Cambodia/ Northern Thailand

papa

Level 2 Member
My wife and I will be spending time in Cambodia and northern Thailand. We would love some tips. We are spending a few days at Angkor, but after that, we are open. We generally like outdoorsy things - hiking, mountains, random adventures, and local culture, as opposed to big city stuff. Any tips you have would be great.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I spent a few days around Angkor/Siem Reap. The first 2 days I was able to see all the major temples and ruins in the area. On the 3rd day I went to some a bit more out of town as well as some little villages.

I hired a driver/guide named Chhen Kol who was very good.

Hotels seemed to be very cheap, but if you're wanting to use some points the Le Meridien Angkor is a SPG cat 2 and the Park Hyatt Siem Reap is a cat 4.

papa

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the tips. We have three nights booked at the Park Hyatt.

Has anyone gotten around the area on bikes? I'm having a hard time understanding just how big the area is when I hear about getting driven around. I assumed we would be on foot or maybe bikes... but it sounds like Angkor is pretty freaking huge.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I didn't try biking but did see this on wikitravel:

Bicycles are a very convenient option to visit Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, the little circuit or even the big circuit - depending on time you have and how big fan of Khmer temples you are. Renting a bike in Siem Reap is easy and cheap (USD1 per day, in most of places you don't even have to leave passport, locks for bikes are provided, check the bike before and ask for some amendments if needed, eg, pumping air, oiling the chain). It is about 6km from the city to Angkor Wat (if you go first time, make sure you go by the Visitors Centre which is the only place where you can buy passes). In the little circuit most places are at most 15 minutes away from each other by bike, so it is actually not a problem for a regular tourist (without much biking experience) to visit Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and spots on the little circuit in one day. If you are willing to get up early and start your trip 06:00 (it is not uncommon to see a bike rentals open from 04:30) it won't be a problem to visit all above plus the big circuit (where spots are 30 minutes away each other by bike) in one day. Take into account your shape and visiting preferences. If you bike a lot at home - you can easily get around much quicker. If you enjoy Khmer architecture more than the regular Angkor visitor, it is recommended you reserve at least 3 days for the trip (and it doesn't matter if you go by tuk-tuk or by bike). It is a good idea to take a lot of water with you (rent a bike with a basket!), but not a big problem if you run out of it during your trip. Around every temple in Angkor park you can buy some food and drinks (it's just more expensive than in the city, around US$2 per big bottle of water in the Park). Cycling in Angkor Park is safe (traffic is low), pleasant (nice views and a lot of trees providing shadows in sunny days) and, last but not least, it saves you a lot of hassle of dealing with tuk-tuk drivers.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
The Park Hyatt is located on a somewhat busy road with lots of inexpensive restaurant options, once you leave the hotel. The first bakery you get to is still sort of attached to the hotel, but not outrageous prices for a small breakfast. A couple businesses down was a massage shop, that if I remember correctly was $6 an hour for a foot/leg massage and maybe $5 for a mani/pedi.

Rick351714

Level 2 Member
The SPG Angkor property is great for seeing Angkor as it is the closest hotel to the ruins, but also the furthest away from "downtown" Siem Reap. The Hyatt will place your in the center of town, but now further away from the ruins. I really liked the location of the SPG property because getting up at 5am to see Angkor is difficult, but its really the main reason you are arriving in Siem Reap. And you can get rates as low at 2k per night. Make sure you decline the housekeeping service for extra points returned to you.

I guess it all depends on if you want close to downtown or quite and closest to the ruins

papa

Level 2 Member
The SPG Angkor property is great for seeing Angkor as it is the closest hotel to the ruins, but also the furthest away from "downtown" Siem Reap. The Hyatt will place your in the center of town, but now further away from the ruins. I really liked the location of the SPG property because getting up at 5am to see Angkor is difficult, but its really the main reason you are arriving in Siem Reap. And you can get rates as low at 2k per night. Make sure you decline the housekeeping service for extra points returned to you.

