Can anyone recommend a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem they like?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Comcast really wants me to upgrade my modem and they are right! We've always rented one from them, thinking that repairs are easier because we can just swap it out at their office and the tech support cannot dump a problem back in our laps ("Must be your modem!")

But at $10/month, I think we'll give it a whirl by buying a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem of our own.

There's list of modems at:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

UPDATE:

Both if the following like the Arris Motorola SB6141 Surfboard:

http://cable-modem-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-cable-modem-is-the-motorola-sb6141/

If you have this one, are you satisified?

Last edited:

dshah9380

Level 2 Member
Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N Router is what I am using since Comcast raised modem rental in my area- (circa 2012). Using this Modem/Router combo and am pleased with it. I haven't experienced any connection drops and has survived severe voltage fluctuations with Hurricane Sandy, Earthquake and other events.

Recommend it if you want to go $100 Price point.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
They say you can turn them off, but while I was able to turn it off a few months ago at home, I couldn't turn it off recently for a friend. The setting just wasn't there.
That's what I saw when I read up on it. Supposed to be able to turn it off but that doesn't always work. So....do you make house calls to the PNW ;) ?!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I have the SB6121 - been happy with that. The SB6141 is the better model for $20 more... based on the speeds I get with TW, the SB6141 wasn't worth the extra $$.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Thanks, everyone! I picked up the SB6141 at BestBuy, using the $40 BestBuy rewards I had accumulated during the BB Amex Offers promo. Final cost: $49.99.

We have yet to install it but I am happy to have it in hand. Thanks again.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Just wanted to update the thread. The modem did indeed work fine, but it is not the one we actually needed! Apparently - according to Arris Tech Support - because we also get our phone service thru Comcast, we need the TG862!

I am pretty irritated that Comcast - they clearly know we get phone service through them - did not specify that not all the modems on their approved list would work for us.

Their roll-out of the new modems they have been suggesting for months was apparently filled with mishaps. Months ago, I requested on the website as I was instructed, a replacement modem. It did not come. I requested it again, and again, no modem. I finally called and was told that website requests do not go through (!) and one has to request the new modem by phone. Are they kidding?! So I did so, and it came, and then I began looking to buy instead of rent one.

When we tried to set it up, we quickly saw that the modem we bought was missing a plug-in for our phone line. A quick call to Arris confirmed we needed a different model. So we decided to install the one Comcast sent. That eventually worked, but it required four calls to Comcast technicians. The folks who activate the modem do not handle wireless wifi, and the wireless wifi gurus don't activate phone lines, and the phone line guy put us on hold after which a totally new phone gal started the phone issue all over again. I think I know my account number by heart by now because everyone asked for it!

As I started researching the TG862, I saw that the Comcast rental model number is - you guessed it - TG862G/CT.

Now the simplest solution would be to return the Arris SB6141 to BestBuy and buy the one Comcast is renting us. Ideally I'd love to just pay Comcast for the one we managed to install today, but I have a feeling we'll have to buy one elsewhere and then go through all the various activations again. Sigh.

Well, I'd be a lot more frustrated if it was still not up and running, but it is working - and faster than before.

Now to price the TG862....