Can you use miles for premium economy?

dlin

Level 2 Member
I would like to book premium economy seats using miles. I know that you can use Alaska miles to do so on Cathay and Qantas. Are there other options? I have miles in all the typical places (TY, UR, MR, AA, UA, Delta, Alaska)

dukerau

Level 2 Member
The major US-based airlines don't have the option, but several international programs do. For oneworld, BA and CX both have premium economy awards. Outside that, Alitalia has premium economy awards but only on Alitalia metal I believe. Virgin Atlantic has premium economy awards, but you'll face fuel surcharges.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If Husband's trip from FCO to BOS was any indication, premium economy on Alitalia is not worth it. The seats are nicer, but the food is terrible, and an amenity kit and a little more leg room hardly seem worth an extra $400 one way. If the service were better than in coach, that might help. But unlike many premium economy products, where the food service is similar to biz, on Alitalia it's the same as coach, you just eat first.

The good news was that $250 of it was paid by Citi, for his yearly airline fee credit.