Cancelling a non-refundable ticket

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Question 1: Could my non-refundable tickets be partially refundable?

I know this is TL;DR but I do hope a few of you take a look, since I need some advice!

Back in April 2015, we booked 2 tickets JFK >> JNB for $607 r/t each. We booked through Expedia and the terms were clear:
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.

Excited by the low fare and the idea of actually going to southern Africa, I did no due diligence on Jet Airways. I figured a partner of Etihad couldn't be that bad. Having flown from the west coast to Israel many, many times in coach, I figured we'd survive. And I feared that if I delayed too much to check it out, the fare would disappear.

Since Feb. was quite far away and I knew there could perhaps be a family-related reason we'd need to cancel, I bought trip cancellation insurance coverage. It refunds 75% for cancellations for any (or no) reason. For medical or work reasons, coverage is provided at 100%.

I soon began to hear "horror stories" about flying Jet Airways in coach. The drawbacks of the outgoing itinerary of JFK >> AUH >> JNB, with a 14 hour overnight layover in AUH, which I'd brushed off back in April, got more problematic. Was it worth clearing customs and getting a hotel, only to have to clear security a few hours later? Alternatively, how miserable would we be spending the night in the airport? Neither option seemed all that good. I began to consider looking for award tickets, but did nothing.

Today, when I saw that SAA was offering $643 nonstop r/t JFK >> JNB tickets, I decided to go for that. We were able to add 3 days to our trip and the prospect of a nonstop on SAA in both directions is significantly more appealing than what we have on Jet, even if it still is coach.

So now I need to cancel the Jet tickets. I will admit that I did consider concocting a free-lance job that I "must" take to be able to get the 100% refund, but that doesn't really sit well with me. So I looked at the Penalty and Cancellation Rules (via Expedia since I booked the original tickets there) which - no surprise - start out this way:

Please note that the most restrictive set of rules below applies to your entire itinerary.

To: Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB-All Airports)

Fare Basis Code: H2LACBA6

Not one to be deterred, I read on and under the Penalties Section, I found this buried in the terms:

CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 450.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.

Here's the context:

(16)PE.PENALTIES

CHANGES ANY TIME CHARGE USD 200.00. NOTE - ABOVE CHARGE APPLIES TO FLIGHT/DATE CHANGE. ---------- REROUTING - ONLY INVOLUNTARY REROUTING PERMITTED. ---------- INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. CHARGE USD 200.00 FOR NO-SHOW. NOTE - INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 450.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND. NOTE - INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. ----------TICKETS ISSUED 7 DAYS OR MORE PRIOR TO FLIGHTS SCHEDULED DEPARTURE CAN BE CANCELLED/REFUNDED WITHOUT PENALTY UP TO 24 HOURS AFTER A TICKET IS ISSUED. AFTER DEPARTURE TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/REFUND. NOTE - FOR REFUND- ON SECTORS WHERE FIRST CLASS/PREMIERE SERVICE IS NOT OFFERED/AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF TICKETING PASSENGERS MAY BE BOOKED IN THE NEXT LOWER CABIN. NO REFUND WILL BE PERMITTED FOR CLASS DIFFERENCE IN SUCH CASES. ---------- yada, yada, yada....

Now could that mean that these nonrefundable, nontransferable tickets are actually refundable after a penalty of $450 each ticket? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Or perhaps they give a credit on Jet of $607 - $450? I will call Jet but before I do, I'd love some guidance on exactly what if anything we should get upon cancelling.

Question 2: Best timing to cancel?

My thought is to find out what if anything we'd get upon cancellation, and then to wait until the last minute to do the cancellation.

While I certainly hope there is neither a work or illness reason that pops up in the next two months, forcing us to cancel, if that did happen, we'd get a better refund than just cancelling it right now.

Alternatively, with two months to go before departure, Jet could make a schedule change that we would find unacceptable, or even cancel the flight, or the weather could cause a cancellation.

So there seems no gain in doing anything right now. Would you agree?

Thanks for reading this far! If you have any advice/experience/ thoughts on the best way to handle this, I will be most appreciative! Thanks again!

Last edited:

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I believe that if there is a big enough schedule change (or you can make them believe that any schedule change is big enough to cause problems for you) you can get them to cancel without penalty. However, having never booked via Expedia I can't be 100% sure of this (though there are anecdotal data on the interwebz where people claim to have done this successfully).

smittytabb

Staff member
Question 1: Could my non-refundable tickets be partially refundable?

I know this is TL;DR but I do hope a few of you take a look, since I need some advice!

Back in April 2015, we booked 2 tickets JFK >> JNB for $607 r/t each. We booked through Expedia and the terms were clear:
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.

Excited by the low fare and the idea of actually going to southern Africa, I did no due diligence on Jet Airways. I figured a partner of Etihad couldn't be that bad. Having flown from the west coast to Israel many, many times in coach, I figured we'd survive. And I feared that if I delayed too much to check it out, the fare would disappear.

