CA to OGG

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I want to book a trip to OGG for about 10 days, starting April 19 and am a bit flexible. Home airport preferences:
1) STS (Sonoma County) via AS to SAN/LA to OGG
2) STS via AS to PDX/SEA
3) SFO to OGG-- our trip to SFO adds 3-4 hours to the trio so I'm willing to pay a bit more for STS but the downside there is a 6:30 am flight and the couple times I've tried I've been told this flight is not bookable with Avios

We want to fly F, maybe cash since miles seem to be very pricey-- as far as I can figure LA to OGG Avios is 37,500 since it's only 2 class? (STS to LA, just one class) I've been fiddling around with this for a couple days, have seen a HA flight but I don't believe that's bookable w/Avios.

Just saw an AS 2467 6:30 am, AA 271 in F for $1029, that hasn't shown up before. In the next year probably at least 6-8 months out hope to go to Costa Rica and then in 12-14 months Europe. Should I hoard my miles??
Me: AA 256K, US Air 42K, UA 85K, Virgin 4700
Him: AA 137K, US Air 40K, UA
Probably another 50-65K in UR, MR and Avios (I know, I know)

Ideas? seems like it prolly needs to be cash?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
The short notice for the trip to HI makes using miles less doable. Do you have A+ to spend for cost of the tix? Even if only some, you have the 120 (?) days to use the credits, and can MS like a crazy person before you leave for a boost.

Do you have hotel points for the stay, or will A+ come to the rescue for that, too?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
The short notice for the trip to HI makes using miles less doable. Do you have A+ to spend for cost of the tix? Even if only some, you have the 120 (?) days to use the credits, and can MS like a crazy person before you leave for a boost.

Do you have hotel points for the stay, or will A+ come to the rescue for that, too?
One thing I don't do is hoard my A+ so not much there-- not for tix, not for hotel. We only have Carlson and IHG and we're doing a splurge (to make up for last fall disaster)-- first honeymoon, don't even have to get married!

Judge

Level 2 Member
as far as I can figure LA to OGG Avios is 37,500 since it's only 2 class?
Yes, 3x since it's "first class".

Your best bet is to use the companion pass with the alaska credit card to buy U class upgradable coach and then upgrade with MVP gold upgrade certs. Someone was selling some for $70 each in this forum.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Yes, 3x since it's "first class".

Your best bet is to use the companion pass with the alaska credit card to buy U class upgradable coach and then upgrade with MVP gold upgrade certs. Someone was selling some for $70 each in this forum.
What I meant --inarticulate is unusual -is there's no J available at 2x. I'm late to planning this and unfortunately don't have time for Alaska CC although I should apply now for future use.

I hadn't checked things out thoroughly and was 12,500 WC to Alaska! stuck in my head. That'll teach me for not learning how to book myself before Avios devaluates.

Still looking for other suggestions. Thanks.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Ideas? seems like it prolly needs to be cash?
Rule 1 - Don't book 2 class flights with Avios... if the 'bird' has only Economy and First seats it will charge you 3x for First. If you have a 3 class plane then you will be charged 1x economy, 2x biz 3x first. If you have a 2 class plane and want to fly in F then using your AA miles is a better option most times (if it is too short to be value on AA then you might want to be in coach anyway..)

I saw space on UA from LAX for 2 pax on the 19th...maybe more around that date that would be 46K each. You will also be paying a close in booking fee...That's LAX-HNL-OGG... there seems to be a non stop LAX-OGG too but hard to get space on...

Returning, this is a valid route:

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 3.16.54 PM.png

Sadly, this flight mixed cabin means that OGG-LAX is in Coach as there is no space... but the other legs are Biz.

The point (to be considered seriously) is that you can shift the dates on the those other flights... IE you could:

LAX>OGG (46K)
OGG>LAX (STOPOVER 6months or so)
LAX>SJO (42.5K)

Due to the award chart nuance, if you were to tie together this trip with your planned trip to Costa Rica, you'd actually pay less miles back from Hawaii to the mainland, and your one way to Costa Rica would also be free...