Can I increase the odds of a retention offer on a Chase United Explorer Card?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I am aware that some folks are offered a $100 retention offer when the time comes to pay the $95 fee in year two. I was offered no retention offer on my United Explorer. Moreover, the rep said "we don't do that" so I was actually surprised to learn that some folks have had success. But I had virtually no spend on it - maybe the tax on one ticket - beyond the minimum. I did HUCA but cancelled eventually.

My husband's fee will hit in November so I am wondering if I should try to put some spend on the card in hopes of getting a retention bonus for him. I like the idea of keeping an Explorer since it opens up more award space, but cringe at paying $95 for that.

Any hints on what kind of spend I can do at this late date that might encourage an offer?

If not, is the fact that the card offers more award space enough of a reason to keep the card? We did actually use that benefit once but that does not necessarily mean we'd use it again as the circumstances were unusual.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Cheers!

smittytabb

Staff member
I am aware that some folks are offered a $100 retention offer when the time comes to pay the $95 fee in year two. I was offered no retention offer on my United Explorer. Moreover, the rep said "we don't do that" so I was actually surprised to learn that some folks have had success. But I had virtually no spend on it - maybe the tax on one ticket - beyond the minimum. I did HUCA but cancelled eventually.

My husband's fee will hit in November so I am wondering if I should try to put some spend on the card in hopes of getting a retention bonus for him. I like the idea of keeping an Explorer since it opens up more award space, but cringe at paying $95 for that.

Any hints on what kind of spend I can do at this late date that might encourage an offer?

If not, is the fact that the card offers more award space enough of a reason to keep the card? We did actually use that benefit once but that does not necessarily mean we'd use it again as the circumstances were unusual.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions. Cheers!
I spent over 25K on mine last year. The only thing they would offer me was 4K miles which I took because I wasn't sure I was ready to cancel given that you can get 10K miles for over 25K spend each year. I am just not using it much after the big miles devaluation but I was pretty surprised they didn't offer me more, given the spend I had on it.