Building a website for a non-profit -what is a good/cheap site to build/host

beth p

Level 2 Member
I was tasked with building a website for one of the non-profits I'm involved with.
Optimist Club - Aiding local youth through enrichment programs
When I sold our house FSBO before I used vistaprint to do design/host our website, as we were already buying printed materials through them.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap & easy to use site to create and host a website with?
I need to keep the costs low on this.
Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I was tasked with building a website for one of the non-profits I'm involved with.
Optimist Club - Aiding local youth through enrichment programs
When I sold our house FSBO before I used vistaprint to do design/host our website, as we were already buying printed materials through them.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap & easy to use site to create and host a website with?
I need to keep the costs low on this.
Thanks!
You can set it up very cheaply-price depends on your functionality demands.

Add a link to a couple of sites you'd be happy producing for this and I'll see if I can tell you how to do that the most effectively.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Does that give your own url?

Hosting your own domain can start around 3-5 bucks a month.

bismark

Level 2 Member
Does that give your own url?
NearlyFreeSpeech let's you use your own domain. They will also sell you a domain (.com/.net/.org) for $9.49 and host your DNS for $.01/day, so ~$1.10 a month for your own domain (you may be able to better elsewhere for domain reg + dns but I appreciate the simplicity of keeping it all in one place).

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
What about a site like SquareSpace? Get a free domain with their hosting.
Pretty simple tools and templates. Not to mention they give a free trial.

http://www.squarespace.com/

You've probably seen them plugged everywhere in the tech world. They're pretty good. I gave their free trial a go. Pretty decent IMO vs starting your own WordPress etc.

Last edited:

beth p

Level 2 Member
Take a look at this hoster. Recommended! Or T1 on AWS (free for a year?) There is also weebly to consider.
Thanks everyone! I finally got around to this. I decided to go with weebly. I sent it to the group & we'll see what they say / changes. They were going to pay $400 to have someone make it. It took me an hour or so with weebly. It's pretty easy to use. It's free if I keep whateverIwant.weebly.com in the address. Hosting a domain is ~$4/mo to get weebly out of address.

meph

Level 2 Member
Not sure if this will work with weebly nor not, but you may try using namecheap.com to register a domain name (about $11 / year), then point it to your whateveryouwant.weebly.com address. This way you can use a real looking domain name, and still benefit from the free weebly hosting.

beth p

Level 2 Member
Thank you for the tip on namecheap.com! I will bring this up at the meeting and see if they want to try it out.

deemkaa

Level 2 Member
I'm looking for a cheap wordpress hosting service. Please let me know if you are aware of any specials or deals below $3 per month.