I guess it all depends on if you want close to downtown or quite and closest to the ruins
Great tip. We are now back from our trip, but I saw the Le Meridien... literally right next to the ruins. It is a great location. We had an annual free night to use, so we couldn't pass up the Park Hyatt. We were not disappointed. It's a great property.

Ted Nguyen

Level 2 Member
You should check out Chiangmai if you like outdoorsy stuff. I was there 3 summers ago and there were a lot of outdoor things to do around Chiangmai. The limestone waterfall is a treat. Hanging out with elephants (do choose an ethical camp) is a tad expensive but can be very fun too. Doi Inthanon (the highest peak in Thailand) is also accessible by bike/tuk tuk and has very nice pagodas about halfway to the top (the peak itself is a bit underwhelming or maybe it was just too foggy when we went).
I also biked at Angkor Wat and it was really easy (albeit quite tiring). Remember to not wear tank tops or short skirts because they are not allowed in certain temples (I had to buy a t-shirt to put over my tanktop in order to get into them). Let me know if you have more questions!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Hi -

Visiting Angkor this December. Not a biker, so plan to visit the usual way. I will be there for 2.5 days.

- Would that be good enough to visit the temples?
- Will there be a jetlag on day 1 after 24 hours of flight travel?
- Any recommendations for hiring drivers/guide?

I will be staying at Le Meridian.

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
Hi -

Visiting Angkor this December. Not a biker, so plan to visit the usual way. I will be there for 2.5 days.

Stayed at Le Meridian when I went last year, hotel is a steal at 3k SPG/night, but would probably stay at Park Hyatt for the location/diamond/nicer.

We also did 2.5 days, thats about right IMO for a quick trip, maybe 3 nights, but couldn't do a week.

You can organize driver/guides through the Le Meridien, around $100 I think, but that'll usually include driver and a separate guide, take care of entry passes, etc. That's what we did for convenience.

If I went back I would just hire a tuk tuk to drive us there, it's literally only $1-$2 to go anywhere in a tuk tuk, and just look around by yourself.

Downtown Siem Reap is basically dead during the day while everyone is at the temples, but very lively at night.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Stayed at Le Meridian when I went last year, hotel is a steal at 3k SPG/night, but would probably stay at Park Hyatt for the location/diamond/nicer.

We also did 2.5 days, thats about right IMO for a quick trip, maybe 3 nights, but couldn't do a week.

You can organize driver/guides through the Le Meridien, around $100 I think, but that'll usually include driver and a separate guide, take care of entry passes, etc. That's what we did for convenience.

If I went back I would just hire a tuk tuk to drive us there, it's literally only $1-$2 to go anywhere in a tuk tuk, and just look around by yourself.

Downtown Siem Reap is basically dead during the day while everyone is at the temples, but very lively at night.
Thanks! I will probably take a tuk tuk then. Will there be tuk tuks early in the morning for the sunrise event? Also, did you have to carry local currency cash?

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I will probably take a tuk tuk then. Will there be tuk tuks early in the morning for the sunrise event? Also, did you have to carry local currency cash?
Yes, everyone goes at sunrise. Tuk Tuks are literally everywhere. They're all begging for your $1 or $2 trip. The hotel will call one for you if they're not parked outside already.

Local currency is USD:) But everyone in Cambodia is very particular about the condition of the bills, not kidding. Make sure your money is pristine and untorn, they're very weird about it. Apparently they can't deposit torn currency so they have to exchange torn money on the black market at a discount.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Yes, everyone goes at sunrise. Tuk Tuks are literally everywhere. They're all begging for your $1 or $2 trip. The hotel will call one for you if they're not parked outside already.

Local currency is USD:) But everyone in Cambodia is very particular about the condition of the bills, not kidding. Make sure your money is pristine and untorn, they're very weird about it. Apparently they can't deposit torn currency so they have to exchange torn money on the black market at a discount.
Got it! I will keep few gently used dollar bills with me in this trip.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member

One more thing....not sure relevant though. What arrangement did you have about using cell phone for your stay? Did you manage with wifi alone or did you get a new sim card?

I have an unlocked ATT phone that I want to use, but don't know how yet....

