CC-based primary car insurance on an award rental

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I have an upcoming car rental which I booked using Alamo points. I have to pay $86 in taxes/fees on top of the points. If I pay those fees with a Citi Prestige CC, which offers primary car rental insurance, will I be covered?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
IIRC Prestige only had secondary coverage for domestic rental (unless you have no car insurance) as of about a year ago. Has this changed recently?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
As for whether it'll be covered, I can't say for Prestige since I've never used it for car rental insurance, but for CSP, the T&C is written in a way that is open to interpretation. It says something like: the entire cost of the rental must be charged to the card. It can be strictly interpreted as the original total cost without any coupon/discount, or liberally interpreted as the final cost after coupons and discounts. YMMV.

FWIW I just made a reservation with a coupon. Will argue if it comes to that.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
A bit old but a qualified yes from the blog below. The article is a bit old so check your Citi T&C to be sure.

Code:
https://milecards.com/1588421156/does-credit-card-insurance-coverage-apply-to-free-rental-car-days/

italdesign

Level 2 Member
A lot of cards offer primary insurance outside US. Inside US is very rare. RIP Fairmont visa, sniff sniff.