Can chase do an additional hard pull 3 weeks after I applied?

Jasonchen

Level 2 Member
Applied INK 01/30, received a decline yesterday, called the recon, still declined for to many new accounts opened last year ( since when 9 is a lot for them before 5/24), and too many open credit line ( this is my fault,but they don't approve even if I lowed my personal line with them)
Anyone have strategy dealing with this? should I call the recon again?
at least this time they did not grill about my business
What is more interesting is that they did a hard pull 02/22, Can they do that without consent 3 weeks after I submitted my application. I know they can do when you submit the application, but 3 weeks later, is that legal?

MrMike

Level 2 Member
It wasn't without consent. You applied for credit with them and they were reviewing your application.

You can try calling the bureau and explaining both inquiries were for the same app and see if they will merge them. Some people have had success doing that with AMEX pulls. Or you can call Chase to complain and try to get them to have the 2nd pull removed, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

Arnold

Level 2 Member
Call up the credit bureau, tell them you applied for a card and your credit was pulled twice, and ask them to remove one. They should do it no problem. I've done it numerous times. If they tell you to contact the bank, politely thank them for their assistance, hang up, and call again. For the record, credit pulls are overrated.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
For the record, credit pulls are overrated.
As in, "we pay more attention to them than banks do," or as in "Banks pay more attention to them than they should," or do you mean that they have low impact on your total credit score?

Personally, I am on some sort of shit list with Citi where they deny me for 'too many recent applications." For some reason they are the only company who has ever denied me for that reason.

Arnold

Level 2 Member
As in "We pay more attention to them than banks or FICO does". They have a minimal impact on your score, and minimal impact on approvals. Banks do use them as a generic excuse for denials, but it's never the real reason. Getting two new accounts and one inquiry is more harmful to your approval chances than one account and two inquiries is. Don't sweat the pulls too much. That isn't too say that they're meaningless, and I would definitely call Experian to get the second pull removed (it should be a quick and painless phone call). I'm just saying that they're not such a big deal, and definitely not worth making too much of a fuss about and possibly getting into an argument with the bank. Don't think that it'll kill your approval chances for other credit cards.