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We are going to Siem Reap in November staying 4 nights. We have plans to visit Preah Vihear which I understand will be a really long day. That leaves us 2.5 days for rest of area.

Heading to Chiang Mai from there.

Good tips on money. Am also interested in SIM card advice. IPhone6 w Verizon.

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
One more thing....not sure relevant though. What arrangement did you have about using cell phone for your stay? Did you manage with wifi alone or did you get a new sim card?

I have an unlocked ATT phone that I want to use, but don't know how yet....
Yeah we just used wifi, verizon charges an outrageous amount for data in Cambodia. Didn't really need data though, we were basically either at a temple, downtown, or at the hotel.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Got it! I will keep few gently used dollar bills with me in this trip.
Since Christmas is coming soon, your bank will soon be able to order "new" money for gifting. Every year, I order a few packs of new $1, $2 (yes, they still are available) and some new $100. When you pick them up from the bank, tell them that you accept the banding and to please not run them through the counter to avoid marks or bending.

Carry the expected need flat in an envelope to avoid bends. The $2 bills are prized by many but not accepted by some since they don't think they are real. I find that $2 bills help get me remembered.

I try to order a years supply since Christmas is the only time new money can be ordered.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Good tips on money. Am also interested in SIM card advice. IPhone6 w Verizon.
If you have a friend with Google Fi, see if they will order a data only sim for you. Google doesn't charge for the sim and only charges $10/gb for foreign data use. I use an Fi sim in a huawei $170 e5770 mifi as a hotspot to make wifi calls or data use when regular wifi isn't available. Other unlocked mifi should work but I got the e5770 for the large battery capacity and Ethernet port. The $10/gb rate is good in 135 countries. Just repay your friend for data used.

I haven't used in Cambodia but this combo works great in Indonesia, Singapore and Korea.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
If you have a friend with Google Fi, see if they will order a data only sim for you. Google doesn't charge for the sim and only charges $10/gb for foreign data use. I use an Fi sim in a huawei $170 e5770 mifi as a hotspot to make wifi calls or data use when regular wifi isn't available. Other unlocked mifi should work but I got the e5770 for the large battery capacity and Ethernet port. The $10/gb rate is good in 135 countries. Just repay your friend for data used.

I haven't used in Cambodia but this combo works great in Indonesia, Singapore and Korea.
Thank you!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Tried to apply for eVisa for Cambodia today just to see what it entailed. The system kept locking up after the first page, so I sent an email. This was my response this evening:

Dear. Sir/Madam,

Greeting From Cambodia’s e-Visa Office,

We are sorry please to inform you that our system got error with some country and some zone, so if it difficult for you to apply e-Visa Could you please send us your passport copy, include (port of entrance and entry date), we will apply for you.

Once again, thank you for your kind cooperation and support our e-Visa service of the Kingdom of Cambodia.

Best regards,

Aey Oudom (Mr.)
e-Visa Customer Support Team,

I will be applying at the Siem Reap airport!

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I will be applying at the Siem Reap airport!
You might try using a VPN to put your IP in a foreign country like Singapore to see if that helps the e-visa. Most VPN services offer a month free trial.

I REALLY prefer getting my visas in advance even if it costs a bit extra and is a bit of a bother for my peace of mind but I am a worrier.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
What's wrong to get visa on arrival? You pay $30 and should be good. No?
Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes doing it ahead can save you from standing in another line upon arrival. In India we stood in line anyway. In Nepal we breezed right through with paperwork already done. Depends on the country.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
What's wrong to get visa on arrival? You pay $30 and should be good. No?
While there is nothing wrong with Visa on arrival (VOA), the risk of failure at entry can result in entry denial or a demand for additional fees (bribes).

Below is a blog post of the current Vietnam visa status.

Code:
https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/11/vietnam-re-instates-cheaper-single-entry-tourist-visas-for-us-citizens/

DornierDo28

Hi -

1. It's possible to rush and see a small amount in one day. I'd want three full days really and you could easily explore some of the less-touristy and more interesting places over a week.
2. That depends on you. I don't but some people are big whiners.
3. I would recommend against doing this but if you must, ask for local recommendations as per.