Since Feb. was quite far away and I knew there could perhaps be a family-related reason we'd need to cancel, I bought trip cancellation insurance coverage. It refunds 75% for cancellations for any (or no) reason. For medical or work reasons, coverage is provided at 100%.

I soon began to hear "horror stories" about flying Jet Airways in coach. The drawbacks of the outgoing itinerary of JFK >> AUH >> JNB, with a 14 hour overnight layover in AUH, which I'd brushed off back in April, got more problematic. Was it worth clearing customs and getting a hotel, only to have to clear security a few hours later? Alternatively, how miserable would we be spending the night in the airport? Neither option seemed all that good. I began to consider looking for award tickets, but did nothing.

Today, when I saw that SAA was offering $643 nonstop r/t JFK >> JNB tickets, I decided to go for that. We were able to add 3 days to our trip and the prospect of a nonstop on SAA in both directions is significantly more appealing than what we have on Jet, even if it still is coach.

So now I need to cancel the Jet tickets. I will admit that I did consider concocting a free-lance job that I "must" take to be able to get the 100% refund, but that doesn't really sit well with me. So I looked at the Penalty and Cancellation Rules (via Expedia since I booked the original tickets there) which - no surprise - start out this way:

Please note that the most restrictive set of rules below applies to your entire itinerary.

To: Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB-All Airports)

Fare Basis Code: H2LACBA6

Not one to be deterred, I read on and under the Penalties Section, I found this buried in the terms:

CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 450.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.

Here's the context:

(16)PE.PENALTIES

CHANGES ANY TIME CHARGE USD 200.00. NOTE - ABOVE CHARGE APPLIES TO FLIGHT/DATE CHANGE. ---------- REROUTING - ONLY INVOLUNTARY REROUTING PERMITTED. ---------- INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. CHARGE USD 200.00 FOR NO-SHOW. NOTE - INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 450.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND. NOTE - INCASE OF COMBINATIONS BETWEEN MULTIPLE FARES THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS WILL BE APPLICABLE FOR THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT. ----------TICKETS ISSUED 7 DAYS OR MORE PRIOR TO FLIGHTS SCHEDULED DEPARTURE CAN BE CANCELLED/REFUNDED WITHOUT PENALTY UP TO 24 HOURS AFTER A TICKET IS ISSUED. AFTER DEPARTURE TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/REFUND. NOTE - FOR REFUND- ON SECTORS WHERE FIRST CLASS/PREMIERE SERVICE IS NOT OFFERED/AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF TICKETING PASSENGERS MAY BE BOOKED IN THE NEXT LOWER CABIN. NO REFUND WILL BE PERMITTED FOR CLASS DIFFERENCE IN SUCH CASES. ---------- yada, yada, yada....

Now could that mean that these nonrefundable, nontransferable tickets are actually refundable after a penalty of $450 each ticket? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Or perhaps they give a credit on Jet of $607 - $450? I will call Jet but before I do, I'd love some guidance on exactly what if anything we should get upon cancelling.

Question 2: Best timing to cancel?

My thought is to find out what if anything we'd get upon cancellation, and then to wait until the last minute to do the cancellation.

While I certainly hope there is neither a work or illness reason that pops up in the next two months, forcing us to cancel, if that did happen, we'd get a better refund than just cancelling it right now.

Alternatively, with two months to go before departure, Jet could make a schedule change that we would find unacceptable, or even cancel the flight, or the weather could cause a cancellation.

So there seems no gain in doing anything right now. Would you agree?

Thanks for reading this far! If you have any advice/experience/ thoughts on the best way to handle this, I will be most appreciative! Thanks again!
I would agree. I would also agree that your new itinerary is far preferable to your old one. I have flown Jet Airways in coach from Hyderabad to New Delhi and I survived. Nothing terribly memorable good or bad. I would hold on and verify any schedule changes, and play it by ear before canceling hedging your bets. I suspect you will get all but $450 back otherwise. I usually book directly with airlines and have cancelled my share of nonrefundable flights, so you will not forfeit all for sure.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Good news! I ran the gauntlet with Expedia today - long holds, dropped calls, inept CSRs, etc. - but maybe it was for the best since on the third attempt I demanded a supervisor, who was able to get us a full refund of the price we paid on the Jet tickets.

The latest schedule change of 50 minutes was less than their stated 2 hour time frame for cancellations with no fee, but the supervisor called and got it done. And can't help but think that she knew I was unhappy with their service and so spoke forcefully enough to someone at Jet to get it approved. I won't ever know for sure, but I am awfully happy we'll save the $450 each cancellation fee!

The travel insurance we have would have covered 75% of that fee, but with this full refund, I needn't use the coverage, which would terminate the policy - meaning I'd need new insurance for the rest of the trip.

I now need to review exactly what we currently need in terms of insurance and give MH Ross Travel Insurance Services a call.