp/B00TFAVFKU
The Global GSM version is $89.99, the US 4G LTE version is $99.99. They both will work on all 4 global GSM bands for voice / data up to 2G speeds (850/900/1800/1900MHZ) and 2 bands for HSPA+ 3G/4G (850/1900MHZ). The Global GSM adds two additional 3g/4G bands (900/2100MHZ) while the US 4G LTE version adds several LTE data frequencies (compatible with T-Mobile / ATT 4G LTE networks).

For me, the US 4G LTE version is the best of all worlds. I get global GSM voice, US 4G LTE service, and global 3G/4G data in most areas with a local SIM card. Best of all, if you're tech savvy, it comes SIM/network unlocked and can be bootloader unlocked / rooted quickly and easily. This will let you install a custom ROM if desired; the stock firmware comes without the usual carrier bloatware.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the lead. This person is decidedly not tech savvy, but needs a phone mostly for use in Chile. Phone ordered...