Capital One Earnings Show Impressive Credit-Card Growth

HTaufReisen

Level 2 Member
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/22/timesensitive-capital-one-earnings-show-impressive(dot)aspx

The credit-card business is booming.
When you look at the performance of Capital One's consumer and commercial banking divisions during the quarter, it's understandable if you're not impressed. In consumer banking, loans were flat, and revenue grew just 1% from a year ago. Commercial banking wasn't much better -- average loans were up 6% year over year, but revenue was flat.
That leaves Capital One's bread and butter -- the credit-card business, which posted some impressive results. Loan balances were up 12% from last year, and generated 10% more revenue. Impressively, noninterest expense increased by just 7%, largely due to increased spending on marketing, which certainly appears to be working.

The company has done a tremendous job of making consumers aware of its cards. After all, who hasn't seen the Samuel L. Jackson commercials promoting the Quicksilver card? {no way} Or how about the many ads promoting the Venture card -- which is actually one of the best all-around credit cards in the market, as I've written before {it depends - $200 cash for hard pull?}

Most of the other banks with substantial credit-card operations saw revenues climb, as well, though not as impressively as Capital One. So why were their results not quite as impressive? Simply put, Capital One's credit-card business makes up a dominant share (63%) of the company's revenue. In contrast, Bank of America has a large credit-card business -- it issued 1.3 million new cards in the third quarter alone -- but the revenue it derives from credit cards makes up roughly 15% of the company's total.

Looking forwardCapital One delivered excellent performance in the quarter by doing what it does best -- offering some of the most attractive credit-card products in the market, and allocating lots of capital to get the word out. The bank is well-positioned to take advantage of any increase in interest rates, as spreads tend to widen when rates rise, and is committed to sustaining its growth going forward.

I would avoid the Quicksilver card but the Spark BIZ with $500 sign-up cash incentive and 2% CB on everything (no questions asked; $59 fee second year) looks good.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
The earnings seem to wow Wall Street -- and much needed boost -- but it's relative; Q2 was disastrous for them (income of $863 million compared to $1.2 billion the same period in Q2 2014; this is what investors didn't like about their Q2 earnings: total net revenue was flat at $5.7 billion while non-interest expenses increased 8 percent to $3.3 billion, attributed to a jump in marketing and operating costs). Stock dropped 10% - erasing gains over 12 month period.

At least they seem to have better handle on non-interest expenses -- on the day following their Q2 earnings: they announced the elimination of ~2000 positions across their domestic card division.

AGtravel

Level 2 Member
great info - thanks for sharing. Recently got Spark for business (the free version) for 250$ cash back for my wife and @Mountainmanduy , it will also go down the car repairs for me as my car got bumped in parking (hit and run) yesterday !!!

Mountainmanduy

Level 2 Member
Yikes, as long as you are safe. Better the car damage than a hospital bill. =(

Mine went to brake pads, new struts, and spark plugs. So the CB covered almost 50% of it.

AGtravel

Level 2 Member
very true, all safe - thanks ! I was happily buying some stuff from the store when this happened in the parking . for me the "deductible" will be covered by the cash back :) I have 250$ deductible....feeling good that I chose the lower number...although waiting on the estimate of the repair right now to see how big the bill is