CC rental CDW claim denied for using Discover cert

tly

Level 2 Member
I used a Discover cert ($20 for $40) for a rental in May along with Sapphire Preferred, and damaged the bumper. Received a repair receipt/quote a few weeks later from National and put in a benefits claim with the CC.
Today I was notified that the claim was rejected because "The entire car rental period was not charged to the covered card". Spoke to a CS rep and was told that they checked with National who told them that the Discover cert "originated from a Discover credit card", which means that I did not pay for the full rental with the CSP. Argued that it was just a discount coupon but they were pretty firm.
Do I have any recourse here with the CC claim? The damage is less than my insurance deductible so I'll be paying it out of pocket otherwise.
Thanks!

smittytabb

Staff member
I used a Discover cert ($20 for $40) for a rental in May along with Sapphire Preferred, and damaged the bumper. Received a repair receipt/quote a few weeks later from National and put in a benefits claim with the CC.
Today I was notified that the claim was rejected because "The entire car rental period was not charged to the covered card". Spoke to a CS rep and was told that they checked with National who told them that the Discover cert "originated from a Discover credit card", which means that I did not pay for the full rental with the CSP. Argued that it was just a discount coupon but they were pretty firm.
Do I have any recourse here with the CC claim? The damage is less than my insurance deductible so I'll be paying it out of pocket otherwise.
Thanks!
Not sure there is any recourse. Of course you can choose to escalate it but I am not optimistic you can get it overturned.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Sorry to hear that. Its a YMMV situation and unfortunately you got unlucky. Its an uphill battle since they do state the entire charge thing.

We need a card that works on partial payment a la CSP for award ticket.

tly

Level 2 Member
That's what I expected... consider this an expensive lesson when using Discover certs, for me saving $20 is not worth losing the CDW coverage.