Catalyst to trip planning–1st Class Award Availability on AA

plane2port

Level 2 Member
In January, I was doing my morning travel blog reading, and happened to read a post by Miles4More–Wide-open award space to Europe, including summer business class seats! (http://saverocity.com/miles4more/europe-aa-miles/). I clicked through and sure enough there was availability to several cities in first class on US Airways with no surcharges!

We had just gotten back from Crete, and the weather was horrendous there, with record-breaking snow and cold. We loved the food, wine, and antiquities there, and we wanted to go back to Greece when it was warmer, but we wanted to go to some different islands. I decided to check for availability to Athens, and yes, there were seats in Envoy class on US Airways to Athens!

aa avail for 1st gcpost.PNG

We only had enough miles for two one-way business-class tickets, but I went ahead and put them on a complimentary 5-day hold while I searched for tickets back from Europe in some other currencies I have. At this point, I didn’t know where we were going once we got to Athens, or from where we were going to leave Europe to come home. Rome? Istanbul? More trip planning to follow…….

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Very nice! What other currencies do you have? Star Alliance makes it pretty easy to fly to and from Europe going through Frankfurt/Munich (Lufthansa), Zurich (Swiss) or Vienna (Austrian). Of the those three, I prefer Lufthansa. I fly into both Athens and Dubrovnik from the US pretty frequently and usually go through one of those gateways.

EDIT: Also Istanbul (Turkish).

Last edited:

plane2port

Level 2 Member
I have BA, United, and Delta miles. I save BA for short domestic hops, and I'm stockpiling Delta for a future aspirational award. I use United for Star Alliance ALOT, in fact I used those miles for our return from Thessaloniki on Aegean to Frankfurt, and from Frankfurt to the US on Lufthansa. I really like Aegean and Lufthansa, even in coach. I'll post on that redemption shortly.

smittytabb

Staff member
In January, I was doing my morning travel blog reading, and happened to read a post by Miles4More–Wide-open award space to Europe, including summer business class seats! (http://saverocity.com/miles4more/europe-aa-miles/). I clicked through and sure enough there was availability to several cities in first class on US Airways with no surcharges!

We had just gotten back from Crete, and the weather was horrendous there, with record-breaking snow and cold. We loved the food, wine, and antiquities there, and we wanted to go back to Greece when it was warmer, but we wanted to go to some different islands. I decided to check for availability to Athens, and yes, there were seats in Envoy class on US Airways to Athens!

View attachment 1507

We only had enough miles for two one-way business-class tickets, but I went ahead and put them on a complimentary 5-day hold while I searched for tickets back from Europe in some other currencies I have. At this point, I didn’t know where we were going once we got to Athens, or from where we were going to leave Europe to come home. Rome? Istanbul? More trip planning to follow…….
Have you got any multiple use currencies like MR, UR, Citi TY or SPG? Turkish has a particularly good coach experience.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I like Turkish Airways and highly recommend Istanbul. Even if you only manage to do a 2-3 day stopover on TK on the way home, it will give you a chance to see the Aya Sofia and Topkapi Palace. Turkey also has a similar coastline to Greece, I have enjoyed my time at some of the resorts there. I want to go back and see some of the cultural/biblical ruins in that area, I was with Turkish friends who wanted a resort vacation. ;)

If you are in Greece, try to pick up 4 cheap paid segments on A3 for me so I can re-qualify for *G. :D

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
I like Turkish Airways and highly recommend Istanbul. Even if you only manage to do a 2-3 day stopover on TK on the way home, it will give you a chance to see the Aya Sofia and Topkapi Palace. Turkey also has a similar coastline to Greece, I have enjoyed my time at some of the resorts there. I want to go back and see some of the cultural/biblical ruins in that area, I was with Turkish friends who wanted a resort vacation. ;)

If you are in Greece, try to pick up 4 cheap paid segments on A3 for me so I can re-qualify for *G. :D
Been to Istanbul four times and it is one of my favorite cities. Would be a good stopover from Greece. Lots to see in Turkey on another visit. Spent a good bit of time there last summer and highly recommend as well.

plane2port

Level 2 Member

Been to Istanbul four times and it is one of my favorite cities. Would be a good stopover from Greece. Lots to see in Turkey on another visit. Spent a good bit of time there last summer and highly recommend as well.
I too love Istanbul. We were there on a cruise ship stop for a couple of days and saw the highlights. Turkey deserves a nice long visit. Another trip!

plane2port

Level 2 Member
Have you got any multiple use currencies like MR, UR, Citi TY or SPG? Turkish has a particularly good coach experience.
It would be great to build up some balances in these multiuse currencies. The only one that I have access to right now are UR through the Ink Bold card. I have been hesitant to keep the points in there because I have been MSing those points and don't want them clawed back. When I amass 60k I transfer to United. Maybe I'll hold off for awhile next time.

I haven't had an AMEX or SPG card in awhile. They've been off my radar because no big sign-up offers, and the lack of bonused spend has turned my focus to other cards.
How are you getting your points in these currencies?

smittytabb

Staff member
It would be great to build up some balances in these multiuse currencies. The only one that I have access to right now are UR through the Ink Bold card. I have been hesitant to keep the points in there because I have been MSing those points and don't want them clawed back. When I amass 60k I transfer to United. Maybe I'll hold off for awhile next time.

I haven't had an AMEX or SPG card in awhile. They've been off my radar because no big sign-up offers, and the lack of bonused spend has turned my focus to other cards.
How are you getting your points in these currencies?
My SPG I am currently using less than before as I have what I need there for now. I have been using the AMEX EveryDay card maxing 6k grocery spend and also gas spend for the usual purchases. I value SPG over MR. Those balances I keep for misc airline transfer.