Can We Stop with the Dumb Abbreviations

EvanT80

Level 2 Member
Hey Guys,

Considering this isn't Flyer Talk where you need a primer on what Kate or VGC are can we all try and not talk in these silly terms?

Half of the threads are people asking what these terms mean. Considering this is a closed group, lets try and be adults and not talk in Parseltongue.

Thanks,

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I hear you - but I think many people writing quickly are used to it. If you wanted to start up a post/thread to explain what they mean that would be helpful :)

MarkyMark

Level 2 Member
Hey Guys,

Considering this isn't Flyer Talk where you need a primer on what Kate or VGC are can we all try and not talk in these silly terms?

Half of the threads are people asking what these terms mean. Considering this is a closed group, lets try and be adults and not talk in Parseltongue.

Thanks,
I'll be more than happy to put something together and send it to Matt. I can see where someone might not know what Kate means, but VGC and similar abbreviations and acronyms.. Seriously? If there are members posting questions like that in level 2 or more restricted areas, Maybe they should lose their advanced access. Its not like people are talking in code. No one is saying 'beans' or other such nonsense.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah actually I think I would rather keep it as is. If someone doesn't get it they can ask for help, and then we know that person needs a little more mentoring.

The difference is that we wouldn't use it to exclude, but it would be a filter and we could help people who don't "get it".

Thoughts?

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I concur, I'm sure there are some people "monitoring" this forum as well, don't want to make it too easy

MarkyMark

Level 2 Member
So how about a Q&A topic for each section. Where you say, Welcome to Level 2, Exchange, or the Magic Door; add "if you have questions on the terminology commonly used in this section, use the Q&A to get answers. This would also be a great way to identify those that need a little more mentoring and keep track of their progress.

I think members that ask basic knowledge questions and get answers in the middle of the thread, interrupts the flow of that thread.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So how about a Q&A topic for each section. Where you say, Welcome to Level 2, Exchange, or the Magic Door; add "if you have questions on the terminology commonly used in this section, use the Q&A to get answers. This would also be a great way to identify those that need a little more mentoring and keep track of their progress.

I think members that ask basic knowledge questions and get answers in the middle of the thread, interrupts the flow of that thread.
That could work. Let's see...

Matchmee

Level 2 Member
Did anyone ever start a thread on all of the abbreviations? Some of them are obvious, but over the past month while trying to understand all of this I admit it was really frustrating to figure out what the crap everyone was saying. It would be nice if in the new welcome place maybe there was a sheet of short hands for people.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I think things are fine the way they are. If anyone has a question about what an abbreviation means, just ask and someone will fill them in.

SayainStar

Level 2 Member
I do like the abbreviations but I juggle so many in my head that I make noobish mistakes when reading and just get lost. I am fine to keep them but so long as it's ok to ask "what does this mean?" since sometimes the context of the sentence isn't enough.

Maybe a thought to create a page/post that is devoted only to abbreviations. I know Flyertalk (FT) does this and it is helpful. Thoughts?

TheBOSman

Staff member
I still don't know what Kate is.

and, is that a requirement to get into level 3?
Kate is a nickname for the Moneycenter Express kiosk found at some Walmarts which sells money orders and loads to Bluebird and other such features normally restricted to the service or Moneycenter desks.

Katstarr

Level 2 Member
Kate is a nickname for the Moneycenter Express kiosk found at some Walmarts which sells money orders and loads to Bluebird and other such features normally restricted to the service or Moneycenter desks.
Thanks BOSman! (always admired your knowledge and posts on FT). I always knew the kiosk but never knew it had a first name. I just called it (&**(^%$%%$##!!@@#$$% For the record, the WM in Westbury, New York does not have a Kate.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
There is an extensive list of abbreviations/acronyms as a resource at TravelCodex, not to mention over at FT.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15

Why don't we just add Wikis to the threads, that should help, right? :(

PainCorp

There really needs to be a sarcasm font. People start to think I'm stupid because sarcasm is my default response.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I was being sarcastic about needing wikis.

Now that we have that out of the way, long time no see. :D
I actually knew it was sarcasm and sarcastically responded with a straight answer. Massholes are that way :D. I know you know your stuff, no worries there.

PainCorp

I actually knew it was sarcasm and sarcastically responded with a straight answer. Massholes are that way :D. I know you know your stuff, no worries there.
I've been up since 130am pacific, gotta blow off some steam and amuse myself somehow. Gotta be up in 5 hours for work to do it all again. Sadly the FT mods don't enjoy sarcasm. Luckily the users here seem to be more adept at understanding.

SuperK

Level 2 Member
Thanks BOSman! (always admired your knowledge and posts on FT). I always knew the kiosk but never knew it had a first name. I just called it (&**(^%$%%$##!!@@#$$% For the record, the WM in Westbury, New York does not have a Kate.
I have found it pretty helpful to use Walmart's website to see if a specific store has a Kate available. Most of the newer stores in my area do but none of the older stores. Use this link: http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter then search the zip code and look for Walmart Money Center Express in the listing for the store.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
I have found it pretty helpful to use Walmart's website to see if a specific store has a Kate available. Most of the newer stores in my area do but none of the older stores. Use this link: http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter then search the zip code and look for Walmart Money Center Express in the listing for the store.
I would take this link with a grain of salt.
One of my stores say they have it... But they don't.

Katstarr

Level 2 Member
dumb question - but I don't live near a WM so don't go as regularly as many of you - what's the benefit to having the kiosk?

TheBOSman

Staff member
I would take this link with a grain of salt.
One of my stores say they have it... But they don't.
That doesn't work. Best way to do it is to go to the Moneypass ATM website. Search ATMs, specify Walmart as the location, put in your desired search address/zip code/whatever, and the results will flow in.