Canceled flight segment - options?

DanT

Level 2 Member
I got in on the BA business class sale in Oct and booked a flight in business class to MAD connecting through PHL but now BA(or AA) decided to cancel the connecting flight from home to PHL. There are inexplicably no other flights they say they can put me on to PHL at least in business class. I would be fine with economy but the guy claims they cant put me in economy for that segment because we bought business class tickets. I offered to connect through Charlotte which would put me on the exact same type of aircraft but he said it was too far compared to going to PHL. He wouldn't disclose how far a change in the connecting airport can be for "security" reasons(really??). So now I am supposed to wait for them to try and reassign me. Does anyone know what their obligations are in this type of situation? I do not want to cancel the tickets as I got to good of a price. I'd sooner drive to Philly.

DanT

Level 2 Member
Nevermind. I got a chance to do a little research. Looks like they can do pretty much whatever they want and my only recourse would be a refund.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
While they can do whatever they want, you need to play agent roulette and try again. Another agent may want to help. It sounds like the first didn't. Offering to go in economy seems like an easy fix. If nothing else, look at the cost of positioning to PHL, and see if they will just cancel that leg and keep the rest.